Here we go again. AB booking HC cabins.

Umbarger

Here's another scenario to consider. I'm disabled but don't need an accessible cabin. That, however, can change overnight with a fall or a bad bump (I have osteonecrosis which has weakened my joints). So I book a non-accessible cabin and then I need an accessible one but there are none available because able bodied people are in them and refuse to move. So I have a choice of cancelling the cruise or trying to make do.

No one is saying leave them empty. What people are asking the cruise lines to do is hold them and don't assign them to able bodied people until the end. I really don't think that's too much to ask especially considering how few of them there are.

Another thing people need to remember is that a person's need for an accessible cabin may not be immediately evident to onlookers. My mother has always booked a regular cabin on river or ocean cruises. She is not wheelchair bound but she is an amputee and has severe arthritis and great difficulty negotiating stairs. For her, a regular cabin means she cannot have a shower or a bath for the entire duration of the cruise and has to rely on sponge baths because without her prosthetic limb, and with her age and arthritis she simply cannot negotiate a regular shower and if she could she would be in grave danger of falling because there are now grab bars. Despite this, she has booked regular cabins, not wanting to take an accessible cabin someone might need. For her next cruise we encouraged her to book an accessible cabin so she could finally shower like the rest of the paying passengers. To onlookers it just appears she needs a cane and has a limp but her disability makes a regular cabin a real problem.

If showering/bathing is the only issue, has your mom considered asking the cruiselines to provide a shower chair for her? I know HAL and RC list them as being available to people in regular cabins. The special needs department can make arrangements to have one in the cabin. I don't know whether other cruiselines also supply them. I would guess they should but I have no experience with them. If your mom has other problems that require the amenities found in accessible cabins or the cruiseline won't provide a shower chair, then there is no reason that she shouldn't use an HC cabin.

It's really bad again, but when the OP came back to post, the tone just leads me to believe that she knows what she's doing is wrong, but in order to cover that feeling, she becomes defensive.

Boy, our world sure has become totally selfish and "me centered" and that makes me sad. It's all about what I want and all else be damned. I know this is wrong, but sometimes I really wish that all those selfish bozos would have to be in a wheelchair at some point in their lives and then they'd change their tune.

I knew when I read that post that the OP was either already booked in the HC cabin or was going to do it no matter what. She was just looking for validation, and she didn't get it, so now she's angry and defensive. She just wants that cabin category and is adamant that she won't go to another category, but yet, she states in her second post that if an able bodied person wants a cabin category that's already sold out, either they change their category or they don't sail. Well, I guess we have her speaking out of both sides of her mouth.

Speaking of handicap rooms, does anyone know if there is an accesible room on the Carnival Pride for 4 people. We requested AR due to mobility issues of 2 of us but they said there are none to accomadate 4! WTH.

I believe you will find that none of the cruise lines permit 4 passengers in an accessible cabin, even the largest. We explored this possibility last year and found none. If you find I am wrong, I think we all might appreciate it if you share what you find.:)

I believe you will find that none of the cruise lines permit 4 passengers in an accessible cabin, even the largest. We explored this possibility last year and found none. If you find I am wrong, I think we all might appreciate it if you share what you find.:)

Category AJ on Norwegian Star is a family accessible suite set up for six, not that I would ever try to cram six people into one, but there is certainly plenty of room for four. Two twins convertible to queen, double sofa, and a Murphy type bed for two.

See floor plan renderings here, under Family Suite (NOT the two bedroom family suite)

http://www2.ncl.com/ship/star/staterooms/1/suite#tab_detail

hahahahah! This thread is getting almost funny, now! Someone is equating being disabled with having 4 children and having to book adjoining cabins! hahahahaha

And I got flamed after simply pointing out that there's no comparison between the two.

I just cannot figure people out; some of the posts on that thread are just mind boggling. :(

Yes, the Emerald Princess has at least 2, C301 & C302 on Caribe deck, and if you check, you'll find more on other decks :D :rolleyes:

Cato

catolga28@shaw.ca

And I got flamed after simply pointing out that there's no comparison between the two.

