Chankanaab Cozumel Excursion From MSC On The Meraviglia.

tonyfall1

Hello,

I booked the Chankanaab excursion from MSC as one of my excursions on my cruise with them.  I assumed transport, food and drink was included. I was reading through the excursion threads on the forum and it seems like depending on the line, some did not include transport, some did not include food and drink. Has anyone booked this excursion and can you tell me if transport, food and drink is included?

Description from MSC site that I booked:

Spend a few relaxing hours off the ship in one of Cozumel's most beautiful locations, the Chankonabe National Park, an enchanting beachfront area and protected marine reserve. With only a short drive from the cruise terminal to begin your tour, you can then enjoy the all-inclusive facilities and attractions of the park, among which snorkelling in the shallow beachside waters is one of the most popular. Gear up and indulge in an adventurous swim through the shoals of multi-coloured fish that call the reef their home, but also look out for various underwater statues that form part of the marine reserve. Further attractions in the park included free sea lion shows, the Blue Lagoon inland coral reef to visit, and a lush botanical garden with replicas of Mayan archaeological finds, a reproduction Mayan village and the Hacienda Antigua, the perfect spot to sample different kinds of tequila. While at the park, you'll be free to use the beachfront Palapas (a kind of thatched gazebo), showers, changing rooms, beach chairs and hammocks.

I have not done the excursion through MSC, but it is very easy to go to Chankanaab on your own. You can book several options directly online (with or without food, dolphin swims, etc.), then take a taxi to / from Chankanaab. Taxi fare is usually $ 15-18 each way for up to 4 people from the downtown pier.  You would need to determine if the cost to go independently was more or less than the excursion. The advantage to going independently is that you can stay as long as want to as long as you get back to the ship before the all aboard time. 

If you are just wanting a nice beach day with food and drinks, Nachi Cocum, Mr Sanchos, Playa Mia, Paradise Beach are all probably better than Chankanaab.  If you plan on snorkeling, going to the sea lion show, etc., then Chankanaab is fine.

• Like 3

I did.. I pasted it in my question. In the port forums someone from Carnival posted a very similar description. It said "a short drive" but that short drive was not included. It also said "use all inclusive facilities" but that did not include food or drink, only the facilities. They were mad cause they felt it was misleading. That is why I am wondering if anyone has done this one with MSC because it is worded very similarly. From the verbiage which is in my initial post, I assumed the ride and since it is an AI the drinks and food were included.

Edited by tonyfall1

Ok that's what I was afraid of. The only reason I booked through MSC was the security of knowing they would wait for me if something happened, but now it looks like I will be on my own and the wording is very shady, AI is typically food and drink. The references to transportation and AI should be removed, it seems like others have also fallen for this. I assume I can't cancel.

Edited by tonyfall1

5 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

Ok that's what I was afraid of. The only reason I booked through MSC was the security of knowing they would wait for me if something happened, but now it looks like I will be on my own and the wording is very shady, AI is typically food and drink. The references to transportation and AI should be removed, it seems like others have also fallen for this. I assume I can't cancel.

Deceptive for sure!  Can you cancel?  It’s an easy excursion on your own and you don’t end up waiting on a group as you experience the lovely site.   Good luck!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

. I assume I can't cancel.

you should be able to cancel up to 24 hours prior to the excursion. I would call before the cruise and cancel. They will tell you to allow two billing cycles for your refund the post, but I have found it’s generally 2 to 3 weeks.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 4:08 PM, tonyfall1 said:

Hello,

I booked the Chankanaab excursion from MSC as one of my excursions on my cruise with them.  I assumed transport, food and drink was included. I was reading through the excursion threads on the forum and it seems like depending on the line, some did not include transport, some did not include food and drink. Has anyone booked this excursion and can you tell me if transport, food and drink is included?

