What to do in Juneau

coffeehit

We have booked the Tracey Arm tour from our cruise ship which will drop us off in Juneau after the tour. Our time in port is quite long even after the tour we still have another 7 hours although probably will go back to ship earlier than that. Is Juneau walking friendly town with things to see and do or is it a place where you need to do a tour of some sort? Just wondering if we need to book another tour....would prefer not to but just want to make sure there are things to see and by foot!

Juneau is a walkable town. Near the cruise port are the tourist shops and restaurants with some local shops mixed in. The state capitol area is a medium walk uphill with local architecture, a museum or two along the way.

• Like 1

You can pick uip a self guided walking tour of Juneau and follow that around town.  It includes museums and historic sites.

And nearby Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau.is popular with many and also offers hiking trails. 

Juneau is also one of the most popular ports for whalewatching trips.

Use the SEARCH box to pull up all previous threads and posts about Juneau and get lots of useful info from reading  them. And check the Juneau Tourist Info website for inspiration.

Edited by edinburgher

Here’s a map of the downtown area with points of interest. As you’re walking through downtown, check out the Juneau Artists Gallery.   “Juneau Artists Gallery is co-operatively owned and operated by 19 local artists who display their art and staff the gallery business themselves.”

https://alaskatrekker.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/juneau_alaska_map.jpg

• Like 1

If it were me, I would not book another tour.  Take advantage of the extra time and relax a bit.   As suggested walk around the town, possibly to the state capital area.   Another option is take the tram up Mt. Roberts.  Don't need to prebook tram, just buy tickets if weather is good that day. .   It is close to ship. Can do the whole tram up and down in an hour or less I would think.

While I generally drop by the Juneau Artists Gallery the quality of the products can be variable.  No crochet potholders but periodically items not much better.

The Sealaska Heritage Institute is wonderful.  The gift store is a breath of fresh air and I always (and I do mean always) leave with a nice pair of earrings.  I don't remember what the admission price is for their cultural displays, but feel it is beautifully curated and worth the admission price.

• Like 2