Suggestion for some town interesting to stay for 1 night somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton. Car transfer info.

gam888

17 hours ago, jeh10641 said:

Hello, John Bull,

I guess the deciding factor is time. On our last trip to London (2009), we drove from Chiswick (west London) to Canterbury and then to Hastings on our first day. We stayed overnight in Hastings. On the next morning we visited Battle and the Battle of Hastings site. After our visit, we drove to Salisbury, stopping in Plymouth to see Nelson's Victory. Even though we were driving "on the wrong side of the road", it was an easy drive.

Jim

Portsmouth not Plymouth.... That's a hell of a detour otherwise! 

Windsor is definitely worth a visit if you haven't been before, or Marlow if you like somewhere smaller (would recommend eating at the Ivy Garden there)

If you don't mind being 25 mins past Southampton I would recommend Brockenhurst in the New Forest. The Pig hotel there is excellent. 

• Thanks 1

The U.K. Cruising board has been down for a few days, so I couldn't pose my question there. Wondering if the folks on this board could help. We are sailing on Cunard Queen Victoria in May. We will need a car transfer for the 2 of us from Heathrow airport to Windsor, where we will stay in a hotel for 1 night. The next day we will need a transfer from Windsor to the cruise terminal in Southampton. Then at the end of our cruise, we will need a transfer from Southampton to Heathrow airport. With our luggage, we are not into taking a train. We have gotten some quotes from a few taxi/transfer companies, they vary in price quite a bit. Does anyone have a taxi/transfer company they have used that they would recommend? We don't need a luxury car, just a reliable service will do. Thank you in advance.

For LHR to Windsor no recommendations from me, other than to use one of the Windsor-based operators that I listed in another post of yours..

For Windsor to Southampton try

https://westquaycars.com/

https://gunwharf-executive-travel.co.uk/

https://www.aquacars.co.uk/

All are based at the Southampton end.

Or try those Windsor-based operators.

JB 🙂

• Like 2

23 hours ago, gam888 said:

The U.K. Cruising board has been down for a few days, so I couldn't pose my question there. Wondering if the folks on this board could help. We are sailing on Cunard Queen Victoria in May. We will need a car transfer for the 2 of us from Heathrow airport to Windsor, where we will stay in a hotel for 1 night. The next day we will need a transfer from Windsor to the cruise terminal in Southampton. Then at the end of our cruise, we will need a transfer from Southampton to Heathrow airport. With our luggage, we are not into taking a train. We have gotten some quotes from a few taxi/transfer companies, they vary in price quite a bit. Does anyone have a taxi/transfer company they have used that they would recommend? We don't need a luxury car, just a reliable service will do. Thank you in advance.

@gam888

Your numerous new threads regarding the same topic have been merged into this thread you started February 24. Your fellow Cruise Critic members have tried to help you as best they could.

suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread where you are interested in the replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new replies because they will come looking for you as notifications! If you need more info on how to do it, please click the following: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info)

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat 

• Thanks 2