New/different COVID boarding requirements for boarding Explorer in Tokyo, March/April(?) 2023

Portolan

1 hour ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Japan doesn't have "requirements" only "recommendations"!

My only point was that the article cited about masks on planes flying to Japan (correctly) reported that the end of such a requirement was only on JAL and ANA.

I didn't want anyone flying to Japan on another carrier, such as we are on United, to believe that there is a requirement to wear a mask on board.  We still routinely will be wearing masks in the airports and congested areas.  Once we are on-board and ensconced in our business-class suite, we'll be taking the masks off.

I again suggest that people look for their guidance from Japanese government sites (.go.jp) because those are the only definitive source of COVID-related policies in Japan.  And, those sites get updated while web searches will pull up old and possibly outdated articles.

Anyone traveling to Japan would be well-advised to register at https://vjw-lp.digital.go.jp/en/ (United's "Travel-Ready" Center states it as a requirement for United passengers) before departure.  You can save time on arrival by uploading and having your vaccination certificates preapproved, along with fast passes for the landing, customs and immigration steps when you arrive.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 1:00 AM, CruiseLibra said:

We are on the April 25th Tokyo to Tokyo cruise with the pre-cruse tour of Tokyo. We will self-test before we leave the US. We will self-test again in Tokyo within the required timeframe. Or, we will visit a nearby Tokyo testing facility that the hotel recommended.  We are comfortable with the risk that a negative test in Tokyo will impact the cruise.

Additionally, we will be getting an additional booster 30 days before travel. This process is no more demanding than what we experienced on our 2022 spring cruise to Alaska or our 2021 November Med cruise. Both of those trips required extensive testing. Covid is everywhere these days. If you are really concerned, check your insurance or rebook if possible. 

Which hotel is that? We will be at The Tokyo Hilton in October

According to the letter received today we all need to have a negative Covid test to board the ship. Any ideas on how to provide the results?  I get that we can self test and provide a picture of the test result, the test batch number and our passport. I am stumped on how to date stamp the picture.  Also if we go to CVS for a pcr test, can it be done on Saturday?  Regent agent today was of no help at all. Just when we thought we were free and clear to go we are thrown this hurdle. 

Edited by lulu927
Delete
  • Like 1

Can’t speak for Android phones, but all iPhone pictures have a time/date stamp. 
Select your photo from recents or an album and tap the “i” icon at the bottom. It shows day, date, time, iPhone description, photo size and even a map showing where it was taken. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

Can’t speak for Android phones, but all iPhone pictures have a time/date stamp. 
Select your photo from recents or an album and tap the “i” icon at the bottom. It shows day, date, time, iPhone description, photo size and even a map showing where it was taken. 

Especially if you take your phone off the cell network when traveling, ensure you've changed the time zone to Japan or your date time stamp will be off.  But otherwise, as labonnevie notes, easy for any phone with a camera.

11 hours ago, ddsun1 said:

Also, before flying into Japan, now required to register at Visit Japan Web; was not mandatory prior to yesterday.

Safe travels!

I thought this was always mandatory.

We are on Explorer and have had to register & upload vaccine certificates (a painful process given the appalling internet on board Explorer). Then required to inform Reception when acceptance received.

On 3/4/2023 at 6:41 AM, ddsun1 said:

Also, before flying into Japan, now required to register at Visit Japan Web; was not mandatory prior to yesterday.

Safe travels!

Just completed this process for our April 11 Tokyo rt cruise. At least I think I completed it. 
For me, it was an arduous endeavor. Suggest anyone doing the same not underestimate the time required and bring your maximum patience. 
Of course, others may be more adept at such things. 

48 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

Just completed this process for our April 11 Tokyo rt cruise. At least I think I completed it. 
For me, it was an arduous endeavor. Suggest anyone doing the same not underestimate the time required and bring your maximum patience. 
Of course, others may be more adept at such things. 

