Here we go again. AB booking HC cabins.

Umbarger

So I took a closer look at the placard: it was a homemade fake.

:eek:

That's crazy. First I've heard of a homemade fake one. I've heard of ppl using their relatives' cards or using it after their temporary issue went away or falsely getting a card for themself (some docs will sign anything...), but not a fake!

I do hope they learned their lesson from your hubby!

We live near Daytona Beach and a year or two ago they caught something like 20 people trying to use fake placards in the parking for the 500 beyond those just trying to use someone else's real placard. The local news covered it. Apparently there are websites where you can buy the fakes.

i booked yesterday on the oasis and have to complete a form for the HC info, booked directly with ROYAL

We also booked with RCI and are required to complete a form and fax it to them. Last year, when we booked through a travel agent, Celebrity required a doctor's note stating that the cabin was required.

have very recently booked with HAL,NCL and ROYAL. all are now requiring a form to be completed or questions re necessitity to book HC before confirming release of an HC cabin. about time and definitely in the right direction.

I am sailing on NCL in 3 weeks and have never filled out any form and I am disabled. :):)

I am sailing on NCL in 3 weeks and have never filled out any form and I am disabled. :):)

When I sailed on the NCL Jewel last October, --actually, 9 months before that when I booked my cruise, my TA was sent a form that he forwarded to me, that I have to complete, in order to book the HC cabin. I also had to submit a letter from my doctor verifying that I used a wheelchair and needed an HC cabin.

The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 requires that any building built new or remodeled after 1990 provide at least 1 washroom stall that is wheelchair accessible. The ADA Act does not require it to be for the sole use of the HC. Anyone can use these stalls. In recent years Children safety organizations have lobbied for family stalls as many regular stalls are too small to fit multiple people. To avoid the cost of remodeling , by removing the HC insignia on the HC stall lnow serves a duel purpose. Next time you're in public washroom check to see how many stalls actually have a HC insignia posted on the stall door anymore. Most don't. At least where I live.

Human Nature is a funny thing, one would think AB people would be sensitive to those that needs these stalls, being disabled myself, I would hope those who are HC would also be sensitive to the needs of mother shopping with children.

In my view , it is a design flaw to include changing stations in the handicap stall. While waiting at the airport in line to cathe Steve in the only accessible stall, many people came and went in other stalls while we waited. Most did not require the stall, but why make people with disabilities wait even longer for another use when they are only accorded one stall in the first place? They should have a slightly larger stall in another part of the bathroom that has a changing station. This is not about people with disabilities lacking sensitivity. There should not be another burden added onto the already long wait they have in the restroom.

In my view , it is a design flaw to include changing stations in the handicap stall. While waiting at the airport in line to cathe Steve in the only accessible stall, many people came and went in other stalls while we waited. Most did not require the stall, but why make people with disabilities wait even longer for another use when they are only accorded one stall in the first place? They should have a slightly larger stall in another part of the bathroom that has a changing station. This is not about people with disabilities lacking sensitivity. There should not be another burden added onto the already long wait they have in the restroom.

I have noticed that there are more and more bathrooms with a room designated as a "family bathroom", and these are in addition to the regular bathrooms with usually one handicap designated stall and several "regular" stalls. I've been in these rooms - -and they do have both grab bars and raised toilets, and also the changing table. These seem perfect for both situations -- those of us who need assistance because of our disability, and parents of either sex who need to tend to a baby's diaper.

When I sailed on the NCL Jewel last October, --actually, 9 months before that when I booked my cruise, my TA was sent a form that he forwarded to me, that I have to complete, in order to book the HC cabin. I also had to submit a letter from my doctor verifying that I used a wheelchair and needed an HC cabin.

