Live Report Arvia 14 Nights From Barbados 18th Feb onwards

Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Twogaterz said:

Thanks for a great review. I am taking my disabled (adult)  son Simon on Arvia in July (Med cruise) before the school holidays and based on some reviews and comments on the Facebook page have been really rather anxious. We’ve cruised many times esp when my husband was alive - mostly on Royal Caribbean when travelling with Simon as there is lots of pzazz. I had booked Arvia as it means no flying and we can just board and disembark in Southampton. There isn’t as much in the way of pzazz on Arvia as I’d hoped (no parades/deck parties/bbqs by the sound of it), but the elements of your review relating to life on board have been reassuring. I am very tech savvy so the thought of the ‘app’ doesn’t worry me - just queueing with Simon who is in a wheelchair. I have booked the Retreat for us as can’t face a sunbed battle and it does include some drinks and food - fingers crossed they don’t oversell it as I heard happened on one cruise!

I now feel much more upbeat about the trip so thank you very much.  😊

I think we had the pleasure of meeting Simon and yourself on a cruise, possibly Ventura new years 2019/20?

It was a very busy evening and we shared a table in the bar at the top/back of the ship, can't remember what it was called. 

Glad to see you are still cruising, hope you are both keeping well. 

Andy & Michelle 

PS, sorry for going off topic. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think we had the pleasure of meeting Simon and yourself on a cruise, possibly Ventura new years 2019/20?

It was a very busy evening and we shared a table in the bar at the top/back of the ship, can't remember what it was called. 

Glad to see you are still cruising, hope you are both keeping well. 

Andy & Michelle 

PS, sorry for going off topic. 

Wow well remembered and thank you! I fear that trip is now a bit of a blur because of all that’s happened since. It was the New Year cruise just before the Pandemic. My first with Simon without my husband who had died in the August. Since then, we’ve done a Celebrity Silhouette trip round the UK  in 2021 (although were not allowed off the ship due to covid rules at the time) and this is our first long one with P&O. Just hoping it’s all ok but having caught covid in Cyprus (possibly the flight?) where we had to leave our hotel and I managed to get us into a villa, I just wanted it all nice and easy this time! We have an accessible balcony although wish I had a deluxe one but they weren’t available. Hope you’re both keeping well and thank you for getting in touch! ☺️ 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Twogaterz said:

Thanks for a great review. I am taking my disabled (adult)  son Simon on Arvia in July (Med cruise) before the school holidays and based on some reviews and comments on the Facebook page have been really rather anxious. We’ve cruised many times esp when my husband was alive - mostly on Royal Caribbean when travelling with Simon as there is lots of pzazz. I had booked Arvia as it means no flying and we can just board and disembark in Southampton. There isn’t as much in the way of pzazz on Arvia as I’d hoped (no parades/deck parties/bbqs by the sound of it), but the elements of your review relating to life on board have been reassuring. I am very tech savvy so the thought of the ‘app’ doesn’t worry me - just queueing with Simon who is in a wheelchair. I have booked the Retreat for us as can’t face a sunbed battle and it does include some drinks and food - fingers crossed they don’t oversell it as I heard happened on one cruise!

I now feel much more upbeat about the trip so thank you very much.  😊

You will love  it

I would also like to think that the staff will look after you  extra special with a wheelchair

As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't have to queue for anything!!

• Like 2

Whilst neither of us are disabled enough to need a wheelchair my DH has serious spinal problems and I a knee replacement. Queuing for any length of time is a no no for us. Thanks to the OP I have learned enough to know to book some speciality restaurants and shows. I didn’t know enough about the Limelight Club, but I do now and have it booked. We used the virtual queuing system on Britannia so no worries about that but it will be great to try some of the other venues that have been discussed. Thanks again. 

Edited by sandancer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sweep2907 said:

How busy was Arvia for this February cruise outside of school holidays? Sounds fantastic ship and great review.

It was busy but not school holiday busy. Lots of families on there there was 1 week of the 2 that were school holidays. Lot younger demographic overall than we expected.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

How much cash did you take as opposed to card. 
I feel like it’s gonna be a lot of cash needed. 
also did you take everything in US dollars or something else as it says nearly all of them bar that one that’s French (so euros) will accept US dollars

Didn't take any currency with us. Just got currency from guest services as and when we needed some for on shore

Anyway to prove how much we enjoyed this cruise we've just booked the exact same cruise in 2024

Flying from Manchester Friday 16th February in and  out of Barbados 15 nights

Inside saver

1313 per person

It's still by far the best value Caribbean holiday we could possibly book. You can't not book at these prices let's be honest?

