Irish Stars Cruise?

hop2it

Anybody have experience or knowledge of "Cooney Irish Stars Cruise," which apparently assembles large groups on Princess. Just found out the cruise we booked (Feb. 2024) is one of these. Googled it and still don't understand what it's all about. I get the impression that a certain group of entertainers dominate the events and that several hundred party guests swarm as at a convention. If this is anywhere close to reality, prospective cruisers should be warned in advance, and count us out.

They were on my January cruise on the Regal.  Except for the dining rooms and having to teach a lot of them how to use the slots, they weren't really noticible.  As for dining, it was horrific.  Only one dining room was open until 7:45 so even if you had a reservation, you were in line forever and the service was terrible.  After 2 nights, we just decided to go to one of the dining rooms that was closed until 7:45...went at 8 pm.  Walked right in and got great service.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hop2it said:

Anybody have experience or knowledge of "Cooney Irish Stars Cruise," which apparently assembles large groups on Princess. Just found out the cruise we booked (Feb. 2024) is one of these. Googled it and still don't understand what it's all about. I get the impression that a certain group of entertainers dominate the events and that several hundred party guests swarm as at a convention. If this is anywhere close to reality, prospective cruisers should be warned in advance, and count us out.

This looks like a partial charter, where a group controls some of the cabins and takes control of some of the cruise's rooms (like the dining rooms and/or theaters) for some of the time.

I've heard that cruise lines (not just Princess) are very poor at disclosing these. I'm sympathetic to your point that they should.

1 hour ago, suekel said:

They were on my January cruise on the Regal.  Except for the dining rooms and having to teach a lot of them how to use the slots, they weren't really noticible.  

I find this point funny, because I think I could teach any 3-year-old how to play the slots. It's basically

1. Insert money,

2. Hit the big button on the right,

3. Repeat #2 above until out of money 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hop2it said:

We were aboard this year's cruise.. unless you knew they were aboard, you wouldn't have really noticed. 

They had lots of private events, but in lounges or the theater at times that they wouldn't have been in use anyways. And a late night atrium party, 11pm-2am (and then were up way later than that also)

We enjoyed a Celtic vow renewal at 4am for a couple that had been married 50+ years, loved the bands that played the atrium late night, lots of friendly folks, etc.

Yes, they had 1.5 dining rooms locked up until 7:45 each night (CC was the other half, not affected). 

We had a great time aboard, and were not part of the group. Didn't affect our cruising enjoyment at all (and we dine late anyways, so no affect on us in that regard).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1