Have they ever upgraded you on board, free or with upcharge?

BoundForSea

Ok. Keeping this simple and to the point. 

Has MSC ever upgraded you at checkin or on board to a higher category - complimentary

or

Have you ever been able to pay an upcharge and upgrade on board to a higher category?

We’re staying in an Interior YC and just wondered if there were still Deluxe available at checkin or boarding or on the prev sailing on a B2B if we could ask to upgrade or if they’ve ever offered?

I’m guessing that’s a big fat no but figured I’d ask. 

If they have please chime in. Thx!

*And yes I’m very aware of the bid program and no, I’m not submitting a minimum bid which is the same as just paying for the category upgrade outright (the case for both of the B2B segments)

Edited by BoundForSea

Oops. I didn’t read for comprehension and see that you were upgraded without asking. What a pleasant surprise that must have been - twice. 🙂 Did it happen after check-in? How were you notified of the change? Thanks.

Edited by def0715

I have never been upgraded on board (20+ cruises), but already 2 times 4 weeks before the start of the voyage. Both times from Aurea on YC and also without info from MSC.

Once I saw it by chance when I wanted to book a shore excursion online, the other time when I installed the app.

6 hours ago, def0715 said:

Oops. I didn’t read for comprehension and see that you were upgraded without asking. What a pleasant surprise that must have been - twice. 🙂 Did it happen after check-in? How were you notified of the change? Thanks.

We were brought to our cabins by the butler, but were told not to unpack. He left for a few minutes, came back and moved us. It was quite the pleasant surprise 😊

9 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

......Have you ever been able to pay an upcharge and upgrade on board to a higher category?

We’re staying in an Interior YC and just wondered if there were still Deluxe available at checkin or boarding or on the prev sailing on a B2B if we could ask to upgrade or if they’ve ever offered?...

We asked, and were quoted 80euros pppd to upgrade from YIN on Seaside 14 nights from Barbados late November 2022. We politely declined, as it was simply not worth an extra 160euros pd to upgrade. The cabin offered remained empty for our cruise duration, and they said they could not negotiate as MSC HQ set strict pricing for upgrading within the YC.

The previous year, on Seaview reposition from Europe to Caribbean Antilles we had a YC deluxe suite. We encountered a couple who received a complimentary upgrade from Aurea to YC deluxe Suite! 🤔

36 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

For those who received a complementary upgrade before the cruise, how long before the cruise did you get the upgrade?

Unfortunately, I can't really say, because as I mentioned, I didn't get any instructions or anything by email. 

I discovered it purely by chance on the website when I wanted to book some shore excursions. That was about 3 weeks before departure. But I don't know how long it had been there. I Think approx. 4 weeks.

We diskussed this here:

Here's my thoughts as a agent... Cruise  bookings are up 400% since COVID. When the above we probably upgraded on board it was post COVID when the ships were not booked 100% or 50% for that matter. It's not going to happen soon again.........

9 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Thanks all. Very inconsistent. Not surprised.

This is MSC's hallmark!  An individual can relate their personal experience, andsomeone else can have an opposite experience.  Neither is incorrect! 

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 2

Can't say.  I can say I tracked rooms for weeks before and within the weeks.  Roughly two weeks out rooms started disappearing from a rather large stock of rooms.  Whether paid upgrades or bids no idea, but all rooms gone except a couple deck 9 duplex on one leg.

20 hours ago, dexddd said:

Can't say.  I can say I tracked rooms for weeks before and within the weeks.  Roughly two weeks out rooms started disappearing from a rather large stock of rooms.  Whether paid upgrades or bids no idea, but all rooms gone except a couple deck 9 duplex on one leg.

This would make sense.  I was thinking it would be when MSC, based on history, would determine people were no longer going to buy rooms on that cruise.

• 1 year later...

I'll add to share a panic I've had before.  We booked a Fantastica balcony cabin within final payment. Decided to bid for upgrade to YIN for kicks about 2 days after booking. About 3 days after that I got an email that our bid had been accepted to login to see my new cabin...blah blah blah.  I logged in to find an Aurea balcony assigned.  Freaked out a little bit because the math wasn't mathing (the YIN bid was more than the Aurea min bit AND I didn't bid on Aurea).  I called. Apparently, we had received a free upgrade to Aurea and had not noticed since we were only 5 days from when we originally had booked.  We ended up being assigned a YC Deluxe Suite.