Here we go again. AB booking HC cabins.

Umbarger

apparently, the mom uses a wheelchair. Not just another AB wanting bigger room.

Frankly, I don't believe him at all. I think he came up with that when he read our criticisms on the thread. Read his first entry .. no mention of ANY sort of reason for wanting this cabin EXCEPT "the huge floor space". That's his real reason for booking, imo.

Frankly, I don't believe him at all. I think he came up with that when he read our criticisms on the thread. Read his first entry .. no mention of ANY sort of reason for wanting this cabin EXCEPT "the huge floor space". That's his real reason for booking, imo.

Though I gave him the benifit of the doubt in my second reply, I'm in agreement with Uppitycats that he probably doesn't need an accessible cabin and booked it solely for being larger. Reason being if you look at all his previous postings, the assumption can be made that he's a well experienced traveler. For this very reason he should have already known not to book a cabin with a tub for his 90 year old disabled mother when the original cabin selection was made.

Further more he stated " I would think someone that had to have this cabin would have booked it already. Should cruiselines set a date when these cabins are released (perhaps they already do?) for general sale, or should they keep them open until sailing 'just in case " This is an odd statement to make if he really needs the cabin for his disabled mother ? Most needing an accessible cabin this close to sailing would simply state how lucky it was that one was available.

Oh well, he's going to do what he wants to do.

Yes, he is going to do what he decided to do long before some of us jumped in on that thread.

As my late mother-in-law used to stay 'may he always be well'.

Something similar in the South-- We say:

Well, bless your heart.:)

Though I gave him the benifit of the doubt in my second reply, I'm in agreement with Uppitycats that he probably doesn't need an accessible cabin and booked it solely for being larger. Reason being if you look at all his previous postings, the assumption can be made that he's a well experienced traveler. For this very reason he should have already known not to book a cabin with a tub for his 90 year old disabled mother when the original cabin selection was made.

Some may not know that booking sooo far in advance is usually needed to get a good HC cabin. The first time we had to book HC, did it 3 months before cruise. Got lucky, and TA was able to find us a cabin.

I am recovering from major spine surgery and require a walker and sometimes a wheelchair for longer distances. I inquired about booking a HC cabin and was told I'd have to provide proof of need and a note from my dr. I could have done both but decided to leave the HC cabin for someone completely wheelchair bound. Having experienced what it's like to be even partially disabled, I would never take a handicapped parking space, restroom stall or cabin on a ship from a truly handicapped person.

I am recovering from major spine surgery and require a walker and sometimes a wheelchair for longer distances. I inquired about booking a HC cabin and was told I'd have to provide proof of need and a note from my dr. I could have done both but decided to leave the HC cabin for someone completely wheelchair bound. Having experienced what it's like to be even partially disabled, I would never take a handicapped parking space, restroom stall or cabin on a ship from a truly handicapped person.

You certainly would have well qualified for a handicap-accessible cabin! They really aren't just for people who are "wheelchair bound", but for anyone -- like yourself -- with mobility problems. Getting the note from your doctor wouldn't have been that difficult, I don't think. But thank you very much for your consideration!

Some of us need some of the HC facilities long after we've healed up. I don't need the parking space or the HC stateroom on a ship, but I surely do appreciate the safety factor of having an HC restroom facility.

After you are healed (and be grateful that you are!) be wise and use what facilities will help you to stay fit and healthy.

Do I understand the ablebodied person wanting to be in a cabin that is larger, more comfortable with easy access [for the same price as his more cramped quarters]........you bet. Do I think it's right to take this cabin when the gentleman down the hall, who's in need of a wheelchair can not enter the door of his cabin because his wheelchair doesn't fit through the door and even if it did he wouldn't be able to enter the bathroom with it because of the step-up....no way!

All that said there will ALWAYS be the folks who think they're entitled. It won't make a bit a difference how many of us tell them that they're wrong, both in their thinking and in their deed.

It's the way life is.........UNFAIR!

It's why I book my cabins at least 7-12 months in advance. If I find a cruise that I just can't resist and I must go sooner.....then I take a risk of not getting the cabin that best suits my wheelchair and my Service Dog. We're quite a sight in a regular cabin.......if that's all we can get, it will NEVER be a deal-breaker. We'll make it work and enjoy every minute of it!!!!!

Thank you to all of you who show great care and concern about the abilities of EVERYONE!

Archived