Drink Package Questions

Hi everyone,

For an upcoming 3 night cruise on the Freedom of the Seas, the drink package is showing as $89.99/day pp, and it states 20% cheaper than onboard pricing.

Is this actually accurate.  It not only seems high for pre-cruise discounted pricing, but I can’t recall the drink package being over $100 pp / day onboard.

Also if one person in a room doesn’t drink alcohol, how would we go about purchasing the drink package just for one person either pre-cruise or once onboard?

Thank you.

I have been on Freedom multiple times over the past six months. The deluxe drink package has been around $105 if you buy it on the ship. They usually have a discount similar to buy one, get the second one any where from 30-50 percent off. There are flyers at most bars on embarkation day showing the current price. Unfortunately it is getting more and more difficult to buy the deluxe drink package in the low $70s per day, especially on the shorter weekend cruises on Freedom from Port Miami and Independence from Port Canaveral.  

6 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Thanks.

Does anyone else have any insight on onboard pricing vs the pre cruise "discounted" pricing at $89.99?  And if we can purchase for just one onboard if only one in the cabin drinks?

Pre-cruise is always cheaper - as stated to only purchase one you'd need to call in and purchase 1 DBP and 1 refreshment package.  On board they may waive the refreshment package requirement but you may waste more time trying to explain you just need 1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShillyShally said:

Pre-cruise is always cheaper - as stated to only purchase one you'd need to call in and purchase 1 DBP and 1 refreshment package.  On board they may waive the refreshment package requirement but you may waste more time trying to explain you just need 1.

Doubtful they'll waive the refreshment package requirement for the 2nd person. I have always had to buy the refreshment package for my wife after explaining that she does not drink.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Thanks.

Does anyone else have any insight on onboard pricing vs the pre cruise "discounted" pricing at $89.99?  And if we can purchase for just one onboard if only one in the cabin drinks?

Last month the bars were selling it at a discount on the 1st night only.  I think it was 101PP + 18%, and the 1st night discount was 1st one at full price and 2nd at half off.  That would average $75.75pp or $89.39pp incl grats.  The morning of the 2nd day, the discount sign was gone and they only sold full price. 

RCL website reads: The Deluxe Beverage Package policy requires all guests wishing to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package to do so for ALL guests of legal drinking age in the same stateroom.

Edited by mitz18
spelling

12 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been on Freedom multiple times over the past six months. The deluxe drink package has been around $105 if you buy it on the ship. They usually have a discount similar to buy one, get the second one any where from 30-50 percent off. There are flyers at most bars on embarkation day showing the current price. Unfortunately it is getting more and more difficult to buy the deluxe drink package in the low $70s per day, especially on the shorter weekend cruises on Freedom from Port Miami and Independence from Port Canaveral.  

We are new to Royal and have not booked but do they run a 30-50% off for the 2nd person before the cruise or is that just onboard?

12 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

We are new to Royal and have not booked but do they run a 30-50% off for the 2nd person before the cruise or is that just onboard?

RCI always has some kind of sale on their website. When looking to buy anything on their website, including the deluxe drink package, the key is to pay attention to the current cost of the package. I never pay attention to sales like buy one get one 50% off, because the “full” price is constantly changing. I only look to see how much the package would cost me if I bought it that day. They almost always offer a discount on the ship, but the base price of the package is usually around $105-$110 per person per day. I have never seen the deluxe drink package offered for less on a ship than what I paid for it ahead of time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

RCI always has some kind of sale on their website. When looking to buy anything on their website, including the deluxe drink package, the key is to pay attention to the current cost of the package. I never pay attention to sales like buy one get one 50% off, because the “full” price is constantly changing. I only look to see how much the package would cost me if I bought it that day. They almost always offer a discount on the ship, but the base price of the package is usually around $105-$110 per person per day. I have never seen the deluxe drink package offered for less on a ship than what I paid for it ahead of time. 

I appreciate that info.  I'm getting ready to switch from an NCL cruise to the Icon tomorrow so I'll be able to see pricing hopefully for that.  I've heard some people have had success in only buying 1 drink package for the room.  My wife is on some important meds and alcohol interferes with them.  She can drink 1 maybe 2 a day.  My hope is being able to call them to buy a package for me and we would purchase her drinks.  Not trying to go against rules by sharing either.

Just now, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I appreciate that info.  I'm getting ready to switch from an NCL cruise to the Icon tomorrow so I'll be able to see pricing hopefully for that.  I've heard some people have had success in only buying 1 drink package for the room.  My wife is on some important meds and alcohol interferes with them.  She can drink 1 maybe 2 a day.  My hope is being able to call them to buy a package for me and we would purchase her drinks.  Not trying to go against rules by sharing either.

Normally in a situation like yours they will allow only you to buy the deluxe drink package but your wife will have to buy the refreshment package. Also, you have to call RCI to do it this way. You can’t do this on the website. 

• Like 1