Question about cancelled cruise

Wishing on a star

I am curious, thinking about cruises that have been cancelled, or inaugural cruises that are cancelled because of delays, and the new ship isn't ready.

What would Princess do in that situation?

I wonder when they would call the cruise 'cancelled', and give out FCC or move-over offers.

Do any of you seasoned loyal experts have any idea?

No one size fits all answer.  It varies because even the cruise line may not get a lot of notice about delays in the yard.  And there is also the chance that one or more serious problems are found during an early "shake down" voyage which sends the ship back to the yard.  

We do have a very recent example although it is not with Princess.  The new Explora I (from the new Explora Journeys Cruise LIne) was supposed to have its maiden voyage in May.  But about 6 months ago, the cruise line became concerned the global logistical delays in deliveries would possibly cause last minute delays.  So they cancelled nearly 2 months of voyages just to be safe and this was done about 7 months prior to inaugural.  Those booked did get their money back as well as a generous Future Cruise Credit.   Just keep in mind that unlike Princess (which is part of CCL who has a big problem with about $32 Billion of debt), Explora Journeys is backed by MSC which is a company with excellent cash flow and reasonable debt.

Hank

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am curious, thinking about cruises that have been cancelled, or inaugural cruises that are cancelled because of delays, and the new ship isn't ready.

While you are worrying, you can also worry about the ship being completed early, and princess slipping in a per-inaugural cruise.

(which has happened in the past)

10 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yes, I hadn't thought of that!

But, I wouldn't want to cruise Europe practically in January, either.

I imagine Princess would offer a full refund, but no other generous move over FCC, etc.

Hitner is right about the financial situation right now!

I was scheduled on a cruise on the Diamond Princess last September that ended up being cancelled by Princess. My options were a full refund, convert the fare paid to a FCC, with $50 pp added to the total, or switch to a comparative cruise for a later date (Princess picked the comparative cruises and gave a few choices of sail dates), again with a $50 pp goodwill OBC credit. 

I opted for the comparative replacement cruise in the same cabin type I was in before with the bonus that my cabin on the new cruise was selling for 33% more than what I paid for the cruise on the Diamond and the new dates suite so much better.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:12 AM, Roberto256 said:

While you are worrying, you can also worry about the ship being completed early, and princess slipping in a per-inaugural cruise.

(which has happened in the past)

Yes, this happened to me. I was booked on the maiden cruise of Regal Princess but was notified about six months before the cruise that because the ship was going to be ready early there would be a new earlier maiden cruise before mine. The email was worded terribly in that "isn't it wonderful that the ship will be ready early and there will be a new earlier maiden cruise" or words to that effect with no apology to the passengers who had specifically booked a maiden cruise, such as myself. I was given the option of moving to the new maiden cruise, which was not possible as non refundable airfares to Europe could not be changed and we were meeting our son in Rome prior to the cruise. Once on the no longer maiden cruise all passengers affected were given a free Ultimate Balcony Breakfast.