Questions about Breakaway in Greece/Italy.

lcantw3658

I’ve cruised many times but never with NCL or in Europe. We are leaving from Rome and I have a few questions. 
1. What time do you arrange your transport from Rome to port. Ship leaves at 5pm and I know it’s about an hour drive so I was thinking to have a nice leisurely breakfast in Rome and arranging transport for 11:30ish? Does that work?

2. Because the ship is doing Greece and Italy, do the regular dining room menus reflect that? I don’t really want to eat traditional “American” food. I want to enjoy the flavors of the Mediterranean.

3. My friend is a huge tennis fan. I assume that she’ll be able to get nightly highlights of the French Open in one of the sports bars?

4. Because Med cruises are so port intensive with early morning excursions in most ports, is it still pretty active at night? Or is it pretty quiet at night?  
5. I know ship docks in early A.M. If I arrange transport back to Rome around 10:30ish, does that allow plenty of time to get back to Rome, checking to hotel and be at Colosseum for a 2:45 tour?

6. this may be an off the wall question but has anyone who has been to Rome ever been to the venue where they play the Italian Tennis Open? I said she was a huge tennis fan and she would love to see that venue. Is it open to the public just to look around? 

Sorry for all the questions….and I’m sure I’ll think of more. Thank you for any help I can get. This is my dream trip and I just want it to be perfect. 

1 hour ago, lcantw3658 said:

I’ve cruised many times but never with NCL or in Europe. We are leaving from Rome and I have a few questions. 
1. What time do you arrange your transport from Rome to port. Ship leaves at 5pm and I know it’s about an hour drive so I was thinking to have a nice leisurely breakfast in Rome and arranging transport for 11:30ish? Does that work?  

2. Because the ship is doing Greece and Italy, do the regular dining room menus reflect that? I don’t really want to eat traditional “American” food. I want to enjoy the flavors of the Mediterranean.

3. My friend is a huge tennis fan. I assume that she’ll be able to get nightly highlights of the French Open in one of the sports bars?

4. Because Med cruises are so port intensive with early morning excursions in most ports, is it still pretty active at night? Or is it pretty quiet at night?  
5. I know ship docks in early A.M. If I arrange transport back to Rome around 10:30ish, does that allow plenty of time to get back to Rome, checking to hotel and be at Colosseum for a 2:45 tour?

6. this may be an off the wall question but has anyone who has been to Rome ever been to the venue where they play the Italian Tennis Open? I said she was a huge tennis fan and she would love to see that venue. Is it open to the public just to look around? 

Sorry for all the questions….and I’m sure I’ll think of more. Thank you for any help I can get. This is my dream trip and I just want it to be perfect. 

I'll do my best....

1.  11:30ish should work, but I like to get there early so I can board by 11:30ish - do what works for you.

2.  I've never noted a menu change that corellated to where I was sailing from.  Interested to hear if others have experienced anything different.

3.  Most sports are available - they may show highlights at odd times, but there is usually a period of time where highlights are on a loop. 

4.  I think it just depends on the cruiser - even on port intensive cruises there's always something going on well into the evening - you just have to pick and choose to conserve your energy if you want to hit the ports hard.  😁

5.  No experience

6.  No experience

Hope this helps!

The French Open is held at Roland-Garros.  Here is a link to their tour website page.  I'm not sure if they would be giving tours during the French Open tournament, however.   Maybe.

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/page/stadium-tour-roland-garros-philippe-chatrier-court-infos-tickets-prices

Edited to Add:  Ooops.  I just re-read that you are asking about the Italian Open site.  The above is for Paris.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

How are you planning on getting back to Rome city at the conclusion of the cruise? I am putting together a shared van from the ship back to Rome city, fairly cheap when you share. Already have one on reserve, just need to get more passengers. If interested, please reply and I will send more information. Thanks.

On 2/24/2023 at 9:18 PM, lcantw3658 said:

1. When you say "Rome," do you mean central Rome or Fiumicino airport? I assume you are staying in Rome (the actual city) beforehand. (Great idea, BTW, I've been there many times and love it). There are plenty of trains from Rome to Civitavecchia (where the cruise port is), and I think your plan is fine, i.e. 11:30 out to the port. Just be aware (since you mentioned in your post that you have never been to Europe on a cruise before) that Italians love strikes, so plan ahead to be sure the railway workers haven't gone on strike while you're there.

5. Same rules apply, if you're off the ship early, I don't see a problem being in Rome by 10:30 am ceteris paribus, i.e. all things being equal. Just understand that Italians aren't famous for being punctual. I've been to Italy 27 times, and Germany, it ain't. 😉

When is your cruise? We are booked on a Greece/Italy Breakaway cruise on Nov 2, 2023.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m not sure about specific highlights of the french open but the bbc world news channel on the stateroom tv will probably show some brief highlights. If you want access to in depth coverage Eurosport is the main broadcaster for the tournament. There is an app for Eurosport and it’s also part of the discovery family of channels over here so you may have access through their app if you have a subscription.