Transpacific enrichment opportunities

clojacks

1 hour ago, clojacks said:

We are doing a TP on the Jewel next spring from Japan to Alaska. We will have 4 sea days mid-cruise, and never having done a trans on NCL, we're wondering if they do any enrichment stuff on the ocean crossing sea days? 

There's not usually anything on any long Norwegian cruise, but on rare occasions we've had a guest lecturer.  Quality varies a lot, to be kind.

BTW, the Jewel Tokyo to Seward will have five sea days in a row, not four.  The Tuesday marked "cross international date line" is a sea day - twice.  You'll get another Tuesday as you travel eastbound.

The one we had on our Transatlantic last November  did not know how to spell or much about the land bridge between  Russia and Alaska many many years ago even though he was speaking about how the continents  formed!

https://www.nps.gov/bela/learn/historyculture/the-bering-land-bridge-theory.htm

Our first thought was that he was a last minute replacement but most experienced NCL cruisers said he was about average. Not as good as Royal or Celebrity by several orders of magnitude!

On 2/27/2023 at 5:38 PM, clojacks said:

We are doing a TP on the Jewel next spring from Japan to Alaska. We will have 4 sea days mid-cruise, and never having done a trans on NCL, we're wondering if they do any enrichment stuff on the ocean crossing sea days? 

I am also on that cruise;  my experience on NCL has not to have lecturers but most recently on the Athens-Cape Town sailing we actually put a note in the suggestion box at Guest Services requesting some lecturers and they did so.  By no means were they like a college lecture, just basics with a power point.  It was done by a staff member who had been a teacher for 15 years.

I would be one who would definitely appreciate having lectures on this upcoming sailing.

Genzi

54 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

I am also on that cruise;  my experience on NCL has not to have lecturers but most recently on the Athens-Cape Town sailing we actually put a note in the suggestion box at Guest Services requesting some lecturers and they did so.  By no means were they like a college lecture, just basics with a power point.  It was done by a staff member who had been a teacher for 15 years.

I would be one who would definitely appreciate having lectures on this upcoming sailing.

Genzi

And Cowboy Dave did a great job given that he was usually only given a day or two to develop his presentations along with doing his other regular Entertainment staff job!  What we couldn't figure out was why the Excursion folks weren't giving these port lectures in an effort to sell more excursions rather than the Entertainment staff. 🤔

His first lecture was in a packed Bliss Lounge about crossing the Equator. Then his second one, which was also packed, was given up in Spinnakers. But after that due to the high demand, they allowed him to continue on with at least 3 more in the Stardust theater! Sure, there were a few misspelled words. But many times Dave being from the Philippines would use them to his advantage to get folks laughing! 😃

848EAE55-0AED-494E-ADFF-E06FDFBD3CF6.thumb.jpeg.7d5a13d04295457b2d81183b09f8f1af.jpeg

95A040B0-201F-4AD1-BFC4-FCC6E3E61152.thumb.jpeg.a1f75a75d75270421afd7e0c9a509a5d.jpeg

Also doing the TP next year. 

Just off the Star where we had a team doing sea-day lectures and live commentary while we were down in Antarctica. Very well done and much appreciated.  Team was always approachable and made themselves available for questions, all 3 were obviously very passionate about their areas of expertise.

I seem to recall my cruise in Norway, which was years ago, also had lectures, can't remember if it was a passenger or a staff member.

I'll definitely encourage NCL to consider doing the same for any cruise with a significant # of sea days when I do my post cruise survey.  I've been told that comments on the surveys are actually read....

• Like 1

I mentioned misspelled words in the PowerPoint presentation as he was a  former college professor with a doctorate and a lot of time to prepare his slides he did not even bring a laser pointer and blamed the cruise line for not having one!  He did not seem to realize he could just move the curser on the laptop to point stuff out that he was showing on the screen!