I just cannot figure people out; some of the posts on that thread are just mind boggling. :(

I can see why they would think they could compare it, since they think both take planning ahead, but they forget that (a) some disabled ppl can't plan that far ahead to cruise and (b) they can still cruise if their cabins aren't connecting or adjoining (with one adult in each cabin if they need be - sure, they might not LIKE being separated at night, but they still have the absolute ability to do it and cruise, unlike somebody full-time in a wheelchair who can't cruise if the cabin isn't fully accessible - or with four in one cabin - again, it might not be their personal choice, but they'd still be fully able to cruise).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Serene56:

. RCCL, Princess and, I believe, NCL do not require any documentation unless you have a special need like oxygen.

**Actually, Royal Caribbean required us to fax in a form as to the diisability, and, in my wife's case, the dimensions of her electric cart, before they would confirm the booking.

Don't use a TA. Call when the Special Needs Dept. is open (M-F, 9 to 5 eastern). Talk with a Carnival PVP who will transfer you to Special Needs and they will assign a H/C cabin to you. I've done this for 12 cruises on Carnival and only once have had a snag (room too small to accommodate the DH's chair). Carnival moved us to the ONE cabin on that small ship that the chair would fit in. As for booking in advance, we sailed to Mexico about 6 times this year so far. The H/C suite is usually available on the Splendor and is a phenomenal choice if you are in a chair. Yes, it costs more but in our opinion was well worth it. I was not tripping over his chair. I had lots of room to assist him in the shower, separate whirlpool tub and a nice area to dress, and more storage space than we could possibly use. We even had our entire table which included another person in a wheelchair to drinks before dinner one night and there was still plenty of room with enough seats for the AB guests. I just booked a similar suite on the Dream for January. I used a TA for our first Carnival cruise and found that a simple name change costs us 500EACH for our guests. If I had gone through Carnival, it would have been 50 each. Just so many reasons to go to the line directly...

Don't use a TA. Call when the Special Needs Dept. is open (M-F, 9 to 5 eastern). Talk with a Carnival PVP who will transfer you to Special Needs and they will assign a H/C cabin to you. I've done this for 12 cruises on Carnival and only once have had a snag (room too small to accommodate the DH's chair). Carnival moved us to the ONE cabin on that small ship that the chair would fit in. As for booking in advance, we sailed to Mexico about 6 times this year so far. The H/C suite is usually available on the Splendor and is a phenomenal choice if you are in a chair. Yes, it costs more but in our opinion was well worth it. I was not tripping over his chair. I had lots of room to assist him in the shower, separate whirlpool tub and a nice area to dress, and more storage space than we could possibly use. We even had our entire table which included another person in a wheelchair to drinks before dinner one night and there was still plenty of room with enough seats for the AB guests. I just booked a similar suite on the Dream for January. I used a TA for our first Carnival cruise and found that a simple name change costs us 500EACH for our guests. If I had gone through Carnival, it would have been 50 each. Just so many reasons to go to the line directly...

To each his own. The TA I know and use doesn't charge name change fee's- they only use what the cruise line's fee is. Also I've gotten a HC from my TA no problem.

Leo and Hugh,

We have talked several times with HAL accessibility desk about this. All we have ever been able to find that accommodates 4 in a handicapped cabin is the suites (SA).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=25434908&posted=1#post25434908

Is this thread really be hijacked? I feel so strongly about this subject sometimes I can't see it.

I posted the thread on page three perhaps you will want to read the whole thread.

My personal opinion: you're overreacting. The thread REALLY is about NCL not being clear about describing what the cabin really looked like. The person wasn't told at the start that it was a HC cabin...and was clear that he didn't intend to book it if he'd known it was...but then when they described it, it sounded as if it was the same as a non-HC cabin..but clearly it isn't.

I'd let it go.

Here is an entry from July 8th, 2010, by "Quampapetet" pertaining to this situation, after contacting my TA, it was confirmed to be in effect by Princess, at least as of the effective date.

July 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM

Quampapetet

Cool Cruiser

Default DOT Making it Harder for Able-Bodied to Book Accessible Cabins!

This is great news!

