Ideas for Iona to the Canaries in March

Megabear2

7 hours ago, BrianI said:

In Tenerife take the tram to the old capital of La Laguna, high up in the mountains. You can buy a ticket at any tram stop using cash or credit card. Validate your ticket on the tram The fare is €1.35 each way and it takes around 30 mins. You can catch the tram at Fundacion, about a 10 min walk from the port. Look for the tram going up hill to La Trinidad, which is the Main Street in La Laguna. Take an extra layer of clothing as there is a distinct temperature change due to altitude. 
If you like shopping, on the way back, get off at the penultimate stop of Teatro Guimera and walk down the main shopping street back to the port

https://metrotenerife.com/routes-and-timetables/

Brian

That trip sounds good 🙂

I know the trams in Santa Cruz are wheelchair accessible, as we saw them last month but didn't go on one. How about La Laguna, suitable for a wheelchair user?    

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Madeira is a 20/30 minute walk from port to town, it isn't far in a straight line but you have to walk around the bay. 

Is that because it is a nice stroll, or is it a local bylaw? I don't want to get fined if we don't do it?😉

• Haha 1

Thank you @Megabear2 - I'm on this cruise too and so your questions are very useful, even though I was on a Canaries cruise last year and have visited all of the ports before.  However, I'm really keen to see Play Blanca on Lanzarote (before possibly committing to a land holiday there) and am so pleased that this cruise has an 'on your own' option to visit.  Last year's Canaries cruise (Princess) only offered Play del Carmen on your own, which we did but won't be back - not for us.

I agree that Teror in Gran Canaria is a pretty inland town and worth a stop - unless it's a Sunday when it is market day and can be crowded.  We were last there on a Celebrity cruise in late 2021 but we were only allowed off the ship on 'bubble' tours for Covid safety reasons. The joke was the tour guide set off before everyone got off the bus, at a pace, and fortunately we had been before and knew which way to head and lead the other 'stragglers' to the centre, which was packed as it was a Sunday.  So much for the Covid-safety measures!  It was so full, we couldn't find the rest of the group and so stopped another tour guide to ask for advice and he phoned the office, who told our guide he had to come and find us!

A note for those with limited mobility, although it is a pleasant and easy walk from the ship into the central, attractive parts of Lisbon, as is almost often the case, it's quite a walk just to get out of the port and so I find the ship's shuttle a useful way of doing the walk just one way.  There is plenty of seating options on the way back to the ship.  That is my memory of Cadiz also - very close to the centre but with mobility issues, a bit further 😉; lovely town however.

I'll be making notes of other recommendations 👍

• Like 3

On 2/3/2023 at 5:25 PM, Megabear2 said:

Yes we are! How exciting. I've tried three times to go to the observatory, twice cruises cancelled by covid and then the business with my aunt last year.  I shall get straight on it!  Thank you. 

I realise I am probably telling you something you already know, but I have just been checking this excursion and realise it is just star gazing on mt.Teide. Not the observatory. I thought I would mention as I don't want to mislead you, sorry 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, happy v said:

I realise I am probably telling you something you already know, but I have just been checking this excursion and realise it is just star gazing on mt.Teide. Not the observatory. I thought I would mention as I don't want to mislead you, sorry 

Thank you. Yes, I checked it out and saw no observatory.  I'm looking into the same trip I booked previously but this time independently.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2023 at 9:24 PM, Megabear2 said:

Thank you, no I haven't.  Only thing I've done outside the main town was a trip to see the Spanish Riding School many years ago,  is Jerez the home of sherry?

Jerez is indeed the home of sherry.  My first job after leaving college was 6 years in Jerez with Harveys (producers of Bristol Cream sherry).  A visit to a sherry bodega could be very interesting.  Most of the big names offer visits.