We've booked to arrive Friday rather than Saturday to make sure it's easier to book 710 club etc

Looking forward to jet ski excursions again already.  710 club. Epicurean. Relaxed meals in MDR. The entertainment. The gym. Poolbar cocktails. Limelight bar. Crows  Nest Cocktails and Anderson's cocktails. The cinema.

Bring it on!!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Anyway to prove how much we enjoyed this cruise we've just booked the exact same cruise in 2024

Flying from Manchester Friday 16th February in and  out of Barbados 15 nights

Inside saver

1313 per person

It's still by far the best value Caribbean holiday we could possibly book. You can't not book at these prices let's be honest?

We've booked to arrive Friday rather than Saturday to make sure it's easier to book 710 club etc

Looking forward to jet ski excursions again already.  710 club. Epicurean. Relaxed meals in MDR. The entertainment. The gym. Poolbar cocktails. Limelight bar. Crows  Nest Cocktails and Anderson's cocktails. The cinema.

Bring it on!!!

ICF, delighted you are sorted.  Quite a shock to see no last minute deal or waiting for the bargain bucket shop price. Nearly five months of boundless enthusiasm ahead ... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

ICF, delighted you are sorted.  Quite a shock to see no last minute deal or waiting for the bargain bucket shop price. Nearly five months of boundless enthusiasm ahead ... 

Birmingham flights 100 pounds per person surcharge currently. (40 mins from us) would have been my first choice without the surcharge

Manchester only 80 mins from us. With no surcharge. Our son will be able to drop us off and collect us from there

My rush to book was to ensure we didn't have to fly from a London airport if Manchester flights sold out which add another 90 mins journey on both ways and lots of extra stress. Or pay extra for Birmingham. 

I paid 1200 from Birmingham last year I seem to remember. Would be 1414 for us this year at current prices from there. 

1314 from Manchester costs an extra 114 pounds each this year. But still a great deal. And to know we are booked and from a closer airport than london was ok for me to pay now.

We've got a week in Jamaica at a resort a friend of mine owns end of October. Flights and transfers will cost us over 1k each. Plus we have to fly from Heathrow. Not counting the cost of food. But I do a bit of business with that resort. So that helps justify the expense. And he will do me a favour on the accommodation cost. 

But it underlines the value of cruising in the Caribbean for sure 

Then we've booked a month in Cape Town in an Airbnb in January. (I've had so many clients tell me it's their favourite destination I wanted to see for myself)

So lots of holidays to enjoy coming up

We had a month in Lytham in August in an Airbnb

What a great place and community Lytham is!

So much happening in and around Lytham all the time. We could see why so many people retire there. Expensive property prices though!

50 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Birmingham flights 100 pounds per person surcharge currently. (40 mins from us) would have been my first choice without the surcharge

Manchester only 80 mins from us. With no surcharge. Our son will be able to drop us off and collect us from there

My rush to book was to ensure we didn't have to fly from a London airport if Manchester flights sold out which add another 90 mins journey on both ways and lots of extra stress. Or pay extra for Birmingham. 

I paid 1200 from Birmingham last year I seem to remember. Would be 1414 for us this year at current prices from there. 

1314 from Manchester costs an extra 114 pounds each this year. But still a great deal. And to know we are booked and from a closer airport than london was ok for me to pay now.

We've got a week in Jamaica at a resort a friend of mine owns end of October. Flights and transfers will cost us over 1k each. Plus we have to fly from Heathrow. Not counting the cost of food. But I do a bit of business with that resort. So that helps justify the expense. And he will do me a favour on the accommodation cost. 

But it underlines the value of cruising in the Caribbean for sure 

Then we've booked a month in Cape Town in an Airbnb in January. (I've had so many clients tell me it's their favourite destination I wanted to see for myself)

So lots of holidays to enjoy coming up

We had a month in Lytham in August in an Airbnb

What a great place and community Lytham is!

So much happening in and around Lytham all the time. We could see why so many people retire there. Expensive property prices though!

Hi Interestedcruisefan,

Just been reading about all your travels, sounds like you have lots to look forward to.

We moved to Lytham St Anne’s about five years ago and I agree it’s a lovely place to live with something going on all the time. I don’t know if you managed to go to the theatre at Lowther Pavilion when you were here but it’s a nice place to spend an evening. Lots of nice restaurants and bars as I am sure you discovered.

Michelle

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Funnily enough there are quite a few of these cruises where London and Birmingham flights are sold out.  There were even a couple early on where London was also being charged a premium too.  

