Outdoor Dining in Alaska

lovinger

I'll be on the NCL Bliss for an Alaska cruise in two months and was wondering if outdoor dining on the Waterfront or the buffet is realistic? I read that there is overhead heating, but I'd love to hear from others who tried dining outdoors on NCL in Alaska. Thanks!

I"m on in a couple months also and am looking forward to it being chilly.  I'd love to eat outside with blankets and a heater.  I live in Florida and it's been so hot here already in February that I can't wait to be a little cold.  I guess it all depends on your preferences.  I've been on Alaskan cruises where we wore tank tops and were warm.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:03 AM, lovinger said:

I'll be on the NCL Bliss for an Alaska cruise in two months and was wondering if outdoor dining on the Waterfront or the buffet is realistic? I read that there is overhead heating, but I'd love to hear from others who tried dining outdoors on NCL in Alaska. Thanks!

The Norwegian Bliss was purpose-built for the Alaskan market. The buffet and specialty dining outside dining areas have heaters in the ceilings to take some of the chill off. We have dined outside on the Joy and the Encore.

It will really depend on the day and the weather. There are some days when it is raining (non starter) and some days when it is very windy (non starter). We were outside as we got underway from a port and as the ship turned, our side of the ship got blasted by the wind and tablecloths and dishes were literally flying off tables... everyone was moved inside. 

Bottom line, if you are prepared for the chill, it is beautiful eating al fresco in Alaska as you move between ports. 

image.png.fd0991ab2e7be196fe8130ca8f63a3ed.png

Views from our table - people seated outside often stand to take sunset pictures 🙂 

image.png.5f6a1802953d2f79b796c701bb5d3698.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

A bit off topic, but does anyone know if there are outdoor dining options on the Spirit?  I'm heading to Alaska on it this summer and would LOVE to eat outside but I don't see any options for true outside dining (except maybe The Great Outdoors which looks more like fast food).

50 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Norwegian Bliss was purpose-built for the Alaskan market. The buffet and specialty dining outside dining areas have heaters in the ceilings to take some of the chill off. We have dined outside on the Joy and the Encore.

It will really depend on the day and the weather. There are some days when it is raining (non starter) and some days when it is very windy (non starter). We were outside as we got underway from a port and as the ship turned, our side of the ship got blasted by the wind and tablecloths and dishes were literally flying off tables... everyone was moved inside. 

Bottom line, if you are prepared for the chill, it is beautiful eating al fresco in Alaska as you move between ports. 

image.png.fd0991ab2e7be196fe8130ca8f63a3ed.png

Views from our table - people seated outside often stand to take sunset pictures 🙂 

image.png.5f6a1802953d2f79b796c701bb5d3698.png

Thank you for sharing your experiences and those gorgeous photos! I hope the weather cooperates and I can try the outdoor seating. If so, I'll report back after my cruise. 

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

What are the differences between Bliss and Encore.  We're booked in 2025 on Encore.

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

What are the differences between Bliss and Encore.  We're booked in 2025 on Encore.

From the perspective of outdoors dining, the Bliss, Encore, and Joy are similar. All are purpose built for Alaska. All have heaters above specialty dining and buffet seating (and American Diner). All have heated pools and water features. All have observation lounges. 

Note: Heaters don't mean that it is hot, their effectiveness depends on how windy it is. 

Note: Heated pools mean that the water is pool temperature, not hot tub temperature

There were heaters on the Prima, but fewer al fresco opportunities. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Escaping2016 said:

Not sure but I had to listen to my then 16 year old son complain about it the whole time .

Oh my! Poor guy...you can figure out if I mean you or him. haha

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

From what you have shared with us, I'm guessing that you (like myself) appeared well enough insulated without the blanket? 🤣

Hahahahaha this killed me! You're so right. 🙂

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Wear a skirt.

Not a bad idea! I usually wear shorts, but skirts do seem to be more comfortable.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

From the perspective of outdoors dining, the Bliss, Encore, and Joy are similar. All are purpose built for Alaska. All have heaters above specialty dining and buffet seating (and American Diner). All have heated pools and water features. All have observation lounges. 

Note: Heaters don't mean that it is hot, their effectiveness depends on how windy it is. 

Note: Heated pools mean that the water is pool temperature, not hot tub temperature

There were heaters on the Prima, but fewer al fresco opportunities. 

The Joy was purpose built for Asia.

• Like 1