Main Dinning Room

Since this is my first cruise ever I have some questions about the main dinning room. We will be on the Oasis in March for 7 days. We have a dinner set time of 5:30 in the MDR. Here are my questions.

Does the main dinning room serve breakfast and or lunch?

If so what time slots are available for this?

If they do serve breakfast and/or lunch do we need to let them know we are coming?

How crowded does it get if they serve breakfast/lunch?

Is it any good? (I know this may spark a lot of opinions but willing to see what comes from the question)

If we are not coming to dinner do we need to notify them before? 

If so how much advanced time do we need to give?

Do we have an assigned table for the whole trip? 

Do we have any choice in which table we get?

Any advice?

BTW we chose not to do any specialty dinning. We are not that picky and it seems like there is a decent selection without paying extra.

Thank you in advance for any information.

• Like 1

@StickyWombat

The MDR is open daily for breakfast and for lunch on sea days.  Seating for both breakfast and lunch is on a first come, first seated basis.  Reservations are only made for dinner service.

How good or bad is a very personal decision.  You’ll read opinions on good or bad here on CC.  

If you will not be dining in the MDR one night you do not have to tell them but I recommend you do let them know.  I would let them know as soon as you know you will not be dining that evening. 

You are assigned a table for the entire cruise.  What we do when dining in the MDR is go to the dining room soon after embarkation and see where our table is.  If we do not like the location of our table we speak with the maitre’d or the head waiter who is normally stationed at a podium at the MDR entrance on embarkation day.  Otherwise you will be seated at you assigned table when you arrive for you 5:30 reservation. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, StickyWombat said:

If we are not coming to dinner do we need to notify them before? 

If so how much advanced time do we need to give?

Do we have an assigned table for the whole trip? 

Do we have any choice in which table we get?

If you are sharing a table with others, your tablemates won’t wait in vain for you before ordering.  
Since you have selected traditional dining at 5:30, will have the same table for the entire cruise.  The table number will be on the app and on your seas pass card.

If you have a table request, email it to rcldining@rccl.com about 2 weeks before your cruise.  Wait until then so the email arrives as they are ready to work on the seating plan for your cruise; they’ll be doing other cruises sooner.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

You are assigned a table for the entire cruise. 

Based on the specific question you asked this answer is currently correct.

However, for completeness, if you booked flexible dining then the same table is not guaranteed.

• Like 1