Cancellation fees?

tvc1969

I have a cruise in 20 days. I have insurance. I need to cancel one person in the room to stay home with a sick immediate family member.

I called to do this and they are saying because it is so late, I would be charged $600 cancellation fee AND no refund on the original paid

amount. This seems a bit confusing to me. I called the insurance and they said I would put in for insurance and they would reimburse me

the $600 after all papaerwork was received and gone through. It was my understanding that the original amount paid was what I was paying 

for insurance for. Why would it make send for me to cancel the person, and then have to do all the paperwork and hope it all goes through instead

of just having that person not show up for the cruise? Any info is greatly appreciated.

That is the way my insurance works as well.  After a covered loss that we have to pay, they reimburse us those funds.  Covered loss is the important issue here. 

If you bought the insurance through the cruise line it doesn't mean the cruise line is providing the insurance.  The cruise line purchased the insurance on your behalf with an insurance company.

I have never heard of Carnival charging a fee to cancel a cruise.  Yes, you will lose anything paid (you are in the 100% penalty phase).  If you are the only other person in the room with the person cancelling, you will be charged a single supplement (which is likely what the $600 is).  Your insurance will cover that single supplement.  They are correct, though, that it will all have to be paid and then you submit all of the supporting documents to the insurance company, who will reimburse you. If the person simply doesn't show up for the cruise, you will still be out their cruise fare, but the insurance will not reimburse anything.

the cruise is for three people, so not a single supplement. i have called twice and received the same answer, they want to charge me over $600 to cancel with no reimbursement of the original price paid. this seems so confusing to me. I have never had to cancel before, never purchased insurance in my 24 cruises and am so disappointed that the one time i purchased insurance, it is not going to help at all. 

You're dealing with 2 different entities.

1. Carnival Cruiselines who has their own cancellation policies.

2. You have insurance. Carnival may have sold it to you (and earned commission) but has nothing to do with insurance. The actual insurance company could be Nationwide, or Firemans, or some other company but is administered by AON. These people have their own policies and regulations.

24 minutes ago, tvc1969 said:

the cruise is for three people, so not a single supplement. i have called twice and received the same answer, they want to charge me over $600 to cancel with no reimbursement of the original price paid.....

It seems like the best bet might be to proceed as if that person is going on the cruise and let him/her simply be a no-show.  Their money won't be refunded, just taxes and port fees,  but at least you won't be paying a cancellation fee.

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Yes, you will lose anything paid (you are in the 100% penalty phase). 

If the cruise is in 20 days, they would be in the 75% phase, not 100%.  It would be 75% of the cruise fare or the full deposit amount, which is typically $500.

From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.

16 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

If the cruise is in 20 days, they would be in the 75% phase, not 100%.  It would be 75% of the cruise fare or the full deposit amount, which is typically $500.

From 29 to15 days prior to sailing, the penalty is 75% of the total fare or the standard deposit amount, whichever is greater.

You're right.  I missed the 20 days part of the post.