Chocolate-covered strawberry perk

2 hours ago, Giveitatry2023 said:

We leave in a few days for our first cruise with extended family. They are big cruisers. I’m pretty apprehensive. Seeing posts like these make me pretty certain that the passengers will not be my people. 

This level of entitlement in this post is so next level that I don’t even know what to make of it. 

i really hope we luck out and get a ship full of chill go with the flow travellers, instead of this. 

dude - I felt EXACTLY the same before I first fruise, and now I’m hooked. I’ve hardly done any non-cruise vacations since. You’re going to love it. There’s so much to do and keep busy. Don’t worry not everyone on board is a princess 

1 hour ago, wacruiselover said:

So much to learn before cruising. You can get them from your local US bank. From Wikipedia:

The United States two-dollar bill is a current denomination of United States currency. A portrait of Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, is featured on the obverse of the note. The reverse features an engraving of the circa 1818 painting Declaration of Independence by John Trumbull.

I am Canadian. We had real $2 bills until about 30 years ago at which point they went the way of the $1 bill, into a coin as they should be. 

but a FYI on travel in general not related to cruises if you have to special order $2.00 bills it’s incredibly likely whoever your tipping isn’t able to actually use or exchange them wherever they go.  Banks and current exchanges only take common denominaton good quality bills. Paying in local currency is always the most considerate thing you can do when travelling. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

dude - I felt EXACTLY the same before I first fruise, and now I’m hooked. I’ve hardly done any non-cruise vacations since. You’re going to love it. There’s so much to do and keep busy. Don’t worry not everyone on board is a princess 

Thanks for the encouragement! I tend to get pretty frustrated having a schedule when on vacation so I’m not super hopeful, but we’ll give it a go and if all else fails, I pulled the trigger on the premium drink package so I wouldn’t be annoyed about my wine choices and have unlimited lattes to recover from said wine choices. 

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Some people think using $2 bills for tips is cool. 

FYI -I'm currently the owner of a $2 bill because I agreed to buy it from a bartender in Buenos Aires - his bank refused it.

I always use the local currency for quite a few reasons but the biggest being that I don’t need to create an exchange nightmare for someone. Always amazed by people who tip in coins of a different currency that they are in. No one receiving them can do anything besides use them as paperweight. This is why everyone has a travel bucket of random coins from various countries that will never be spent. 

20 minutes ago, Giveitatry2023 said:

I am Canadian. We had real $2 bills until about 30 years ago at which point they went the way of the $1 bill, into a coin as they should be. 

but a FYI on travel in general not related to cruises if you have to special order $2.00 bills it’s incredibly likely whoever your tipping isn’t able to actually use or exchange them wherever they go.  Banks and current exchanges only take common denominaton good quality bills. Paying in local currency is always the most considerate thing you can do when travelling. 

Sorry that you might not have seen the 🤪 and recognized that I was pulling your leg. There have been some very long threads on both $2 bills for tipping and people using ZipLoc bags to transport food back to their rooms. Incredible how fervent (heated) some of the discussions get. It is kind of refreshing that the most important things in their life are easily ignored by those of us who just want to cruise and have fun.

So my advice is have a wonderful cruise, take unwanted criticism with a grain of salt, and oh... did I say have a wonderful cruise? This April will be our 4th cruise and I have loved every one! I'm sure you will too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, julig22 said:

Some people think using $2 bills for tips is cool. 

FYI -I'm currently the owner of a $2 bill because I agreed to buy it from a bartender in Buenos Aires - his bank refused it.

DH carries one that he was given and says it's for good luck.  I tell him to use it to buy a lottery ticket and we will see how lucky it is!

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:51 PM, marktwothousand said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think they need do chop the tops (leaves/stems) off these strawberries?

When I'm eating strawberries that I buy in the supermarket, I do this but I don't think I've ever seen it otherwise.

In summer I go to the farm about half a mile away and pick my own. When picking I am cautious to keep the stalk and leaves intact. This keeps them fresh for a few days. When I use them I remove stalk and leaves with a strawberry huller.

On board a ship I use the stalk to hold the strawberry in my fingers and minimizing touch of the berry and the chocolate while I nibble it. I woulds never want a stawberry with no stalk and the top cut off.

Edited by mypleasure
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Let Me guess: you types that eat strawberries while holding the stem…you’re the same types who eat chicken wings with their fingers, aren’t ya!!?

Why do you need fingers? Just face plant in that basket of wings and devour! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of nerdy things about chocolate covered strawberries. 1) Once the stem is pulled or a cut is made it will leak out its juice making it a sticky mess to eat.  2) You cannot put them into the frig, the same thing will happen, it will leak juices.  Once they are made they are intended to be eaten within a day.