Dining package question

Sigyn

I'm completely new to Royal Caribbean and I've booked my first cruise. I have no idea how the dining package works. I'm considering the three-night dining package and I'm not sure what it includes. Are all of the restaurants an option, or are some not included? The description is a bit confusing since it says a la carte restaurants are a $20 food credit but can only be used once per day, etc., another has a $49.99 surcharge (so that means in addition to the fee I pay for the dining package?) What's the $34.99 food credit? What is the courtesy reservation they refer to that will be made for me and do I see what restaurant that is and can I change it myself if I don't like where they make it for?  Here's what I am seeing: 

• Dinner at three specialty dining venues.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with this venue, Izumi Sushi is a prix fixe menu or $34.99 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge, and Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

22 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I'm completely new to Royal Caribbean and I've booked my first cruise. I have no idea how the dining package works. I'm considering the three-night dining package and I'm not sure what it includes. Are all of the restaurants an option, or are some not included? The description is a bit confusing since it says a la carte restaurants are a $20 food credit but can only be used once per day, etc., another has a $49.99 surcharge (so that means in addition to the fee I pay for the dining package?) What's the $34.99 food credit? What is the courtesy reservation they refer to that will be made for me and do I see what restaurant that is and can I change it myself if I don't like where they make it for?  Here's what I am seeing: 

• Dinner at three specialty dining venues.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with this venue, Izumi Sushi is a prix fixe menu or $34.99 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge, and Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

Izumi is a 34.99 credit and that's also the cost of the fixed menu. Same location Hitachi has a surcharge. It's where they do a show and cook in front of you. 

There are places like chops no add on. I would choose these if I only could choose 3.

What ship?

30 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Izumi is a 34.99 credit and that's also the cost of the fixed menu. Same location Hitachi has a surcharge. It's where they do a show and cook in front of you. 

There are places like chops no add on. I would choose these if I only could choose 3.

What ship?

Thanks for the info. The ship is Harmony of the Seas.

chefs table is about 14 to 16 maxed with 5 courses that include wine paring.  Food is great, but wine is average, nothing expensive.  So it normally costs say 89-99 bucks, thats why the extra $50 is added on.  It does fill fast, so book that if you are interested. Some folks ordered other drinks, the wait staff received from a close bar, but they waited a touch. 

Courtesy first night booking is just a place holder. Once on board, and as soon as you board,  you go to any restaurant and they will make all you bookings for you. The $20 credit could be used at Playmakers which would be hard to eat all the food you receive for $20. 150 CP, Chop's, Jamies, Sabor and Wonderland would all be no charge. We always have a package and never have a problem getting the venue, day or time that we want.  

It doesn’t make sense to use the 3 night package at playmakers as you’re not getting value for money - if you want to go there I would just pay as you go.

I’ve not been on harmony but we liked 150 CP on oasis a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

If you've never been on a Royal, I'd do the three night and go to Chops, 150 Central Park and Jamie's. 

A steakhouse, Italian, and fine dining American. You'll get the most bang for your buck and they're all delicious 🙂

I guess I'm spoiled.  In DFW, we have a lot of excellent steak houses.  We were quite disappointed in Chops.  Honestly, I cook a much better steak at home.  Now, it wasn't on Harmony and understand (like any chain) it often varies based on the Executive Chef.  Personally, I would replace Chops with Izumi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

If you've never been on a Royal, I'd do the three night and go to Chops, 150 Central Park and Jamie's. 

A steakhouse, Italian, and fine dining American. You'll get the most bang for your buck and they're all delicious 🙂

Wonderland would also be a great choice. Wonderland on Oasis Class is a large two story experience with 16 foot floor to ceiling windows. Upstairs bar and lounge area is pretty nice with a view of going ons down below.  Recently walked into Wonderland on Quantum, what a dud, turned around and walked out.

17 hours ago, TXPawPaw said:

I guess I'm spoiled.  In DFW, we have a lot of excellent steak houses.  We were quite disappointed in Chops.  Honestly, I cook a much better steak at home.  Now, it wasn't on Harmony and understand (like any chain) it often varies based on the Executive Chef.  Personally, I would replace Chops with Izumi.

We were under whelmed by Chops as well.  It was fine, not bad, but the steak lacked seasoning and we expected more.

we are planning Hooked, Wonderland, and 150 CP using the 3 night package on our next cruise, I also got Izumi Hibachi when they had the really low price a few weeks ago.

8 hours ago, Donsyb said:

We were under whelmed by Chops as well.  It was fine, not bad, but the steak lacked seasoning and we expected more.

we are planning Hooked, Wonderland, and 150 CP using the 3 night package on our next cruise, I also got Izumi Hibachi when they had the really low price a few weeks ago.

The OP is going on Harmony and, unfortunately, there is no Hooked restaurant.

What is Wonderland like? It looks interesting. I read a little about it. My son can be picky about food - he's 15 - but he's getting to where he tries more things than he used to. Do teenagers tend to like Wonderland?

On 2/23/2023 at 1:28 PM, Donsyb said:

It doesn’t make sense to use the 3 night package at playmakers as you’re not getting value for money - if you want to go there I would just pay as you go.

I’ve not been on harmony but we liked 150 CP on oasis a lot.

It's not a la carte or specialty restaurant for the day but essentially UDP for the 3 days you choose. We have used both most days when we have done the 3 day as opposed to the UDP.

Edited by SWACruising
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

What is Wonderland like? It looks interesting. I read a little about it. My son can be picky about food - he's 15 - but he's getting to where he tries more things than he used to. Do teenagers tend to like Wonderland?

image.png.d80d15f089e9d6fafd08545cc5263fd2.png image.png.a973a98071df488ae3e0dee9a99c8834.png image.png.3ed1129429e2c209b300fa79cbfd7a32.png image.png.8840093fcc6006417219d759c9c88f3e.png image.png.4fec04f3ba4951b2facc11420d438233.png image.png.8d484ebce48e2b35ae935eb16c68d361.png image.png.8f06d646072ad4c4d7f1f27443f32268.png image.png.145b4c9d44d254104a22151ecc738753.png image.png.d1dedfa4aa3729a7f915f6a5e517e4e9.png image.png.b6cd8970d03e2d7788fb45cd86860afb.png  Fantastic venue on Oasis Class, sucks on Quantum Class

15 hours ago, SWACruising said:

It's not a la carte or specialty restaurant for the day but essentially UDP for the 3 days you choose. We have used both most days when we have done the 3 day as opposed to the UDP.

Thanks - I hadn’t realised! The description initially says 3 restaurants, but when you read on it makes it more clear. I would have missed out if you hadn’t said that 😊

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Donsyb said:

Thanks - I hadn’t realised! The description initially says 3 restaurants, but when you read on it makes it more clear. I would have missed out if you hadn’t said that 😊

What does UDP stand for?

6 hours ago, George C said:

Unfortunately it’s not on all oasis class, not oasis or allure looking forward to trying it on Harmony in November.

Bummer!

Edited by njsmom