Ship Time

How do clocks on Royal Caribbean ships work. We will be departing from Miami (EST) but moving throght different time zones. Does the ship keep the origination port time as the same as the ship time for the whole cruise? 

Also how does this work out for port days when they say in port form 7-4. Does that mean ship time or actual port time? This will be important as we booked an excursion outside of the cruise line and need to know when to show up.

The listed hours are always ship time. 

Sometimes the ship stays on the time of the departure port, sometimes they adjust to match the time zone of the ship's current location.

It is up to the captain, experiences reported here say that it is consistently inconsistent, even with the same captain and itinerary from one week to the next. 

We sailed once around Daylight Saving and they avoided changing the clocks on the last day to make us more comfortable on docking.  I noticed most independent excursion list start time as 1 hour after ship arrival rather than a specific time.  

I really wish that all ships use the actual time, so changing times should always be done.  Why?  Simply because in the 21st century, watches, phones, will change automatically and when in port, all clocks of course will be the correct time.  I feel it is much harder to remember, and follow a false time these days.

But for the poster, the ship will clearly tell you what time you are on, and if you look at your app to tell time, it will always be set correctly.  Even if your phone tells you different.

2 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I really wish that all ships use the actual time, so changing times should always be done.  Why?  Simply because in the 21st century, watches, phones, will change automatically and when in port, all clocks of course will be the correct time.  I feel it is much harder to remember, and follow a false time these days.

But for the poster, the ship will clearly tell you what time you are on, and if you look at your app to tell time, it will always be set correctly.  Even if your phone tells you different.

I learned to go in the settings and turn the "auto time adjustment" setting off, so the time on your phone will stay  the same as your departure port the whole time...I guess that only works if the captain keeps the ship time the same. 

11 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I know it's captain dependent, but every Royal ship I've been has changed times to match where we were.