Advice please - reasonable covid+cruise insurance for one week Noumea cruise

6 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

It was part of the P&O cruise check in apps, you had to confirm your covid insurance, and who the insurer was.

Its an interesting approach. I could do what I've done in the past - get a dirt cheap AA insurance policy  for OZ - its cheaper than paying for the lower excess on rental cars. We declare none of my partner's extensive pre-existing conditions and they of course cover us excluding his conditions. It works for rental cars - because car excesses are largely not caused bypre-existing medical conditions. And I get  a piece of paper  that says we're insured - I could give that to a cruise line if required. Technically covered - but knowing full well if we had to  claim for illness the underwriting would decline us. 

Its not even about the money - its about an insurance company  telling me if and  for how long we can travel for. We fully expect to at some point have to self-insure 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Its an interesting approach. I could do what I've done in the past - get a dirt cheap AA insurance policy  for OZ - its cheaper than paying for the lower excess on rental cars. We declare none of my partner's extensive pre-existing conditions and they of course cover us excluding his conditions. It works for rental cars - because car excesses are largely not caused bypre-existing medical conditions. And I get  a piece of paper  that says we're insured - I could give that to a cruise line if required. Technically covered - but knowing full well if we had to  claim for illness the underwriting would decline us. 

Its not even about the money - its about an insurance company  telling me if and  for how long we can travel for. We fully expect to at some point have to self-insure 

I'm sure its an approach that can be taken.

But what happens if you need an emergency evac from the ship, they can cost several $100,000, which is a fair whack to self insure!!

That's why I have been researching cc insurance, unfortunately if you read the comments on the comparison I uploaded earlier, they all have problems of some sort.

If Combank included Covid cover for cruises, it would have filled the need I would have been happy with.

But there you go, you don't get anything for nothing. Bugger!!!!🤬

10 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

I'm sure its an approach that can be taken.

But what happens if you need an emergency evac from the ship, they can cost several $100,000, which is a fair whack to self insure!!

That's why I have been researching cc insurance, unfortunately if you read the comments on the comparison I uploaded earlier, they all have problems of some sort.

If Combank included Covid cover for cruises, it would have filled the need I would have been happy with.

But there you go, you don't get anything for nothing. Bugger!!!!🤬

We are covered for an emergency medivac. Just not if we're sick with covid. The question is how likely are we to need a medivac because of covid - answer zero as close as you can get. We've both had covid - neither of us needed medical attention beyond a couple of  paracetamol (self-prescribed). 

We paid around A$1200 for insurance for 3 months including my partner's pre-existing issues but EXCLUDING Covid and rental car excesses and lost port insurance - none of those last things did we consider either likely, or worthwhile having (we only hired a car for 4 days in that trip) . 

Whether we'd go uninsured depends on where we're going - we woudlnt' go uninsured in the USA or cruise ships near the USA. We would do it in places where we have some coverage as NZ citizens (Australia, UK, Malta (!) ) 

Basically we'd prefer to be insured - we will pay thousands  to be insured. But I'm not stopping travelling because insurance companies start saying no 

• Like 3

You probably need to contact the insurer and specifically ask if cruising is covered. I'm surprised that it isn't an extra cost, because of the risk of needing an emergency medical evacuation from a cruise ship can incur very high costs, and that's what actuaries calculate.

There should also be the Terms & Conditions somewhere, the fine print, which you could trawl through to check.

7 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

You probably need to contact the insurer and specifically ask if cruising is covered. I'm surprised that it isn't an extra cost, because of the risk of needing an emergency medical evacuation from a cruise ship can incur very high costs, and that's what actuaries calculate.

There should also be the Terms & Conditions somewhere, the fine print, which you could trawl through to check.

Thanks for your ideas!  I have read through all 12 pages of our last policy. Nothing whatsoever about mode of transport.   This has not been an issue in the many years we have cruised, but now we could be asked to show the insurance at boarding and some say you need to show it is good for cruises. Never been an extra cost, never been asked about the what kind of trip, just Canada, US, International?

This will be another question to ask when we purchase the insurance!

10 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks for your ideas!  I have read through all 12 pages of our last policy. Nothing whatsoever about mode of transport.   This has not been an issue in the many years we have cruised, but now we could be asked to show the insurance at boarding and some say you need to show it is good for cruises. Never been an extra cost, never been asked about the what kind of trip, just Canada, US, International?

This will be another question to ask when we purchase the insurance!

I agree with your comment that travel on a cruiseship is international travel. I believe it would be covered by travel insurance UNLESS the policy specifically states that travel on a cruise ship is excluded. With some policies, the person has to pay extra for cruiseship coverage, but this is clearly stated in the terms and conditions.