Should I be worried? I was never sent a form by my TA and I have not even seen this form.:) :)

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRrrrrrggggggggggggghhhh..

why do i follow those links....i had to sit on my hands to not post some wise bu++ reply.

sheesh.

i am considering trying an accessible JS on our upcoming cruise if one opens...my mom is ill and her hip has been eroded by a tumor....thus she can't really stand or get off the toilet...or over the side of the tub...BUT if i can't then we will just have to work it out...i would hate for her to miss out-who knows how much longer we will be able to do this together.....but if an AB person is IN one of them, that's it...OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR! :-) someone is goin' swimming with the fishies and it won't be me!

it's sad though, while i would like to think that people can be considerate, i should know better. heck i won't even park in a HC spot with the placard unless she gets out of the car, and even then i generally drop her off and park someplace else (as the HC spots are generally taken by....nevermind!)

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRrrrrrggggggggggggghhhh..

why do i follow those links....i had to sit on my hands to not post some wise bu++ reply.

sheesh.

i am considering trying an accessible JS on our upcoming cruise if one opens...my mom is ill and her hip has been eroded by a tumor....thus she can't really stand or get off the toilet...or over the side of the tub...BUT if i can't then we will just have to work it out...i would hate for her to miss out-who knows how much longer we will be able to do this together.....but if an AB person is IN one of them, that's it...OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR! :-) someone is goin' swimming with the fishies and it won't be me!

it's sad though, while i would like to think that people can be considerate, i should know better. heck i won't even park in a HC spot with the placard unless she gets out of the car, and even then i generally drop her off and park someplace else (as the HC spots are generally taken by....nevermind!)

Do remember, though, that sometimes able-bodied people are in HC cabins because they booked at the last minute and the cabin was available, or they booked a "guarantee" and that was the cabin they were assigned, or...and this is important...

just because someone doesn't look handicapped doesn't mean they aren't handicapped, and might indeed need at least things like the raised toilet, extra grab bars, a shower with a drop-down shower seat, etc.

I absolutely get angry at folks who deliberately book an HC cabin that don't need one....and of course folks who park in HC spots that don't need them either!...but a certain amount of caution is in order.

I hope you and your mother have a great cruise!

Do remember, though, that sometimes able-bodied people are in HC cabins because they booked at the last minute and the cabin was available, or they booked a "guarantee" and that was the cabin they were assigned, or...and this is important...i know.:) i wonder though if ANY line would eject someone....bet they wouldn't even if they said they would!

just because someone doesn't look handicapped doesn't mean they aren't handicapped, and might indeed need at least things like the raised toilet, extra grab bars, a shower with a drop-down shower seat, etc.\

got ya....my mom doesn't LOOK handicapped-she looks like a seasoned citizen (boy will she hurt me! she really doesn't look a day over 39~;))....and that's what she needs...all that other stuff, plus the flat thresholds....and i think it would be 10000% easier to get the WC into a room with a wider door although we've managed on RCCL. on CCL we had to hop out of the chair in the hall......:eek:

I absolutely get angry at folks who deliberately book an HC cabin that don't need one....and of course folks who park in HC spots that don't need them either!...but a certain amount of caution is in order.

I hope you and your mother have a great cruise!

thanks for the sentiments.-i am sure we will have a good time regardless...i guess my point was that someone let all the trolls out over on whatever board that thread was on!:p and i had this overwhelming urge to beat them with a wet noodle!

I don't know where people get the notion that if an able bodied person books an HC cabin, and a person with a need for that cabin calls and tries to book it and they are all filled up, that those persons will be moved. There is absolutely nothing in a booking record that states the person is able bodied. Believe me, I've tried booking HC cabins on many different lines and were told they were all filled and then get on the ship, after having to book a more expensive suite, only to find that more than half of those HC cabins were booked by able bodied persons, months in advance.

So, how can any of you say without a doubt that an able bodied person will be moved? Sorry, but from my experience, it doesn't happen. Like I said, the booking record does not say if the people in those cabins are in actual need of that cabin or are able bodied? So, are you saying that Carnival or RCI or NCL calls all their passengers booked in their HC cabins to find out if they are handicapped? NO FREAKING WAY. When they're booked, they're booked.

I don't know where people get the notion that if an able bodied person books an HC cabin, and a person with a need for that cabin calls and tries to book it and they are all filled up, that those persons will be moved. There is absolutely nothing in a booking record that states the person is able bodied. Believe me, I've tried booking HC cabins on many different lines and were told they were all filled and then get on the ship, after having to book a more expensive suite, only to find that more than half of those HC cabins were booked by able bodied persons, months in advance.

