Back from my first Viking cruise: reflections

J80crew

43 minutes ago, purpleally said:

I believe it’s much easier to get the drink package. Especially at Chefs table. 

If you get the “drink package” you still have to look at the wine list to see what you want. Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, SJD117 said:

You had the right to “upgrade” your wines even without the SSP, by ordering your preferred selections and paying for them a la carte. This is a common misunderstanding about the package — that it’s the only way to get better quality. Not true.

Depends on how many drinks you consume, if you enjoy cocktail or two with fellow pax after hours, or before the dinner it might be cost offective to have SSP.

23 minutes ago, Jmoondance said:

Depends on how many drinks you consume, if you enjoy cocktail or two with fellow pax after hours, or before the dinner it might be cost offective to have SSP.

Cost effectiveness has nothing to do with access to the full beverage menu on Viking. Everyone can order any wine or drink at any time - the SSBP is just one of the ways to pay for them. 🍺🥌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Cost effectiveness has nothing to do with access to the full beverage menu on Viking. Everyone can order any wine or drink at any time - the SSBP is just one of the ways to pay for them. 🍺🥌

Of course!

One must answer what is best for them.

We all have to pay what we owe.

22 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I respect your right to voice your opinion, in the hope that you respect my right to say that your last paragraph is, in my opinion, nonsensical. I think I agree with some of your statement, but I'm not certain

All right, it is not up to all of us, just those who have such a desire.

I have just returned from the Viking Mars. (Aust/New Zealand).   The food was noticeably a step down. Some of "The Restaurant " main courses left a lot to be desired. Sounding good on the menu, but in reality, 2 very small lamb chops with a smear of something mashed and a blob of something else, was underwhelming.     I had larger lamb chops served for breakfast, and three served with the Lotus menu at the "Chefs Table"   Apple Tart Tatin, turned out to be a small round of pasty, (very small) topped with some apple slices.    Pastries served in Mansens very extremely dry.  Buffet pastries are now a lot smaller, and variety different.  The round pinwheel raisin pastries, were only served on last day.

Also no special dinners as previously.

We have booked a 32day cruise around Australia for January 2025.  With the new increased pricing, I hope they deliver better dining experiences.  Service etc was excellent.  There were still good food choices to be made, but overall a drop in standards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, harbourside said:

I have just returned from the Viking Mars. (Aust/New Zealand).   The food was noticeably a step down. Some of "The Restaurant " main courses left a lot to be desired. Sounding good on the menu, but in reality, 2 very small lamb chops with a smear of something mashed and a blob of something else, was underwhelming.     I had larger lamb chops served for breakfast, and three served with the Lotus menu at the "Chefs Table"   Apple Tart Tatin, turned out to be a small round of pasty, (very small) topped with some apple slices.    Pastries served in Mansens very extremely dry.  Buffet pastries are now a lot smaller, and variety different.  The round pinwheel raisin pastries, were only served on last day.

We have booked a 32day cruise around Australia for January 2025.  With the new increased pricing, I hope they deliver better dining experiences.  Service etc was excellent.  There were still good food choices to be made, but overall a drop in standards.

As a previous cruiser with Viking that needs to be passed on to them. I understand issues of supply but with this itinerary in Australia there is no excuse for poor quality.  Lamb is very expensive in Australia though. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, harbourside said:

Decrease quantity/quality and/or increase price. It's how things are done. Remember when a can of tomatoes contained 32oz.?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Will be sailing March 20. Will be comparing the food with Oceania to decide which line in the future. Oceania was great. We will see. 

We've been speaking to good friends we met on Viking cruises who are on Oceana right now (South America) - 1200 people.   They said the food was better at Oceana for sure, but that there were other things with Viking they liked better.   So it probably depends on how important better food is to one.  If that's the top priority, then you have your answer.  Will be interesting to hear what you think!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We've been speaking to good friends we met on Viking cruises who are on Oceana right now (South America) - 1200 people.   They said the food was better at Oceana for sure, but that there were other things with Viking they liked better.   So it probably depends on how important better food is to one.  If that's the top priority, then you have your answer.  Will be interesting to hear what you think!

Very good point. We each bring to the plate different priorities. For some it is food, others wine, others excursions, etc. 

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Viking has increased pricing significantly. So the quality and quantity should not decrease. 

Recent price increases most likely just keep up with recent cost increases. I keep reminding myself of the sad but true reality of two years of lack of any revenue. Some of that will have to be recouped somehow, as there were still expenses during that time. 

56 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Recent price increases most likely just keep up with recent cost increases. I keep reminding myself of the sad but true reality of two years of lack of any revenue. Some of that will have to be recouped somehow, as there were still expenses during that time. 

Cost of doing business factors in. Do they carry business interruption insurance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lackcreativity said:

Dynamic pricing in response to strong bookings?

As I stated, I was disappointed in some of the food, but I like Viking (It suits us), so I booked another cruise with them.  We found the included tours good, the staff fantastic and we like the ship.  I am hoping with a 32 day cruise around Australia, (this will be the first they have done), they will add a bit of mix to the food and do some special themed dining nights as on first cruise.  First timers, may be disappointed, or returning quests, expecting similar to their previous cruises.  I was willing to give it another go, but Viking is now getting close to in price and surpassing some Seabourn and Silverseas specials  I was looking at.  I looked carefully at what is included and what isn't.  I do a spreadsheet to compare, but itinerary is also important.  That is why I booked this new Viking Australian Circumnavigation cruise.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, harbourside said:

As I stated, I was disappointed in some of the food, but I like Viking (It suits us), so I booked another cruise with them.  We found the included tours good, the staff fantastic and we like the ship.  I am hoping with a 32 day cruise around Australia, (this will be the first they have done), they will add a bit of mix to the food and do some special themed dining nights as on first cruise.  First timers, may be disappointed, or returning quests, expecting similar to their previous cruises.  I was willing to give it another go, but Viking is now getting close to in price and surpassing some Seabourn and Silverseas specials  I was looking at.  I looked carefully at what is included and what isn't.  I do a spreadsheet to compare, but itinerary is also important.  That is why I booked this new Viking Australian Circumnavigation cruise.

What good does "a bit of mix to the food" and "some special themed dining nights" do if the food is disappointing?

16 minutes ago, duquephart said:

What good does "a bit of mix to the food" and "some special themed dining nights" do if the food is disappointing?

I said SOME of the food was disappointing, mainly in that it did not match descriptions.  I also said there was good food choices also.   Overall standards had dropped. I was comparing to previous Viking cruise.  Obviously, themed dining nights add variety and interest.  We liked our two Chefs table meals, and Manfreddis  was good (not great).