Celebrity Shuttle from Venice to Ravenna?

tenmile

I have read that RCCL has shuttle transportation from Venice to the port of Ravenna the day of the ship's scheduled departure. I haven't seen anything about the shuttle service being offered by Celebrity even though they are owned by RCCL. Does anyone know if Celebrity offers this service? If so, does the shuttle leave from the airport or the Venice City Center? I appreciate any information anyone can share. Thanks.

I boarded Constellation in Ravenna last October, after having flown in from Venice the day before. Celebrity offered shuttles to Ravenna from Venice for a reasonable price (considering that it is a two-hour drive). I believe the cost was around $58 USD. The shuttles depart from either the airport (if you are flying in on the day of the cruise -- not recommended) or from an area convenient to Venice proper, e.g., Tronchetto, a parking/transportation area easily reached by taking the People Mover from Piazzale Roma.

I read about the shuttle here but as you say Celebrity was not super helpful. My TA booked it for me.  

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I boarded Constellation in Ravenna last October, after having flown in from Venice the day before. Celebrity offered shuttles to Ravenna from Venice for a reasonable price (considering that it is a two-hour drive). I believe the cost was around $58 USD. The shuttles depart from either the airport (if you are flying in on the day of the cruise -- not recommended) or from an area convenient to Venice proper, e.g., Tronchetto, a parking/transportation area easily reached by taking the People Mover from Piazzale Roma.

I read about the shuttle here but as you say Celebrity was not super helpful. My TA booked it for me.  

Thanks so much for this information. Do you recall the time of morning it leaves? Did you feel you arrived at the ship with plenty of time to get settled before sailaway?

1 hour ago, tenmile said:

Thanks so much for this information. Do you recall the time of morning it leaves? Did you feel you arrived at the ship with plenty of time to get settled before sailaway?

There were two departure options. I believe they were 9:00 am and 11:00 am. I opted for the 11:00 am as I wanted to take a morning walk around Venice and didn't want to be in a rush.

When we got to Ravenna, there was some kind of inspection of the boarding area by port authorities, so we had to sit in the buses for about 30 minutes before joining quite a long line for processing and getting onboard. That said, it moved pretty quickly and didn't seem unreasonable, although some were pitching hissy fits.

1 hour ago, redwings1958 said:

We are taking the TrenItalia Bullet train from Venezia to Ravenna;  2.5 hrs. and one connection stop.  I love trains way more than buses

That's fine if you pack light-ish. But keep in mind that you will have to:

-- Get your luggage to the train station and loaded onto train (no porters)

-- Get off train at your change point (usually Ferrara) and get to your next train, again loading your own luggage

-- Get off the train at Ravenna station, which is still 30 minutes to the ship. So you either end up on a shuttle bus anyway from the station to the port (having shuffled your luggage 3 times) or you take a taxi, if one is available...

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's fine if you pack light-ish. But keep in mind that you will have to:

-- Get your luggage to the train station and loaded onto train (no porters)

-- Get off train at your change point (usually Ferrara) and get to your next train, again loading your own luggage

-- Get off the train at Ravenna station, which is still 30 minutes to the ship. So you either end up on a shuttle bus anyway from the station to the port (having shuffled your luggage 3 times) or you take a taxi, if one is available...

These are minor things.  I NEVER use porters anyway; we pack light[ 1 suitcase each], and bologna is the xfer point.  Don't have to worry about traffic jams, free to walk about, wifi,  and a lot cheaper

2 minutes ago, redwings1958 said:

These are minor things.  I NEVER use porters anyway; we pack light[ 1 suitcase each], and bologna is the xfer point.  Don't have to worry about traffic jams, free to walk about, wifi,  and a lot cheaper

Great!  😁

I like the trains too, especially the Frecce but not everyone is aware of the process, which can present some obstacles for those who are not as mobile and who don't pack light.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruisemom42 and Redwings1958, thank you both for your recommendations. One more question as I finally try to pull this trip together ( and am doing this much later than usual for me): From your experiences, do  either of you have hotel recommendations for Venice in the mid price range? We were there 12 years ago and stayed at the Hilton Molino Stuckey, but this time we have our children and granddaughter (17) traveling  with us and are looking for a moderately priced hotel ($100 to no more than $200) per night. Thanks!