Check out the new rules, which will go into effect in November:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...00006480b13912

Quote:

Section 39.39 How do PVOs ensure that passengers with disabilities are

able to use accessible cabins?

The Department anticipates that the forthcoming Access Board

guidelines will address the scoping and dimensions of accessible cabins

on new or altered vessels. While this rule consequently does not

require vessels with overnight accommodations to have accessible

cabins, we recognize that cabins identified by PVOs as accessible do

exist on some vessels. This section concerns how PVOs would make sure

that passengers with disabilities actually are able to get those

accessible cabins. The Department recognizes that non-disabled

passengers, understanding that accessible cabins are somewhat more

roomy than other cabins in the same class of service, may sometimes

seek to reserve those cabins, making them unavailable to passengers

with disabilities.

The NPRM proposed a system in which a passenger requesting an

accessible cabin would be required, at the PVO's request, to present

documentation of the physical condition that necessitates use of an

accessible cabin, at which point their reservations would trump even

earlier reservations for an accessible cabin made by non-disabled

passengers, though no passengers would ever be ``bumped'' from the

voyage as a result. Some commenters objected to having to provide

medical documentation. Others said that passengers with disabilities

should be able to book an accessible cabin up to the day of sailing,

while other commenters stated that reservations for accessible cabins

should be made within a set time frame (i.e., 72 hours) before

departure.

In response to comments, the Department is deleting the proposed

requirement that passengers provide documentation of their disability

and revising the reservation requirements. Instead, the final rule

includes what we believe is a simpler system, in which accessible

cabins must be withheld from reservation until all cabins in that class

of service have been reserved. If a passenger with a disability

requests a remaining accessible cabin, then the

[[Page 38885]]

passenger with a disability gets that cabin. However, once all the

other, non-accessible cabins have been booked, the PVO may, if it

chooses, book the cabins for non-disabled passengers.

While the final rule does not require or permit medical

documentation for persons reserving accessible cabins because they have

a disability, PVOs have to ask persons seeking to reserve such a cabin

whether they have a disability that requires use of the accessibility

facilities provided in the cabin. In addition, PVOs may require a

written attestation from the passenger that her or she needs the

accessible features provided in the cabin. These provisions are modeled

on an approach that is sometimes used concerning reserving accessible

seating sports stadiums. PVOs must also investigate the potential

misuse of accessible cabins and can take action against abusers (e.g.,

a PVO may deny transportation to a non-disabled individual who books an

accessible cabin on the basis of a misrepresentation that the

individual has a disability).

The Department recognizes that some existing vessels may not have

accessible cabins in all classes of service. PVOs, however, cannot

properly impose costs on disabled passengers because vessels lack

accessible cabins in some classes of service. If a passenger with a

disability wants to travel in a less costly class of service, rather

than a more expensive class, but the PVO has chosen to make adequate

numbers of accessible cabins available only in more other expensive

classes of service, the PVO must make accessible cabins available to

passengers with disabilities at no more than the cost of the class of

service the passenger requests. Under a nondiscrimination rule,

disabled passengers, like all other passengers, should be able to

purchase accommodations they can use at a price they are willing to

pay.

Also, there are three items they are seeking comment on, including allowing emotional support

dogs (which are pets for ppl with mental disabilities, they are not service dogs and are not trained

to be in public spaces or to do any tasks, it is just their presence that makes the person feel better)

onboard; the treatment of mobility aids that are wheelchairs and other power-driven mobility

devices;

Enjoy your cruising !!

Cato

catolga28@shaw.ca

Passed Cruises !

First cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

Second cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

Third cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

Fourth cruise - Golden Princes, 12 November 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

Fifth & (hopefully Platinum member cruise), Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver -LA

Repositioning .

Sixth cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

Seventh cruise - Crown Princess, 26 Mach 2011, 7 day Western Carribean, LA to LA

Eighth cruise - Emerald Princess, 04 June 2011, 11 day Baltic, Copenhagen to Copenhagen

Here is another one... (picture me, just shaking my head in disgust...)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1251899

So I went to your thread..and confusion still reigns. Doesn't appear that the original poster DID wittingly book a handicap accessible cabin, and the rest of the posters are just chatting about them. What is your concern?

Archived