Cruise line with best buffets

lenquixote66

Am shocked to see you asking this question since we have followed your posts for years :).  I think that all past reviews/opinions are now defunct as just about every cruise line has changed and cut-back on their Lidos.  At one time I would have quickly said "Celebrity" but that was before Lisa Lutoff-Perlo took over the line and started her "death by a thousand cut-backs"  (the quotes are mine).  In terms of quality items, we have been very pleased with Seabourn where they have their Collonade with a relatively small (but very high quality) buffet coupled with some table service.  Since we resumed cruising (after the COVID shutdown) we have only been on Princess and MSC (Yacht Club) and not particular wowed by any of the buffets.   We have two upcoming cruises on two other lines (HAL and Explora Journeys) so perhaps we will finally find a decent buffet.  

By the way, if it is about cookies you can cruise on Princess and simply go to their International Cafe (open 24/7) where they always have decent cookies (including oatmeal).  As to ice cream. they do have gelato (made onboard) although there is a charge.  MSC also has several gelato venues with decent stuff (for a fee).

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Am shocked to see you asking this question since we have followed your posts for years :).  I think that all past reviews/opinions are now defunct as just about every cruise line has changed and cut-back on their Lidos.  At one time I would have quickly said "Celebrity" but that was before Lisa Lutoff-Perlo took over the line and started her "death by a thousand cut-backs"  (the quotes are mine).  In terms of quality items, we have been very pleased with Seabourn where they have their Collonade with a relatively small (but very high quality) buffet coupled with some table service.  Since we resumed cruising (after the COVID shutdown) we have only been on Princess and MSC (Yacht Club) and not particular wowed by any of the buffets.   We have two upcoming cruises on two other lines (HAL and Explora Journeys) so perhaps we will finally find a decent buffet.  

By the way, if it is about cookies you can cruise on Princess and simply go to their International Cafe (open 24/7) where they always have decent cookies (including oatmeal).  As to ice cream. they do have gelato (made onboard) although there is a charge.  MSC also has several gelato venues with decent stuff (for a fee).

Hank

Why are you shocked ?

• 2 weeks later...

Great cruise line buffets have gone the way of the Midnight Buffet!  Years ago there were some really grand buffets.  The absolute best was on HAPAG LLOYD.  There were some great ones on early Celebrity ships and ships serviced by Apollo Catering were really great.  Today…nothing even comes close.  Even Oceania and Azamara have gone down hill.  Supply shortages and rising food costs have killed the Grand Buffet…sadly.