What to do in Florence?

cruisin73

There are several leather markets if you are shoppers (also gold jewelry and lots of designer fashion). 

There is the Mercato Centrale if you're foodies -- a large building with several storeys of food shops, including goods such as pastas and olive oil as well as places to grab a bite to eat -- you can sample from several different places. Sometimes they have live cooking demos. s

There are a number of artisan shops across the river from the main central area of Florence -- this area is known as Altrarno (meaning "across the Arno"), it's fun to just stroll there and look into shops where you might see frame makers, paper makers, antiques repair and sales, etc.

If there's something you are particularly looking for, maybe we can provide better suggestions.

13 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

Are you looking for something different from museums, art galleries, palaces, gardens, and churches? You can cross the beautiful Ponte Vecchio covered bridge and hike to Piazza Michelangelo for the incredible view. 

We also enjoy a slow walk along the Arno River.  There is a decent walkway on the south bank (heading east).  We also will give a strong recommendation to try some gelato.  And then have some more gelato :).  For us, we have found the best gelato at unknown places while the famous place, Vivoli, we thought somewhat of a rip-off, often with a long line, and not as good as other gelato we had around town.  You can find various web sites that list and rate the better gelato places.  

Hank

These are all such great suggestions.  Walking along and going over the Bridge that is over the Arno river would be awesome since my grandfathers name was Arno.  We will be celebrating our 25th wedding Anniversary while on this trip and my husband just said last night that maybe we will go into some jewelry stores to pick up new wedding bands or a nice  new ring for us.  If you have any suggestions on any specific jewelry stores that would be much appreciated.

We are foodies and plan to have lunch while visiting Florence. A good pizza or some fresh Pasta would be good. 

Also we are not leaving Florence with out some Gelato.  Any store you suggest?

Thank you all so much for your help.

• Like 1

We were going to go up to the top of the Duomo anyway, but I'd read about a “Terraces of the Cathedral” tour in Rick Steeves’ guide for just a few Euros more (It’s 8 to enter and climb vs 15 to take this tour--admittedly a few years back, so you may want to make sure this is still happening, and pricing has certainly changed).

You have to go to the Duomo Museum (across the street from the back of the cathedral) to purchase the tickets, and it’s limited to about 20 or so people. But for the extra Euros, you get to skip the lines, get a guide to show you the details of the cathedral, and got to go on some scary interior and exterior terraces that other folks don't get to see (NOT for the acrophobic!) on your way to the cut the line for the second half of the interior dome climb. 

I recommend taking a bus to Piazza Michelangelo for the incredible view.  The scenery if you hike isn't anything special and it is tiring.  Reservations would be required for Sostanza where we had an incredible meal.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:22 PM, Senga said:

I recommend taking a bus to Piazza Michelangelo for the incredible view.  The scenery if you hike isn't anything special and it is tiring.  Reservations would be required for Sostanza where we had an incredible meal.

We did hike up and I would agree that it is hard work through uninspiring streets. It was worth it though, as the views are amazing, with the classic view over Florence and the Duomo. If you can be there for sunset it is particularly memorable.