Azamara Journey Sept 2023

Travellingbeaver

We are doing a b2b departing Lisbon 19 Sept, through civitavecchia and on to Choggia disembarking 7 Oct.

wondering if anyone else is doing the same and if so, how you might be planning to spend the day in Civitavecchia. We would love to spend the day in Rome but because it is a changeover port, there doesn’t seem to be any excursion plans for people doing b2b cruise through here. 

2 hours ago, Travellingbeaver said:

We are doing a b2b departing Lisbon 19 Sept, through civitavecchia and on to Choggia disembarking 7 Oct.

wondering if anyone else is doing the same and if so, how you might be planning to spend the day in Civitavecchia. We would love to spend the day in Rome but because it is a changeover port, there doesn’t seem to be any excursion plans for people doing b2b cruise through here. 

Did you check the roll call for that cruise to see if anyone has organized an excursion that day? We’ve taken a train to Rome from Civitavecchia on a previous cruise and were able to see quite a bit before taking the train back.

• Like 1

Thank you for your comments. Yes I did check and there was no existing roll call for that particular cruise (either the incoming cruise or the outgoing!). I will probably do as you suggest and take the train if there are no excursion options. Just a little worried about making it back to port on time for the sailing which is at 5pm.

23 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Rome is 2 hours away by bus so not much time there. I'm on a cruise before you and found tarquinia-tuscania-shore-excursion . Rome is great but just a few hours doesn't leave time to see much. 

We did this in 2019 as an MSC ship excursion – it was very interesting and a much better use of the port time than the long trip to/from Rome.  [But then, we have spent many days in Rome.  It's hard to tell someone who's never been there to skip it as even a day can give you the highlights, which are very high indeed.]

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We did this in 2019 as an MSC ship excursion – it was very interesting and a much better use of the port time than the long trip to/from Rome.  [But then, we have spent many days in Rome.  It's hard to tell someone who's never been there to skip it as even a day can give you the highlights, which are very high indeed.]

Totally agree with you. Rome deserves several days to even scratch the surface. I have taken many long rides to see a tiny taste of a city. If you don’t think you would be back a drive by the many ruins is a must. If you want to experience a location you have to get off the bus. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your advice. This is great. We have been to Rome before and spent a few days there.  So maybe this time, we will look around Tarquinia, Ceri, Tuscania. I remember seeing the Etruscan tombs as a kid some 50 years ago. Would be great to revisit. I think my next visit to Rome will be for a few weeks. There is so much to see and experience…… 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Rome is 2 hours away by bus so not much time there. I'm on a cruise before you and found tarquinia-tuscania-shore-excursion . Rome is great but just a few hours doesn't leave time to see much. 

Interesting-the link takes you to a page that looks exactly like the Spain Day Tours website. I wonder if the companies are related. I’m going to see what they offer for our ports in October because I’ve seen enough of Rome and Florence for awhile.

We are also on the b2b from Lisbon to Venice.  As we have been to Rome before, we won’t be going into Rome, but haven’t decide what we will do instead.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BTO said:

We are also on the b2b from Lisbon to Venice.  As we have been to Rome before, we won’t be going into Rome, but haven’t decide what we will do instead.  

Tarquinius is well worth a visit. There’s a bus that goes there from  Civitavechia.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your feedback. As we have been to Rome before, we have decided not do so this time around and instead will do a tour of Tarquinia & Tuscania. Thanks @Grandma Cruising for the tip! I found a very relevant small group excursion  tour at  www.ItalyTours.EU and we have registered for this. It is called Best of Tarquinia & Tuscania and will be a really good day trip exploring the Etruscan museum and necropolis as well as the ancient city of Tuscania. It is quite close to Civitavecchia which is convenient given the early ship departure (5pm). @BTO - this might be appealing to you as well.

Regards

• Like 2