Flea Market at Puerto Vallarta Port

patcacmt

Hello - do the vendors at the flea market stalls near the PV port take pesos, or do they prefer US dollars?  Just curious - may have some pesos left over by our last port stop there and may do a little shopping there. 

7 hours ago, patcacmt said:

Hello - do the vendors at the flea market stalls near the PV port take pesos, or do they prefer US dollars?  Just curious - may have some pesos left over by our last port stop there and may do a little shopping there. 

If you mean the flea market area down past the Malecon...yes they take USD. We were just there 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

If you mean the flea market area down past the Malecon...yes they take USD. We were just there 2 weeks ago.

I am assuming this is the flea market right next to the Cruise Visitors' Center, off to the right as you leave the ship.  Nowhere near the Malecon.  

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I am assuming this is the flea market right next to the Cruise Visitors' Center, off to the right as you leave the ship.  Nowhere near the Malecon.  

Oh that old tiny little one by a bar. We don't bother with that one any longer...I assumed it was the larger area past the Malecon. Regardless they'll take USD as you know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2023 at 9:08 PM, Ashland said:

Oh that old tiny little one by a bar. We don't bother with that one any longer...I assumed it was the larger area past the Malecon. Regardless they'll take USD as you know.

Can someone describe both of the flea markets mentioned in this thread? Which sells what, that sort of information.  What else is nearby ? Thanks!

On 2/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, M5M said:

Can someone describe both of the flea markets mentioned in this thread? Which sells what, that sort of information.  What else is nearby ? Thanks!

Go to the end of the Malecon and just under the bridge there are tent vendors...we also go up the stairs or cross the swinging bridge at the end/middle of this area and there are many indoor type vendors in several buildings.

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized I had replied but I was speaking of the one by the cruise port, not by the Malecon. (Edited to remove). As others stated either location should take USD.

Edited by oyme
I was speaking of the wrong flea market

Hey all, my wife and I will be there in October on a cruise and are excited to hit a good flea market. Authentic Mexican souvenirs, good street food, phony handbags and watches, we love it all!  As this will be our first time in PV we have no idea where anything is, let alone how to get there from the cruise ship port. Is anybody willing to help a n00bie out and point me/us in the right direction? Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, NickQ said:

Hey all, my wife and I will be there in October on a cruise and are excited to hit a good flea market. Authentic Mexican souvenirs, good street food, phony handbags and watches, we love it all!  As this will be our first time in PV we have no idea where anything is, let alone how to get there from the cruise ship port. Is anybody willing to help a n00bie out and point me/us in the right direction? Thanks! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic: We've port stopped many times in PV in October (just this past October actually) weather was great.

There will be shuttle or taxi transportation ($5.00 pp one way) that will drop you off very close to the beginning of the Malecon. We like to shop at the far end under the bridge. This will make more sense to you once you're there. We find the shops along the Malecon to be priced higher and you certainly can't haggle with them. I prefer the tent and flea market area. Neither will be hard to fine. Several open air restaurants along the Malecon...we like the one across from where the guy plays chess...again easy to find.

Once you're ready to return to the ship go over one block behind the Malecon and flag down a taxi and tell him back to the ship/port and again $5.00pp.

• Thanks 1

Hey thanks for the info! Based on your instructions I am certain I found it on Google street view: the pedestrian Malecon forks, with one way going over via a pedestrian bridge, and the second leading to a large round open area nearer the beach, with street vendors beginning under the bridge. Looks like fun! 

• Like 1

In PV, there is also a flea market by the cruise terminal.  Off to the right when you exit the cruise terminal.  I have not compared prices or selection with the flea market by the river (at the south end of the Malecon, which Ashland is referring to).  

I like the flea market at the Cruise Terminal because I can wander there while waiting for my wife to get ready to head out into PV.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

In PV, there is also a flea market by the cruise terminal.  Off to the right when you exit the cruise terminal.  I have not compared prices or selection with the flea market by the river (at the south end of the Malecon, which Ashland is referring to).  

I like the flea market at the Cruise Terminal because I can wander there while waiting for my wife to get ready to head out into PV.

Oh that's a good point. Thanks for the info! 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the Walmart across the street from the cruise port in Puerto Vallarta does sell some Mexican tourist items (coffee mugs, fridge magnets, keyrings, etc.). Prices obviously in Pesos, and no negotiating the price, lol. The section is right in the front of the store near the self-pay cash registers.

Edited by Starlight Durban Cruising