Library question

christyatsea

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can please tell me if the library (on Regatta, if it's different on different ships) also has some type of book swap where passengers can exchange a book they've finished with for one a previous passenger has left?

Also, can you take a coffee/drink into the library?

Thanks in advance.

50 minutes ago, sitraveler said:

The R ship library is much superior to the newer ships.

Boy, is it ever!  The libraries on Marina and Riviera look like they were squeezed into nooks and crannies after being left out of the blueprints.  The chairs are so close to the shelves that it can be difficult to browse without bumping into readers (and sleepers) sitting in the furniture.  Terrible design.

And yes, we've often swapped books we've brought aboard and finished for books left behind by other pax.  

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 3

I brought my Americano fresh from Baristas 20 feet away into the library on Riviera last month.  Did not see anything prohibiting it.  At least on the Riviera, it is a nice space with comfortable chairs but not overly huge.  If people are sitting it makes it difficult, if not impossible to look for books in those sections.  Of course I found it empty more than I found it filled. I did not go up when we first got on the ship but I would next cruise.  On the last day I saw the return table filled with books that had not been there when I went on the second day.

One other note.  At least from my experience the library is not filled with best selling fiction or what I would consider resort reading.  This is a real library with a variety of subjects.  If you are looking for dozens of Grisham, Patterson, etc.  Best to bring your own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Oceania keeps up with all the new books so you dont have depend on a book swap..

Very true.  However, it's the old books that people sometimes leave behind that make for interesting swaps.  And because we always read at least 3-4 books on any cruise -- more on a trans-oceanic -- we always bring at least a couple of books each in case not enough of O's offerings appeal to our tastes.  

• Like 1

Thanks so much, these are all really helpful insights. I'll bring a few books with me but I always love the serendipity of a book exchange. I'm mostly a literary fiction reader but it sounds like there'll be plenty of avenues for finding something to read. Thanks 🙂 

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

There  is  a designated  cupboard  for the book swap just look for the sign

Thanks.  I didn't even notice.  But that's no surprise, as "our place" was the Sanctuary area.  I guess that doesn't exist on the newer ships?  A shame.

Anyway, we just left some books in our suite each time, and hoped they'd find a new home somewhere... with crew, in the library, just someplace to be enjoyed...

Now I know better. 🙂 

GC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woofa said:

I brought my Americano fresh from Baristas 20 feet away into the library on Riviera last month.  Did not see anything prohibiting it.  At least on the Riviera, it is a nice space with comfortable chairs but not overly huge.  If people are sitting it makes it difficult, if not impossible to look for books in those sections.  Of course I found it empty more than I found it filled. I did not go up when we first got on the ship but I would next cruise.  On the last day I saw the return table filled with books that had not been there when I went on the second day.

One other note.  At least from my experience the library is not filled with best selling fiction or what I would consider resort reading.  This is a real library with a variety of subjects.  If you are looking for dozens of Grisham, Patterson, etc.  Best to bring your own.