So, how can any of you say without a doubt that an able bodied person will be moved? Sorry, but from my experience, it doesn't happen. Like I said, the booking record does not say if the people in those cabins are in actual need of that cabin or are able bodied? So, are you saying that Carnival or RCI or NCL calls all their passengers booked in their HC cabins to find out if they are handicapped? NO FREAKING WAY. When they're booked, they're booked.

Did you mean to put this on the thread on the other board? I think most of us here agree with you.

Not to mention that even if they did, all they can do is ask if the person needs that cabin. If the person says yes, that's the end of it. It doesn't matter if it's Jack LaLanne, if he says he needs it, it ends there.

Well, it's pretty clear that the original poster is going to go ahead and book the handicap accessible cabin anyway. Lost again.

Sometimes you just make people understand that they are wrong. I believe in Karma and, although I would not wish a disability on anyone, someday this person will want or need something and not be able to get it.

Did you mean to put this on the thread on the other board? I think most of us here agree with you.

Yes, I was venting and I did write all this on the other board, on three posts. But I have heard people on THIS board make the comment that an able bodied person would be moved if someone of need wanted to book an HC cabin. Personally, I don't understand how this could be, as it's been the exact opposite experience for me. I'm wondering, has anyone on this board been unable to cruise because the HC cabins were booked, and have any of you inquired if every one of those cabins were booked by person's actually needing them?

Yes, I was venting and I did write all this on the other board, on three posts. But I have heard people on THIS board make the comment that an able bodied person would be moved if someone of need wanted to book an HC cabin. Personally, I don't understand how this could be, as it's been the exact opposite experience for me. I'm wondering, has anyone on this board been unable to cruise because the HC cabins were booked, and have any of you inquired if every one of those cabins were booked by person's actually needing them?

Yes I have. I had one of four HC cabins assigned to me years ago on the Majesty NCL that is. I booked 9 mo in advance. when it got near cruise time I checked my reservation and found I was in a smallest inside non accessible cabin on the lowest floor.

I called and they applolgized, some snafu but all the four cabins were booked.

we went around for weeks over this and finally I ended up in a Larger inside still unaccessible. when I got on board I made it a point to knock on doors and ask. thee of the four had AB people in them that said these were just the cabins their TA's had booked, didn't know didn't ask about HC.

None of them had been asked to move and there are 21 HC passengers on that ship or should I say 21 in Wheelchairs, the most I have ever seen and only ONE had an HC cabin.

Wow, I just found this thread and boy, am I feeling grateful at the moment! My sister (quadriplegic) will be taking her first cruise (and first vacation in 15 years) this October on RCCL and I was lucky enough (so I've just learned!) to book an HC cabin before they were all taken. And thankfully the Jewel has triple occupany HC's, so she could afford the trip (she needs 2 personal assistants).

From what I can tell so far, RCCL's physical accommodations as well as accessibility services are top-notch (it's one reason we picked them), and I'm hoping to avoid some of the horror stories I've been reading about on this board. It probably helped that this is a "charter" cruise, so ALL booking was by telephone, no online "pick your own cabin" bookings were possible. Not only did I have to lead with "I'm booking for a wheelchair passenger", but the TA had to go through a special process to "unlock" this inventory. Why can't ALL cruise line do this? Seems so SIMPLE!!! It's so easy for someone to lie to a computer, it's almost become a part of our culture. But having to lie to a real person over the phone is much more difficult, at least for some people.

I can't imagine my sister's disappointment if no HC cabins were available while this cruise was being heavily marketed (which it still is only 4 weeks out). But now I will be more aware of whether AB's are in HC cabins (which I bet will be more unlikely on this cruise). I have learned how to be polite and inoffensive while still being crystal clear in communicating the consequences of AB's use of resources that were not intended for them (whether intentional, through indifference or simply inattention). Actually, the severity of my sister's disabilities (in her case quite obvious) usually speak for themselves. I imagine this would be much harder for MS and others whose needs (and presentation) fluctuate so much.

Archived