Boarding day suite lunch

annenic

I had a perfect lunch on embarkation day on Silhouette last month. It ordered shrimp ceviche (I think!), a kale salad, and truffle fries. What you can't see in the pictures below is the olive bread that was to die for!

image.thumb.png.95354b8e4e7acc45a9bb30a645eeb6d3.png

image.thumb.png.fbe6eaea59225b78589b7c9108fe7c47.png

Edited by tnm6217
attachments
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 39august said:

There is usually lobster roll on the first day menu.

I saw a comment somewhere recently (not sure if it was here on cruisecritic or elsewhere) where they used the lobster roll meat as a topping on the Luminae burger. I found it very intriguing and I'm strongly considering this strategic culinary maneuver next month.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, George C said:

I had never had a bad lunch there until my last cruise on beyond had to send a couple things back including Cobb salad . I think the service in E class lacking a bit , looking forward to royal suite in summit, flying to Florida in two weeks . 

Post covid, we've only cruised in M-Class so I was speaking from that experience. Sad that E-class may not be meeting expectations.

23 hours ago, George C said:

I had never had a bad lunch there until my last cruise on beyond had to send a couple things back including Cobb salad . I think the service in E class lacking a bit , looking forward to royal suite in summit, flying to Florida in two weeks . 

22 hours ago, RichYak said:

I saw a comment somewhere recently (not sure if it was here on cruisecritic or elsewhere) where they used the lobster roll meat as a topping on the Luminae burger. I found it very intriguing and I'm strongly considering this strategic culinary maneuver next month.

oooo, that sounds interesting!!  Let us know what you thought!

• Like 1

Agree with the strategy of going soon after Luminae opens as, in our experience, it hits hectic at 1ish. We tend to skip breakfast, even if included at our hotel, so just after midday we are hungry. We arrive early at the port, drop off our hand luggage at our room securing valuables in the safe, head to the Retreat for a glass of bubbly then head for lunch. Works perfectly!

Re the food. We try to remember we want to enjoy our evening meal and not get too over full…I do love the burger but half is enough then I will usually have a light starter and skip dessert. We often don’t want wine at this time as we can genuinely be thirsty but want to start our holiday in style. We find lots of water plus a signature cocktail works well I seem to remember enjoying a ‘spicy passion’ (could have the name wrong) was rather nice!

On 2/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, tnm6217 said:

I had a perfect lunch on embarkation day on Silhouette last month. It ordered shrimp ceviche (I think!), a kale salad, and truffle fries. What you can't see in the pictures below is the olive bread that was to die for!

image.thumb.png.95354b8e4e7acc45a9bb30a645eeb6d3.png

image.thumb.png.fbe6eaea59225b78589b7c9108fe7c47.png

The Prawn Ceviche is the dish I most look forward to in Luminae.  I had a moment of disappointment on our last cruise when the day 1 lunch menu was a different menu but fortunately it showed up later on a sea day lunch.

On 2/27/2023 at 3:38 PM, marieps said:

I sooo miss the split-top buns of my youth in NH.  And those red hot dogs.  Where did you go to school?  DW & I are BU grads.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:56 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Never had a bad lunch in Luminae.    Service can be slow in all restaurants on the first day as waiters and passengers get to know each other.   I don't particularly care as I'm not doing anything except unpacking.

Lobster Rolls, like other food, is subjective.  It is warm water lobster, the rolls aren't like those you would get in Maine and the portion is relatively small.  If not full order a second or a second entree.   You will not starve for sure.

New England native here.  In case the following ever comes up in trivia.  The lobster roll originated in Connecticut which is Maine lobster served hot with butter; this is often called "Connecticut style".  Later came the "Maine lobster roll" (northern New England) or "Lobster salad roll" (southern New England), which serves the Maine lobster cold in mayo and some restaurants elect to bulk it up by adding "fillers" like celery

• Thanks 3

On 2/27/2023 at 10:48 PM, RichYak said:

We boarded Reflection the other day, and a fellow got the lobster roll plus an extra bowl of the lobster salad. He loaded up the roll with the extra. 

Pretty clever! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

We boarded Reflection the other day, and a fellow got the lobster roll plus an extra bowl of the lobster salad. He loaded up the roll with the extra. 

Pretty clever! 

I like this idea better than the lobster meat on the burger trick. I'm all for surf n turf but I think I'd prefer it in separate mouthfuls.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Your fingernails must be huge. I would guess 2-3 Tablespoons might be a more accurate.

Either you were lucky or I was unlucky. Lobster was almost nonexistent on the Eclipse in November.

Now the burger, on the other hand, is excellent. Very few places actually cook burgers to order anymore so it was really nice to have an actual medium rare burger.

Edited by mahasamatman
  • Like 1