No tchotchke's on Serenade of the Seas

mojomanny

22 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Well that and how many lobsters one can eat

Or stuff into a zip lock bag! Or if the crew will remember me and think that I am special because I claim to tip every possible crew member - including the Captain - with a $2 bill.

Edited by RD64
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Sure, you are late to the party.

When the ship was built in 2001, the entrance to the Schooner lounge started amidships and ran from side of the ship to the other. It contain a stage (platform) for a live music and a dance floor.

After it first destructive dry dock, the two specialty restaurants and associated service areas were taken from the Schooner lounge area.

In the same way, the Windjammer is about a third of the size it used to be before that area was carved out to add the two specialty restaurants at the aft end.  The access to the deck with outdoor seating was lost, as well as the bar that serviced the area.

The bright airy Centrum which used to be open from deck 4 up to deck ten. Either side on all decks contained lounge areas to sit that were glass floor to ceiling windows on the sides of the ship (you can see the sad remnants of those windows).

All the glass windows of the multi story Centrum core and other extensive use of glass were to give  the ships a light filled interior and those ships were known as the "Radiance" class.

More cabins were jammed into the ship (deletion of the library, game room  and cabins in what was once open lounge area of the decks around the central Centrum area.

The  deletion of the open public spaces with the addition of more passengers is what leads to the overcrowded conditions on board. 

Yep, tiny old Club Concierge was there when we sailed in 2008. Cute, but not functional as a gathering place. I recall Yacht Club outside. Well, at least a sofa and a couple chairs😉

Seaview Cafe was still there as well. 

Personally, the only true mistake adding cabins was in the private dining room on 4. Just my opinion. On Serenade now with around 2200 folks, doesn't seem crowded to me

Now I will admit Legend and Splendor Centrums truly got butchered adding cabins.

Edited by John&LaLa

16 hours ago, publicpersona said:

You are mistaken on all counts. Sounds like you are describing the Colony Club, which is on the aft end. The pool tables are between Schooner and Colony Club. These images are from 2001 and show Portofino's and Chops exactly where the specialty restaurants are today.

schooner4.jpg

schooner3.jpg

schooner2.jpg

schooner1.jpg

Thanks, didn't think I was uninformed 😁

Getting back to the original thread topic...  This must be a new thing.

We were on Serenade a month ago, they were handing out highlighters to the trivia winners (in the Schooner bar).  One gentleman had about 8 or 9 of them. (he would stand by the piano and hold them up for all to see)  I'm guessing he likes trivia contests and has a lot of things to highlight on his paper cruise compass.  😉 

On the Explorer back in October of 2022, there were no prizes.  Just the "you won a free dinner at the MDR or Windjammer" joke.

Edited by paross4