Which of these Norwegian ports can we/should we do on our own and which require an excursion/guide?

SLSD

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

What about packing for. Norway in summer?  I am assuming layers, raincoat, etc.  

Yes, this is our first 'cold weather' cruise so it will be a new experience for us!  Lots of layers, gloves and a woolly hat or two.  I think there can be pleasant weather at that time of year so we live in hope.  

1 minute ago, Mauzac said:

Yes, this is our first 'cold weather' cruise so it will be a new experience for us!  Lots of layers, gloves and a woolly hat or two.  I think there can be pleasant weather at that time of year so we live in hope.  

I'm assuming we will pack some of the same things we packed for Alaska.  Of course there could be a heat wave.  Yes to the hat and gloves.  We will not be out on Zodiacs, but we still might need them.  

Edited by SLSD

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

I'm assuming we will pack some of the same things we packed for Alaska.  Of course there could be a heat wave.  Yes to the hat and gloves.  We will not be out on Zodiacs, but we still might need them.  

That will serve you well but definitely take layers.  We’ve had both ends of the scale in a number of summer trips.  Temps as low as the 50s, mist and rain and an entire cruise in

july 2019 with temperatures in the high 70s/low 80s.  Of course, even then it does drop cooler at night.  I can’t recall which month you said your trip was.  In may there will likely still be snow on the mountainsides along the  fjords.  

48 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

That will serve you well but definitely take layers.  We’ve had both ends of the scale in a number of summer trips.  Temps as low as the 50s, mist and rain and an entire cruise in

july 2019 with temperatures in the high 70s/low 80s.  Of course, even then it does drop cooler at night.  I can’t recall which month you said your trip was.  In may there will likely still be snow on the mountainsides along the  fjords.  

Our trip begins June 11th.  I'll be watching the forecast ahead of time, but we have found that weather experts have not been very accurate lately with predictions.  We will try to cover all of our bases.  

We are embarking on August 6th so I hold out hope it won't be too cold.    I'm hoping for a typical english spring day, anything more than that is a bonus!

We still hope to eat in E&O on occasion, we've done it before wrapped in blankets!

Edited by Mauzac
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

In Stavanger, we’ve booked the Lysefjord Cruise - Experience Preikestolen tour directly from Rodne Fjord Cruise. You board just a short walk from where the ship docks. On this tour, you don’t hike Preikestolen, but see it from Lysefjord. 

https://rodne.no/en/fjordcruise/lysefjord-preikestolen/

Edited by Tapi

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

We have also had an itinerary change for the 9th July sailing - no longer doing the scenic cruise of the Trollfjord when we stop at Svolvaer.

That ;s a shame, it is a bit of a highlight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Techno123 said:

We have also had an itinerary change for the 9th July sailing - no longer doing the scenic cruise of the Trollfjord when we stop at Svolvaer.

Yes, that is the change.  It is a disappointment.  Ours is the June sailing. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1