Dining package

The wording on the 3 day dining package description says

• “Dinner at three specialty dining venues.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.” 

The cost of the package,  discounted 40% is $113 for adults. How does that add up? $20x3 is only $60. What am I missing?

6 minutes ago, mymirabella said:

• For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.” 

The cost of the package,  discounted 40% is $113 for adults. How does that add up? $20x3 is only $60. What am I missing?

Most people wouldnt choose one of the ala carte. Choose 150 or chops or Giovanni. Or dont buy it if you just want a cheaper ala carte venue.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mymirabella said:

They are using the same wording as they do with the unlimited package where people may be inclined to use it at the a la carte places for lunch

46 minutes ago, mymirabella said:

Three specialty choices would add up to about $160 with out the package. 

48 minutes ago, mymirabella said:

You're able to do both in the same day, same as the UDP. Think of it as UDP for 3 specific days

So the wine discount only applies  for the bottle purchased during the dinner do I have to drink the whole bottle at dinner or can I bring it with me?

While I’m asking Questions What about the premium drink package?  Can a bottle purchased with the discount from the package be shared with the dining companions? Does the premium dining package come with a drink cup for the freestyle machine?

4 hours ago, SWACruising said:

That has not been our experience and the description could be interpreted otherwise 

Are you saying that if you purchase a 3 night package you also get three $20 food credits as well.  We have had a package on every cruise we have ever taken, never have we been given extra credits. 

5 hours ago, mymirabella said:

While I’m asking Questions What about the premium drink package?  Can a bottle purchased with the discount from the package be shared with the dining companions? Does the premium dining package come with a drink cup for the freestyle machine?

I don't even understand this thread. Izumi is ala carte, we have the 3 night package. I order 4 tempura shrimp and wonton soup. DH orders whatever he wants. No bill. I don't know about other places. Chops, Giovanni's, Jamies, etc. cover the whole meal. 

And regarding your bottle(s) of wine. Yes! You can share them with whomever you wish. ☺️ The dining package DOES NOT include a Freestyle machine drink cup. For that, you would need one of the beverage packages, soda or above. 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Are you saying that if you purchase a 3 night package you also get three $20 food credits as well.  We have had a package on every cruise we have ever taken, never have we been given extra credits. 

On our cruise in September we were on Ovation and did not purchase the UDP because we were in a suite and wanted to try Coastal Kitchen. After a couple days, we decided to purchase the 3 night package to mix it up. We had been going to Fish & Ships for lunch and was previously charged for those meals (lobster). When we went after purchasing the 3 Day, we were given a check at the counter which showed no charge due to the dining plan. Was not expecting that but we ate 3 dinners at specialty restaurants and at least 2 no charge lunches that should have had a fee otherwise.

After that happened, reading the description took on a different interpretation for me.

Do you remember ever using an a la carte restaurant in addition to specialty dinner on the 3 day plan? Hopefully someone else has insight. 

image.png.5faa7a35b5121828b461be4c206c0e67.png

image.png.759c5a1e7634df017dc13c33598765b9.png

These are direct from RC's website.  You get 3 meals at pay restaurants.  Most of the verbiage on their website was incorrectly copied from the UDP section.

I don't know if this has changed recently. And I don't know if there are ways to push limits.

Per the above - You get a meal at 3 pay restaurants of your choice.  The $20 a la carte option doesn't make financial sense - that would be used if you wanted to eat at Johnny Rockets Express or other places that are a la carte.  But that would take the place of one of your 3 meals.  Use those for the expensive places!

Edited by mjmiller
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mjmiller said:

These are direct from RC's website.  You get 3 meals at pay restaurants.  Most of the verbiage on their website was incorrectly copied from the UDP section.

The following is directly from the RCI website describing the 3 Night Dining Package that's available to purchase.

What's Included

• Dinner at three specialty dining venues.
  • For restaurants with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit, which can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with this venue, Izumi Sushi is a prix fixe menu or $34.99 food credit.
  • For ships with these venues, Teppanyaki/Izumi Hibachi is included, with a $15 surcharge, and Chef's Table is included, with a $49.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.

If a la carte restaurants would count as one of your three, why would the limit be $20 when the specialties start at $35 with most over $45? I don't see how it would be pushing the limits when the daily cost of the 3 Day is still higher than the daily cost of the UDP.

Maybe someone onboard or going soon using the 3 day dining can verify 

I am also trying to understand this having just booked our first cruise post pandemic and returning to Royal after a long time. Can you have 3 speciality dinners and also $20 per day towards lunch in an a la carte speciality? If not then this doesn’t seem to make financial sense at all, but maybe I am confused! 

13 hours ago, kruzgal said:

I am also trying to understand this having just booked our first cruise post pandemic and returning to Royal after a long time. Can you have 3 speciality dinners and also $20 per day towards lunch in an a la carte speciality? If not then this doesn’t seem to make financial sense at all, but maybe I am confused! 

A three night package runs about $110. Most specialty's are around $60 with onboard prices. You save about $18 per meal. If you choose to go to a a la carte venue you get a $20 credit and it counts as one of your three. Very hard to spend $20 at JR or Playmakers, and still a lot of food at Izumi per person. Eating at Johnny Rockets instead 150 Central Park seems like a waste, but a lot of people do it. . 

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 5:30 AM, Beer Belly said:

Sorry to jump in, coming from NCL. With RCL Dining Package, you choose 3 specialty dinning, if one of the three is a la carte, you only get a $20 credit for that restaurant, and presented with a Bill ?

If you eat over $20 then yes you pay the difference. A $20 credit at JR, Izumi, Sabor or Playmakers is a lot of food.