Jacques Pepin

Bongomauka

Hello all,

We signed up for a class with Jacques Pepin on our cruise on the Marina. I was wondering if the chef was open to signing books that we bring on board. If he doesn't or we aren't allowed to ask then I'm leaving my books at home. But if anyone out there has had the experience with him on board either running into him or in one of the cooking classes, please let me know. Also an option would be for me to buy a new book on board but do they have those on sale?  It'll save me from dragging my book all the way to Miami and dragging it all the way back from Rome if I knew what others' experiences were. Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm sort of a foodie but not a crazed fan so you won't be encouraging any insane fandom behavior.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bongomauka said:

Hello all,

We signed up for a class with Jacques Pepin on our cruise on the Marina. I was wondering if the chef was open to signing books that we bring on board. If he doesn't or we aren't allowed to ask then I'm leaving my books at home. But if anyone out there has had the experience with him on board either running into him or in one of the cooking classes, please let me know. Also an option would be for me to buy a new book on board but do they have those on sale?  It'll save me from dragging my book all the way to Miami and dragging it all the way back from Rome if I knew what others' experiences were. Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm sort of a foodie but not a crazed fan so you won't be encouraging any insane fandom behavior.

Are many you’ve sure you signed up for a class taught by Jacques Pepin OR is it just a class on Jaques Pepin recipes? 

1 minute ago, Bongomauka said:

I believe we have signed up for a cooking class in the demonstration kitchen. I’ve taken cooking classes on a previous cruise on the marina and it’s a small classroom/lab with individual cooking stations. 

We’ve taken many O cooking classes on Marina and Riviera at their Culinary Center - even had an opportunity once to chat briefly with Pepin (see pic). But, the only “demonstration kitchen” on the existing O ships is the show lounge, which has a temporary setup for cooking demos (some of which do have limited/reserved seating).

3D5A81BE-79C0-4553-868A-C2856184C605.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Bongomauka said:

I believe we have signed up for a cooking class in the demonstration kitchen. I’ve taken cooking classes on a previous cruise on the marina and it’s a small classroom/lab with individual cooking stations. 

Did you sign up for 'In the Kitchen With Jacques' with this description:  Help us celebrate the glorious career of our Executive Culinary Director, Jacques Pépin. Regarded in the chef community as the master of technique, Jacques has demonstrated a lifelong passion for culinary technique that inspired this class. Brush up on your knife skills and master the emulsion – the secret to perfect salad dressings. Prepare a collection of delicious dishes while practicing the basic techniques that chefs have learned from Jacques over the past six decades.

If so, I would imagine that's just one of the normal cooking classes on Marina - unless you're booked on a special culinary cruise that he will be on?  

I believe we have signed up for a cooking class in the classroom kitchen. I’ve taken cooking classes on a previous cruise on the marina and it’s a small classroom/lab with individual cooking stations. I thought that’s what I was signing up on with the chef teaching our small class. Was I wrong?

IF, Jacques is on board, there will be an opportunity to buy a book and he will sign it at the event. At least that is what happened in Sept of 19 when he was onboard our sailing. He also did a cooking demonstration with his wife. This was before she passed. They were great together. 

Just a heads up, don't be that jerk that bothers him at dinner while he's enjoying time with his family and friends to ask him to take a picture with you. There's a time and place for everything, that is not the time nor the place. Yes, we did see this happen while he was dining in Jacques with his family. He was quite gracious and got up and posed for a picture with them.

I have to admit I was curious what he ordered there. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. I always feel that public personalities deserve a private life so I'm not planning to be that jerk who bothers him and/or his family but thank for standing in for my parents and telling what to do. 

Edited by Bongomauka
  • Haha 3

We are also booked on Marina April 6 and I am not aware Jacques Pepin is to be on board. Would love to hear more about this. Sounds as though you may have signed up for the regular cooking classes. We were told on Riviera last March Jacques Pepin would likely not be coming back on board again.

Jacques was on our Christmas trip on Riviera in December. He did 2 book signings, a demonstration and a “fireside chat”. 

Seemed like a nice chap and had lots of time for the guests and time for the staff who came to chat to him. 

If you do get to see Monsieur Pepin, then maybe ask him to sign a bookplate which you could then stick in your Pepin books.  It would save you the extra weight...... https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Dresmannst-Bookplate-Owl-Libris-Style/dp/B07QM2RNJL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3IK9EN7F9V9GZ&keywords=ex+libris+sticker&qid=1675856351&sprefix=ex+libris+sticker%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-4

Looks like I was wrong about Monsieur Pepin. He will apparently be on dry land while I'm getting seasick eating food prepared by his underlings and taking classes taught by his minions who allow me to accidently cut my hands while making little pig shaped lemons and radish flowers to garnish the amateurish dishes I struggle to cook on a rocking boat while drinking too much wine paired with the underdressed and undercooked slop that I just threw together per the bored chef/teacher's imperious commands. But no, I am not at all bitter.

• Haha 8

Sorry you will not get to meet Mr. Pepin.  That would be a fun food adventure.  We were just on Riviera and took one of the culinary classes. I am sure others will chime in if their experiences were different but in our class you had no opportunity to cut yourself since we never had access to a knife.  Even the burners were turned off and on by assistants.  We did enjoy it but would think hard before spending the money for another.  Ours was really not a class for people with decent cooking skills to get right in there and be challenged.  Most of the hands on stuff which could have an element of danger was taken out.  We also did not find it to be forcefully social as other classes we have taken at places like Sur Le Table or Central Market could be at least prior to covid.  However our teacher was great and had been an assistant to Julia Child for many years so we felt it was fun and nice but maybe not having a "wow" factor.  Hope others let us know of their experiences and that you have fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bongomauka said:

Looks like I was wrong about Monsieur Pepin. He will apparently be on dry land while I'm getting seasick eating food prepared by his underlings and taking classes taught by his minions who allow me to accidently cut my hands while making little pig shaped lemons and radish flowers to garnish the amateurish dishes I struggle to cook on a rocking boat while drinking too much wine paired with the underdressed and undercooked slop that I just threw together per the bored chef/teacher's imperious commands. But no, I am not at all bitter.

That is too bad

We found  the Chef in the culinary classes to be quite good

Maybe just save your money & book La Reserve  where  the food will be prepared for you  while you are drinking too much wine 🍷

• Haha 1

Seriously, I’ve taken a cooking class on the Marina and I actually very much enjoyed the experience. I do a bit of cooking and though there wasn’t a lot of challenges in the preparation and cooking in this class, it was something different to do on a sea day and I learned a bit. There are worse ways to spend an hour or two. 

• Like 1