We used to fly from Birmingham every year for our Christmas cruise and visit friends over New Year when we returned.  I recall that always cost the £100 extra and we were told that was because the airport charges were high for those types of flight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Hi Interestedcruisefan,

Just been reading about all your travels, sounds like you have lots to look forward to.

We moved to Lytham St Anne’s about five years ago and I agree it’s a lovely place to live with something going on all the time. I don’t know if you managed to go to the theatre at Lowther Pavilion when you were here but it’s a nice place to spend an evening. Lots of nice restaurants and bars as I am sure you discovered.

Michelle

Hi Michelle

Yes we actually went to Lowther Pavilion a few times. Twice to watch short films in the International Film Festival they had there one weekend. Also to the food and drink festival there. Great place for Bowls and Padel Tennis as well - which both seemed really popular.

Also had a lovely afternoon tea at Lowther Hall and watched outdoor theatre there - Shakespeare. We were tempted to go to the outdoor Proms concert with Katherine Jenkins on at Lytham Hall but it clashed with the film festival

The 40s Vintage world war event was on Lytham Green whilst we were there one weekend as well. That was great

Plus we had 2 great days watching the air show in Blackpool nearby

Pitch and putt. Crazy golf. Boats on Fairhaven Lake. Lots of beautiful parks and gardens to see. Art exhibitions and craft shows every week

Countless walks and bike rides

4 different wine tastings and a craft beer tasting on 5 different days! All accompanied by great food

Really brilliant place. 

Loved the fish and chips in Lytham st Anne's as well. Plus the antiques and vintage shops there

We also learnt that Lytham and St Anne's are different places of course! Although very close. 

Great place for you to live. I'm jealous.

I saw the local book store in Lytham organises book signings and talks with lunch  included nearby once a month with some seriously well known authors. Lunch and a signed book from the author for 35 to 40 pounds per head. Great fun no doubt.

Geoffrey Archer and Julia Bradbury and Ross Kemp were due the next 3 months

Lytham and St Anne's definitely bring the entertainment in every month

There's some seriously big money and wealth in Lytham I guess that need plenty to spend their money on

As you say some great restaurants and cafes and bars as well

The bike rides and  walks each day down the promenade ensured I only put one stone on rather than two stone!!!

Lol

When I compare prices bewteen land and cruise prices I use the lead in balcony price. When going abroad to a hot place, I would always have a balcony in a hotel. In the Uk, cruises beat most 4* hotel half board ( which we usally book) prices by £££.

Not keen on airbnb/self catering - I'm known for my lack of cooking- and looking for somewhere to eat every night can be a faff. I actually find it stressful and I get hangry so it's much better for me to just go downstairs and eat when I want. Plus the DH won't go self catering anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

When I compare prices bewteen land and cruise prices I use the lead in balcony price. When going abroad to a hot place, I would always have a balcony in a hotel. In the Uk, cruises beat most 4* hotel half board ( which we usally book) prices by £££.

Not keen on airbnb/self catering - I'm known for my lack of cooking- and looking for somewhere to eat every night can be a faff. I actually find it stressful and I get hangry so it's much better for me to just go downstairs and eat when I want. Plus the DH won't go self catering anyway.

We were there for a month and mixed in self catering with dining out. We actually enjoyed the meals we made ourselves. 

We rarely  eat together at home as we are always doing something. But want to change that. 

We are semi retired now meaning we still have a few hours of Admin to do most mornings. So we are testing going away for a month at a time and getting up early  and working in the mornings and having afternoons and evenings to enjoy our new location for a month

I'm calling it mini retirements!!

We've got 3 months to plan 3 different locations for a month June, July and August

2 will be in UK

Any suggestions would be welcome

I'm looking at Deal and Whitby at the moment. Maybe Ross on Wye?

Places near the sea or water with lots of nice restaurants, walks and things to do and see. Needs to be England as occasionally may need to pop home to Derbyshire for a day

13 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Hi Michelle

Yes we actually went to Lowther Pavilion a few times. Twice to watch short films in the International Film Festival they had there one weekend. Also to the food and drink festival there. Great place for Bowls and Padel Tennis as well - which both seemed really popular.

Also had a lovely afternoon tea at Lowther Hall and watched outdoor theatre there - Shakespeare. We were tempted to go to the outdoor Proms concert with Katherine Jenkins on at Lytham Hall but it clashed with the film festival

The 40s Vintage world war event was on Lytham Green whilst we were there one weekend as well. That was great

Plus we had 2 great days watching the air show in Blackpool nearby

Pitch and putt. Crazy golf. Boats on Fairhaven Lake. Lots of beautiful parks and gardens to see. Art exhibitions and craft shows every week

Countless walks and bike rides

4 different wine tastings and a craft beer tasting on 5 different days! All accompanied by great food

Really brilliant place. 

