Cruise to Norway - Is this a good itinerary?

I was casually browsing RCL cruises as my husband and I (early 30s) have been discussing a Europe trip for next/spring and came across this cruise to Norway that was offered for what seems to be a very good deal (I am seeing 1000USD per person with all taxes and fees on Anthem of the Seas). However I have not done that much research into Norway and am wondering if this is a good itinerary? Would we be missing any major cities/sights by choosing this itinerary? Bonus for us is the start/end location in Southampton is a much cheaper flight from Canada than flying into Norway, the dates work, and Norway is of interest to both of us.

We are both very active and outdoorsy so I am just trying to get a sense of what there is to "do" in these places and if this would be a good trip for us. My initial google searches are showing lots of fjord cruises and nice towns to walk around but I am hoping someone better versed in Norway travel could provide input on this itinerary. Thanks in advance for any input! 

Sun, May 12: Southampton - England
(Depart 5:00 PM)
Mon, May 13: At Sea
Tue, May 14: Bergen - Norway
(11:59 AM - 7:00 PM)
Wed, May 15: Olden - Norway
(7:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
Thu, May 16: Geiranger - Norway
(9:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
Fri, May 17: Haugesund - Norway
(11:59 AM - 6:00 PM)
Sat, May 18: At Sea
Sun, May 19: Southampton - England

(Arrive 5:30 AM)

Decent itinerary - Bergen is the most interesting coastal city in Norway - with lots of sights.  Olden and Geiranger are fine deep fjord ports of call with excellent opportunities for excursions on your own to viewpoints.  
Haugesund is less interesting.  
May might be a bit early - som viewpoints in Geiranger might be closed due to snow. 

12 minutes ago, aroundtheworld96 said:

I was casually browsing RCL cruises as my husband and I (early 30s) have been discussing a Europe trip for next/spring and came across this cruise to Norway that was offered for what seems to be a very good deal (I am seeing 1000USD per person with all taxes and fees on Anthem of the Seas). However I have not done that much research into Norway and am wondering if this is a good itinerary? Would we be missing any major cities/sights by choosing this itinerary? Bonus for us is the start/end location in Southampton is a much cheaper flight from Canada than flying into Norway, the dates work, and Norway is of interest to both of us.

We are both very active and outdoorsy so I am just trying to get a sense of what there is to "do" in these places and if this would be a good trip for us. My initial google searches are showing lots of fjord cruises and nice towns to walk around but I am hoping someone better versed in Norway travel could provide input on this itinerary. Thanks in advance for any input! 

Sun, May 12: Southampton - England
(Depart 5:00 PM)
Mon, May 13: At Sea
Tue, May 14: Bergen - Norway
(11:59 AM - 7:00 PM)
Wed, May 15: Olden - Norway
(7:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
Thu, May 16: Geiranger - Norway
(9:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
Fri, May 17: Haugesund - Norway
(11:59 AM - 6:00 PM)
Sat, May 18: At Sea
Sun, May 19: Southampton - England

(Arrive 5:30 AM)

It is okay, but I would want to go to all the big fjords - Flaam, Stavanger and Geiranger and nix Bergen.  Norway is about the scenery (like Alaska) and not the cities IMO.  If you do go, have a great time.

I think it looks really good for a 7-day! Two interior fjord ports plus Bergen is pretty good for that length trip.

Geiranger is one of the UNESCO-listed fjords and has an amazing sail-in through a steep narrow fjord with lots of waterfalls. I’ve cruised through in May, and it was lovely. However, it’s a bit early in the season, so the road to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba will likely be closed still. If you’re looking for something more active, there is a trail up to Vesterås Gård that starts behind the Hotel Union, and from there you can easily hike to a handful of different overlooks. (You can find the Geiranger hiking map as a PDF online.)

Olden is also at the inner end of a long fjord and has long been a common cruise port, so there are a handful of attractions. The nearby glacier is no longer much of a draw as it has receded significantly in the last few decades, but the area has built up some other attractions for the cruise visitors.

Bergen isn’t a fjord port, but it has its own UNESCO heritage sites among its colorful iconic waterfront history. It has long been a favorite among cruise visitors and land tourists alike.

Haugesund is generally much less interesting unless you have a keen interest in the area’s WWII history. However… you will be there on 17 May, which is Norway’s national day. Expect a lot of things to be closed, but you should also be able to see people out and about in their traditional dress, and you can check the city’s website to see if there is a small parade in town. Grab a Norwegian flag to wave, and join in the local celebration!

• Like 1

I agree this is a good trip for a 7 day, price seems good.   RCCL is a safe bet.   We have been on many European trips, all have their pluses, but I would put a Norway cruise near the very top of the list - especially if you are active and enjoy outdoors.   I prefer Amsterdam over Southampton as departure - but you got a good price out of Southampton.    If you have not been to London spend a couple nights there before taking the bus to Southampton.

Have fun....

I had never thought about being in Norway during Syttende Mai! (Literally the 17th of May, or the Norway Constitution Day) I think it might be a great way to see local celebrations (where I live we celebrate Syttende Mai with a weekend festival) and having Norwegian blood I would find this interesting. Just starting to explore Norway for a cruise when I retire so stumbled on this as I am looking for a good time to go, and a good itinerary as well.

• Like 1

Mrs and daughter were in Bergen for this event a few years back and despite just about everyplace being closed they had a good time. The local folks enjoyed seeing visitors sharing in their celebration and Mrs was very impressed with the 'traditional dress' many wore on this day .... more impressed when she discovered what these garments typically cost!!

Parades:

image.thumb.png.6bcdd089672fbab99acb14a1c63773fe.png

image.thumb.png.7db2359add8b0ac28b7508e7995e1945.png

1 hour ago, cruisewiscrrq said:

From Stoughton, know all about Settende Mai. You?  Going on Viking Homelands Cruise in June. Too cold in May and have teacher in group. Always nice to see Bucky!

Waunakee! Love the Norwegian Dancers and do Hardanger (took a great class in Stoughton). Lefse and meatballs all day long, but lutefisk not so much. Still have family in Norway that we are in contact with so it is my goal to get to Norway someday.  Of course, if you live in Wisconsin Norway in May can't be all that different.

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2023 at 9:03 PM, WisconsinFan said:

I had never thought about being in Norway during Syttende Mai! (Literally the 17th of May, or the Norway Constitution Day) I think it might be a great way to see local celebrations (where I live we celebrate Syttende Mai with a weekend festival) and having Norwegian blood I would find this interesting. Just starting to explore Norway for a cruise when I retire so stumbled on this as I am looking for a good time to go, and a good itinerary as well.

In Oslo, it is well worth it! I encourage our visitors from abroad to visit during that time, and we head downtown for the parades, and then wander around town admiring everyone's bunads. It's especially fun in Oslo, since there are so many people who have moved from other parts of the country, which means you get to see a lot of variety amongst different regions' bunad styles.

I've spent the day in Stavanger, and it was much quieter, so I wouldn't expect Haugesund to be especially lively, but there will likely be some people out and about. Since most Norwegians are very proud of the bunad, they tend to be a little more open about strangers approaching them in that context!

One thing worth being aware of is that it's a special day for the country, and people tend to dress up. Locals headed to parties and luncheons usually choose suits and dresses if they don't own bunad. While no one will fault a foreigner coming from a cruise ship for being inappropriate, I'd recommend smart casual dress for the day to be polite. Just wear what you would to the dining room - slacks and nice jeans with a sweater is fine.

• Like 2