Edge review

PMT51

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

PMT51 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Just finished our 1st Aqua class and E-class cruise on the Edge (3-13 Feb) and want to share a few impressions and answer some previous questions. These are my opinions only and are not intended to start discussions.

We got a good deal for Aqua Class on this cruise. Having tried it, would not do it again unless the price was super great.  The thermal suite is nice, but there was only so much time we could spend in sauna-like rooms before getting board with them. We did not find the heated loungers that comfortable for long periods. There is a small out door deck at the front of the ship that can only be accessed from the thermal suite, but there is no seating.

The in-room amenities were not worth getting. We pre-ordered an accupressure mat and some other thing.  They were delivered by our state room attendant on day 2. The mat was a foam mat covered in what looked like golf-shoe spikes. A true torture device, not sure how it was intended to be used, so it and the other things stayed in the bag. There were also 2 yoga mats, nicely rolled up in cases that took up closet space.

Upon request our stateroom attendant delivered an iced bottle of bubbly. I drink pretty much anything, but this was horrid. Hope it was a better drain cleaner.

Blu was nice but noisy and the windows overlooked big equipment on the deck. Don't bother with a window seat. The food was good, but I don't see the great fuss people make about it. We found the food in the other dining rooms just as good and the ambiance better.

Our cabin 10251 was the best we have every had on X. Bed near the window. Well laid out, lots of storage and quiet. We loved the IV. 

Most things center around the Grand Plaza on decks 4 & 5. We did not like the way the noise from there intruded into the speciality restaurants. We loved the tomahawk steaks at Fine Cut and Eden was good. I wonder why there are no table linens (only fraying placemats) at the speciality restaurants though. I feel that table cloths make a meal better.

The drink called Earth at Eden bar is appropriately named. Yuck!

Le Petit Chef was fun and the food good. We were surprised that there were only 4 tables filled when we went. The other nights did not look busy either.

We booked our speciality restaurants as soon as we got on board, lots of availability and no problems making changes. We are early diners.

Oceanview cafe has scaled back the number of stations open for supper, but the choice and quality of food is very good. I am sure this has really cut down on food waste.

All breads and buns are made fresh daily. Say HI to the baker, in Oceanview, as he rolls out the dough.

On day 5 (of 11), they offered laundry for $49.95 a bag (30 items).

Regarding the ship itself. It is very nice, but not for us. We missed sitting in the sky lounge and finding little nooks and crannies to read in. The magic carpet was very windy and there are no outdoor shaded areas.

Overall the food, service and staff was very good. It was good to be back after 3 years. It was a geat vacation. We are looking forward to our next cruise on the Constellation next year. 

Edited by PMT51
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4