Loved the fish and chips in Lytham st Anne's as well. Plus the antiques and vintage shops there

We also learnt that Lytham and St Anne's are different places of course! Although very close. 

Great place for you to live. I'm jealous.

I saw the local book store in Lytham organises book signings with lunch  included nearby once a month with some seriously well know authors

Geoffrey Archer and Julia Bradbury and Ross Kemp were due the next 3 months

Lytham and St Anne's definitely bring the entertainment in every month

There's some seriously big money and wealth in Lytham I guess that need plenty to spend their money on

As you say some great restaurants and cafes and bars as well

The bike rides and  walks each day down the promenade ensured I only put one stone on rather than two stone!!!

Lol

There is no visually distinct border between Lytham and Lytham St Annes. We live directly back from Fairhaven Lake and about 50metres from Royal Lytham St Annes golf course. It is more expensive to live in Lytham but we like where we are in between to two, we can walk to both in about 15/20 mins. It sounds like you had a lovely time when you visited recently 

Michelle 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

There is no visually distinct border between Lytham and Lytham St Annes. We live directly back from Fairhaven Lake and about 50metres from Royal Lytham St Annes golf course. It is more expensive to live in Lytham but we like where we are in between to two, we can walk to both in about 15/20 mins. It sounds like you had a lovely time when you visited recently 

Michelle 

Yes absolutely loved the place. Will be hard to  beat next summer for sure

Perfect location for you then. Best of both 

We passed George Formby's old house most days

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Mystery solved!!! You're Gary Neville.

That was so funny wil try and post the link!

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJWLsrGo/

Edit - here's his mini retirement plan above. Lol. I think the interviewer had to stop himself laughing.

What the rest of us  would call a weekend away! 

I guess a month is a bit better than that and let's you get to know a place really well. After a month to be fair we were ready to come home. If only to stop putting weight on from all the food, drink and ice creams

Proper mini retirements as suggested in that book are 3 to 6 months though

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We were there for a month and mixed in self catering with dining out. We actually enjoyed the meals we made ourselves. 

We rarely  eat together at home as we are always doing something. But want to change that. 

We are semi retired now meaning we still have a few hours of Admin to do most mornings. So we are testing going away for a month at a time and getting up early  and working in the mornings and having afternoons and evenings to enjoy our new location for a month

I'm calling it mini retirements!!

We've got 3 months to plan 3 different locations for a month June, July and August

2 will be in UK

Any suggestions would be welcome

I'm looking at Deal and Whitby at the moment. Maybe Ross on Wye?

Places near the sea or water with lots of nice restaurants, walks and things to do and see. Needs to be England as occasionally may need to pop home to Derbyshire for a day

What a wonderful way to spend semi retirement! 

Ross on Wye is lovely, especially Symonds Yat. Wales is quite close by too.

One of my favourite places is Rye, but I've only stayed in hotels so I can't comment on the restaurants. Brighton is another - I love the vibe, great restaurants - I have actually eaten out there!  May be too busy in the summer?

12 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

What a wonderful way to spend semi retirement! 

Ross on Wye is lovely, especially Symonds Yat. Wales is quite close by too.

One of my favourite places is Rye, but I've only stayed in hotels so I can't comment on the restaurants. Brighton is another - I love the vibe, great restaurants - I have actually eaten out there!  May be too busy in the summer?

Brighton  could be good but we've been there a few times already so places like that

Eastbourne I've thought about as well

Will take a look at Rye as well

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Brighton  could be good but we've been there a few times already so places like that

Eastbourne I've thought about as well

Will take a look at Rye as well

Have you considered Dartmouth/Totnes area?  Plenty of food and wine festivals in both towns, several Michelin starred restaurants, steam trains, close to lovely beaches, the castle in Totnes, short drive to visit DDay landing preparation area and access to Dartmoor. The restaurant Gather in Totnes is very good.

I recall you mentioning Burgh Island before, this area would give you relatively easy access if you wanted to take a day or two there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Have you considered Dartmouth/Totnes area?  Plenty of food and wine festivals in both towns, several Michelin starred restaurants, steam trains, close to lovely beaches, the castle in Totnes, short drive to visit DDay landing preparation area and access to Dartmoor. The restaurant Gather in Totnes is very good.

I recall you mentioning Burgh Island before, this area would give you relatively easy access if you wanted to take a day or two there.

That  sounds great. Will  take a look. With good health touch wood we will visit all these places next few years for a month at a time

Until my next idea!! Lol