Description from MSC site that I booked:

Spend a few relaxing hours off the ship in one of Cozumel's most beautiful locations, the Chankonabe National Park, an enchanting beachfront area and protected marine reserve. With only a short drive from the cruise terminal to begin your tour, you can then enjoy the all-inclusive facilities and attractions of the park, among which snorkelling in the shallow beachside waters is one of the most popular. Gear up and indulge in an adventurous swim through the shoals of multi-coloured fish that call the reef their home, but also look out for various underwater statues that form part of the marine reserve. Further attractions in the park included free sea lion shows, the Blue Lagoon inland coral reef to visit, and a lush botanical garden with replicas of Mayan archaeological finds, a reproduction Mayan village and the Hacienda Antigua, the perfect spot to sample different kinds of tequila. While at the park, you'll be free to use the beachfront Palapas (a kind of thatched gazebo), showers, changing rooms, beach chairs and hammocks.

You don't need them. $12 (I think)cab ride each way.

Ask for AI package. Under $100 for two people. Food is at the dolphin restaurant and it's buffet style. Not the best but it's ok. Open bar is included on the basic well drinks all day. Top waiter $2 each time and you get excellent service.

The chairs and such are free anyway.

There are many snorkel and dive shops there renting stuff cheap.

I was there 3 weeks ago on Meraviglia 

Not sure if you've already sailed or not, but we just got off the Meraviglia last Sunday and took an excursion to Chankanaab for snorkeling the previous Friday.  Like you, we booked the excursion even though we have been in Cozumel several times and Chankanaab twice before...'cuz there were five ships in port that day, and we wanted to make sure we'd get back on time.  We've seen some tight traffic snarls in San Miguel [once with 7 ships in port and stop and go to get out of town].  The RCL Allure was docked alongside us that day...and we experienced a line to get back onboard like we had never seen before at that International dock [why was Meraviglia docking there anyway...usually they dock at Punta Lagosta].  The line [to get back to the ships at inside the port] stretched all the way back past the port stores street entrance 'winding' back around.  You'd have to have seen it to believe how long it was [to go through the security check].   People had to be in the line for close to an hour [just a guesstimate].  Luckily for us, it was mostly for the Allure.  

Yes, it's quite easy to get to Chankanaab on your own...but with a lot of ships in port, well, we don't want to be on one of those 'pier runner' videos we all get such a kick out of, ha.  And yes, traffic was bad that day [but once out of town it was ok].

Our excursion DID take us to the Chankanaab park [taxi ride]...but the wording for your's does seem quite ambiguous.  It's a great beach snorkel there...and lots of solid chairs and lounges and several bars.  Even so, it was filling up as we left the water [around noon]. Some of the Cozumel beaches try to be more for kiddies [the blow up slides and stuff]...and some have  murkier water and not great [IMHO].  Chankanaab has always been crystal clear times we've been there and there's fair amount of coral and several places with stairs for easy entry/exit.  A great place and one of the best beach snorkels we've found [Saint Lucia and off Mahagony beach in Honduras are good one's too..."for off a beach"].  Even some Myan relics back in the woods there that's interesting.  

Beware some of the vendors up by the tequila tasting area.  My wife bought a gift for a relative and we were double charged [having my credit card company try and remedy the situation even now...will take weeks].  He even charged us 25% more than the price he said...but that was my fault for not checking the peso to dollar calculation [dummy me].  Not sure if I should complain to MSC [it was their excursion] or even Chankanaab park itself?  Getting ripped off in Mexico is...well, I won't say it's typical...but you gotta be on your toes there.    

I write too much; sorry...but we were just there.  A great place and you'll have a good time I'm sure.  Wish I could help on the transportation question as the description does sound...well, it's not clear.  

• Like 1

What everyone here has said. If you can cancel, do so, then go on your own.

Cozumel is such an easy port to grab a taxi at. Once you walk thru the little shopping area, there will be lines of them waiting, and signs with prices to all the different beaches.

• Like 1