Tunisian Brik

the_dylaness

Very specific question... has anyone ever ordered this MDR item?

I have always wanted to try this dish (in general not specific to X)- it was available on our Reflection cruise the past summer but only said it contained "seafood"- however, I cannot eat mussels.  (Not a preference or a dislike- I love them actually- but I have a food protein enteropathy specific to ONLY this shellfish. I just explain this as an "allergy" in restaurants because it is WAY too complicated.)  I won't die or experience anaphylaxis if I eat them but it is a very, very unpleasant experience which I would like to never, ever have again.  When I asked the m'd about this on the last cruise he (understandably) waffled a little bit and said he couldn't be sure, he wasn't certain, etc.  I think he was also worried about other shellfish which might be in the item and so of course he advised against it.  I can eat clams, oysters, etc until the cows come home without any issue.

Has anyone eaten this specific item and if so do you recall if it contained mussels?

For those who are interested in learning more about FPIES: https://aacijournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13223-020-00497-z

Thank you in advance!

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2023 at 9:34 PM, the_dylaness said:

When I asked the m'd about this on the last cruise he (understandably) waffled a little bit and said he couldn't be sure, he wasn't certain, etc.  

OK, this makes me VERY nervous about Celebrity for future cruises (I'll just have to stick to things i know are safe on my July 16 cruise) being gluten-free and peanut-allergic. It's not the fact that the maitre'd "waffled" because they didn't know but the fact that they would not take the time to go to the chef to find out. Allergies are serious, and when dealing with new-to-me foods, I count on my server or maitre'd to either know the allergens or go to the source to find out.

I'd thought that my experience on Edge in 2020 when the incorrect pork dish was brought (there were 2 - one was safe for me, one was not - luckily I saw the breading before I took a bite) was a one-off. But reading this and another poster's experience on Reflection with an allergen in a dish... I'm getting very nervous.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

OK, this makes me VERY nervous about Celebrity for future cruises (I'll just have to stick to things i know are safe on my July 16 cruise) being gluten-free and peanut-allergic. It's not the fact that the maitre'd "waffled" because they didn't know but the fact that they would not take the time to go to the chef to find out. Allergies are serious, and when dealing with new-to-me foods, I count on my server or maitre'd to either know the allergens or go to the source to find out.

I'd thought that my experience on Edge in 2020 when the incorrect pork dish was brought (there were 2 - one was safe for me, one was not - luckily I saw the breading before I took a bite) was a one-off. But reading this and another poster's experience on Reflection with an allergen in a dish... I'm getting very nervous.

Just a heads up. I don't know about X and gluten-free. However, there's a post on the DISboards DCL forum about how terrible their son's celiac experience was on NCL. Sorry, I recognized your avatar from that forum. Hopefully, your cruise will go off without any food hitches.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I am allergic to shellfish. This is a true allergy - anaphylaxis. I’ve never had a problem on our 15+ Celebrity cruises. I always remind the servers plus put it in my pre-cruise information. I am also diligent on land and at sea. If I don’t feel comfortable ordering something, I don’t. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soniam said:

Just a heads up. I don't know about X and gluten-free. However, there's a post on the DISboards DCL forum about how terrible their son's celiac experience was on NCL. Sorry, I recognized your avatar from that forum. Hopefully, your cruise will go off without any food hitches.

Thanks. NCL is one I've considered, but always hesitated on. Seems like it's a good thing I have. I'm not celiac, but have a wheat allergy (thankfully non-ana), so gluten-free is just the easiest way to get "wheat free"

• Like 1

Celebrity takes food allergies very seriously and are very accommodating.  My husband is celiac and has never been sick on a cruise.  He looks at the menu the night before and is able to order certain dishes gluten-free.  I wonder if it would be possible for  you to order this ahead of time and specify "no mussels"?  Although they might still be leery because, is it the actual mussel that causes a problem?  Or what if mussel juice somehow got in there, would that make you sick?  Like I said, they take this seriously and usually err on the side of caution.

• Like 1