Booking a March cruise on N.Amsterdam

coffee59

I am in the process of booking a March 19, 2023 cruise on the N.Amsterdam.  I am surprised there are so many cabins remaining.  Does no one want to sail on this ship?  Is there an issue with her that I don't know about?  Thanks.

Well here is the last refurb info so I don't think it has to do with drydock.  Some experienced cruisers will avoid a cruise just before or just after a drydock.  https://www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/ms-Nieuw-Amsterdam-559

Maybe count yourself lucky.  I loved NA when I sailed her a year ago.  I love both the signature class HAL ships; Eurodam and NA.  

You might still be getting spring break passengers on that cruise. I did the week before on that ship and there were lots of people with kids. Perhaps many don’t want a repeat of that. Or, it’s just after spring break and hence the fewer amount of people? I’ve been on that ship twice and didn’t notice any issues, although I think I read on another thread that she is having azipod issues. 

The 3/5 sailing is showing SOLD OUT on the online TA agent site we use.  The 3/26 sailing shows no balcony cabins available to sell. The prices for the rest of March are twice as much as what we paid in November.  That's just a random look. Demand must be there for March. 

We've sailed on the Nieuw Amsterdam several times over the years....Last time was 12/2021 and all great cruises.

Enjoy!

Edited by FlaMariner

At the time we booked our April 9 Panama Canal cruise, we were told the Nieuw Amsterdam was scheduled for dry dock in March 2023. From the schedule, I believe that was cancelled (maybe due to a charter booking), and the other cruise was recently added. 

1 hour ago, coffee59 said:

I am in the process of booking a March 19, 2023 cruise on the N.Amsterdam.  I am surprised there are so many cabins remaining.  Does no one want to sail on this ship?  Is there an issue with her that I don't know about?  Thanks.

Because you can't account for guarantee bookings, you may be able to see unassigned rooms. Doesn't mean those rooms are truly "available".

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because you can't account for guarantee bookings, you may be able to see unassigned rooms. Doesn't mean those rooms are truly "available".

That is true. Our next two sailings in March and April of this year went from a lot of availability to sold out nearly over night.