Not just you - I'm very adept at these things...and the Japanese site was unnecessarily complicated.  At the end, we have (each) a document that says we satisfied the "stay-out-of-quarantine" requirements (proof of vaccination and boosting accepted), a QR code indicating that we qualify for a fast pass for immigration and another for a fast pass at customs.  Your advice to not wait until just before you travel is very good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Portolan said:

Not just you - I'm very adept at these things...and the Japanese site was unnecessarily complicated.  At the end, we have (each) a document that says we satisfied the "stay-out-of-quarantine" requirements (proof of vaccination and boosting accepted), a QR code indicating that we qualify for a fast pass for immigration and another for a fast pass at customs.  Your advice to not wait until just before you travel is very good.

OK....so what PREFECTURE is the Tokyo Hilton in and why is the city not listed in the drip down list? Thanks

2 hours ago, sabreline said:

OK....so what PREFECTURE is the Tokyo Hilton in and why is the city not listed in the drip down list? Thanks

Intended Address in Japan
Postal code    1600023
Prefecture      TOKYO TO
City                Shinjuku Ku
Address            6-6-2 Nishi-Shinjuku
Hotel Name       Tokyo Hilton
  • Like 1

And so now (referring back to my original posts #3 and #16), these new/additional/administrative & testing requirements (hassles and concerns) have "popped up" AFTER everyone's final payment was made.  Quite possibly, more than a few of those passengers would not have booked the cruise in the first place if they had known beforehand that they would be having to deal with this rather significant and new hurdle to deal with.  Some might possibly have selected a different itinerary altogether, or perhaps just held off on cruising for a while longer.   Now, they're pretty much "locked in" (financially), whether they like it or not!  🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

First, Flossie - Registering at Visit Japan Web was not mandatory approximately four weeks ago and now is.

Also, the Visit Japan Site is very difficult, even for those adept and requires time.

Ping - totally agree.  If one has the first two vaccinations and one booster, with approved proof, all is clear to board the flight.  If one has the first two vaccinations and not one booster, required is proof of a negative Covid RT-PCR test 72 hours prior to the flight and proof for the first two vaccinations.  Additionally, all must test 72 hours prior to boarding Explorer. 

15 hours ago, Portolan said:

At the end, we have (each) a document that says we satisfied the "stay-out-of-quarantine" requirements (proof of vaccination and boosting accepted), a QR code indicating that we qualify for a fast pass for immigration and another for a fast pass at customs.  

I have the same stored in photos on my phone. 
Are you going to print as well?
Would appreciate any tips after you get through the airport, plus any information on the self-testing and embarkation on the 14th. 
Thanks and Bon Voyage!

26 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

I have the same stored in photos on my phone. 
Are you going to print as well?
Would appreciate any tips after you get through the airport, plus any information on the self-testing and embarkation on the 14th. 
Thanks and Bon Voyage!

I always have printed copies of things.  Too much can go wrong with technology when you most need it.

I, and probably others, will certainly let future Regent-in-Japan travelers know how this all goes.

7 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

And so now (referring back to my original posts #3 and #16), these new/additional/administrative & testing requirements (hassles and concerns) have "popped up" AFTER everyone's final payment was made.  Quite possibly, more than a few of those passengers would not have booked the cruise in the first place if they had known beforehand that they would be having to deal with this rather significant and new hurdle to deal with.  Some might possibly have selected a different itinerary altogether, or perhaps just held off on cruising for a while longer.   Now, they're pretty much "locked in" (financially), whether they like it or not!  🙄

Not sure what point you are trying to make 🤔

Are you affected by these Japanese requirements?

If you are booked on one of the cruises affected do you really wish to cancel just because of some extra administrative hassle and simple self testing?

If you trip over one of the ‘hurdles’ (test positive) then your Travel Insurance should cover your losses.

We just received further paperwork (customs declaration & disembarkation cards) for completion before we arrive in Japan on Explorer tomorrow. There will be a mandatory face-to-face customs & immigration inspection on arrival at our first port, Kagoshima.

We are looking forward to our time in Japan despite the extra administration and form filling required.
Yes it has been mildly frustrating but hopefully well worth it.