Excursion choice: Playa Mia Grand Beach Break vs Chankanaab

cvasto

I have actually done both of these beaches with my kids (12 and 9). I will give you my thoughts on both

Playa Mia- 

we booked this one through RCCL.  The kids enjoyed the inflatables/ trampolines.  The beach drops off into the water quickly, so not much shallow area, if that matters.  There is a water slide, that the kids did a couple of times, but nothing to write home about.  We had to pay for food separately and ordered a sampler that had fajitas, quesadillas, beans and rice, and it was fantastic. 

Chankanaab-

Booked this one through shore excursioneer.  We had no problem getting a taxi from the port to the resort.  The sealion show, was okay, but I only understood half of what the announcer said.  The package we bought had snorkeling and lunch included.  Most of the beach is stair access, except for the lagoon area, which got really busy later in the day.  The food that came with our package was pork fajitas, and was awesome.  The snorkeling was fun, they have statues sunk that you can checkout.  

Both are decent choices

Edited by hachieashley

We did the Manatee Encounter at Chankanaab and absolutely loved it.  You get to feed them, touch them and swim with them.  Unlike the dolphins, they really seemed to enjoy interacting with people.  After that we went over to the snorkel area and snorkeled for awhile and ordered some snacks.  Great day.  Booked online through Dolphin Discovery and it included admission to the park.

Both places are good.  You can book Playa Mia through the ship or not, with and without various options like food and drink.  Check their website.  Sand gentle beach and a few statues on the bottom if you snorkel (can buy a trip out to Palancar Reef as an add-on.  Water climbing structures available.  Nice pool near kids area, plus a second near food.  Slides hurt my back so only rode once.  You can book with transportation but cheaper to take a cab (especially if you have other folks wanting to go at the same time - fixed cost/cab).

Chankanaab can also be done either through ship or not.  Or buy dolphin/manatee activity through Dolphin Discovery and get free admission.  Fair snorkeling and some statues on bottom but off of rocky stairs - difficult entry if waves are running.  Tiny kids beach and small free pool near dolphins.  A few trails to explore and free sea lion show.

Advantages to booking direct are cheaper and can leave when you want rather than on excursion schedule.  Dolphins quite a bit cheaper this way at Chankanaab (especially Royal Swim with two dolphins).  We have done both at both places so generally depends for us on what we want to do and price.

If you want beach/pool and drinks, Playa Mia.  Dolphins/snorkeling, Chankanaab.

We have done both. We like both of them for different reason. 

Chankanaab is a park and has different things to do such as hanging out at the "beach", which doesn't go straight into the water, but has steps if you want to do snorkeling. There is a small cove area that you can walk right into the water for swimming. They have a sea lion show (free) or the different "swims" you can do with dolphins or manatees. They have a replica ruins area to walk around and see things. They have a zip line (extra...if it's open now) and you can also do the SeaTrek or Snuba there (extra cost). But it's very beautiful there with a large lagoon (not for swimming) and has many iguana's walking around. We've been there a few times HERE and HERE and our dolphin swim HERE.

Playa Mia is also very large with a huge nice beach and plenty of palm trees, water toys (extra cost), large swimming pool, water slides and we had a great day there as well. HERE  They also have water trikes and kayaks among other things (of course extra cost). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, mitsugirly said:

We have done both. We like both of them for different reason. 

Chankanaab is a park and has different things to do such as hanging out at the "beach", which doesn't go straight into the water, but has steps if you want to do snorkeling. There is a small cove area that you can walk right into the water for swimming. They have a sea lion show (free) or the different "swims" you can do with dolphins or manatees. They have a replica ruins area to walk around and see things. They have a zip line (extra...if it's open now) and you can also do the SeaTrek or Snuba there (extra cost). But it's very beautiful there with a large lagoon (not for swimming) and has many iguana's walking around. We've been there a few times HERE and HERE and our dolphin swim HERE.

Playa Mia is also very large with a huge nice beach and plenty of palm trees, water toys (extra cost), large swimming pool, water slides and we had a great day there as well. HERE  They also have water trikes and kayaks among other things (of course extra cost). 

I love reading your travel experiences.  Thank you for sharing with all of us.

My children are all over 20, but my nephews are 7, 12 and 14, and we are all (plus many more adult family members) heading out on a cruise together this summer.   For those three younger ones, Chankanaab or Playa Mia?  They aren't really "beach" kids, so it's not like they will have much interest in building sand castles.  Realistically, the 14 year old is a moody about-to-be high schooler and won't like anything.  The other two are full of energy and will like anything.  I'm leaning toward recommending Chankanaab, since there seem to be lots of add-on options if people are interested.  (The 12 year old and his mother LOVE zip-lining, for example.)

On 4/3/2023 at 10:26 AM, MississippiMom said:

I love reading your travel experiences.  Thank you for sharing with all of us.

My children are all over 20, but my nephews are 7, 12 and 14, and we are all (plus many more adult family members) heading out on a cruise together this summer.   For those three younger ones, Chankanaab or Playa Mia?  They aren't really "beach" kids, so it's not like they will have much interest in building sand castles.  Realistically, the 14 year old is a moody about-to-be high schooler and won't like anything.  The other two are full of energy and will like anything.  I'm leaning toward recommending Chankanaab, since there seem to be lots of add-on options if people are interested.  (The 12 year old and his mother LOVE zip-lining, for example.)

Why not try something more adventurous and do the dune buggies to Jade Caverns? It's a lot of fun driving them and going to the caverns and jumping into them. It's something different than just going to a beach and we had a blast. Check them out on my review and see if maybe they'd prefer something like that. HERE   Just a thought

• Thanks 1