HAL "Have It All"

BostonBoy2

30 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

The other complication is if you receive onboard credit (OBC) from your TA or HAL you use it or lose it and can’t use it for HIA. Example:we get $350 on a 7 day cruise OBC. We can use that to buy the internet, drinks or anything else but if we buy HIA and don’t spend that OBC money it’s not refundable. Basically you lose the value of that perk or you are paying for HIA items you would get for “free” through OBC anyway. 

There are so many other items you can use OBC for. For example, we use it for unlimited laundry, Specialty Dining (Canaletto, Rudi's, additional Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill) that's not included in the HIA, upgrades on the menus, flowers, etc. If there is any left at the end of the cruise, DH might purchase some liquor

5 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

There are so many other items you can use OBC for. For example, we use it for unlimited laundry, Specialty Dining (Canaletto, Rudi's, additional Tamarind and Pinnacle Grill) that's not included in the HIA, upgrades on the menus, flowers, etc. If there is any left at the end of the cruise, DH might purchase some liquor

Again, it’s different for different people. We’re 5* so get 4 nights free in the specialty restaurants, free unlimited laundry and 50% off additional specialty dinners, coffees and wine packages. For high loyalty mariners the value of HIA decreases exponentially. We also often book under the prepaid gratuity program. While we can always find excuses to spend money I would rather use OBC in the most productive way possible. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

3 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

Again, it’s different for different people. We’re 5* so get 4 nights free in the specialty restaurants, free unlimited laundry and 50% off coffees and wine packages. For high loyalty mariners the value of HIA decreases exponentially. 

I'm a 5 star and I really don't drink that much.  It still works ok for me.  

7 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I will have $400 OBC on a cruise I booked with the Early Booking HIA that includes crew appreciation. I don't know what I will spend the OBC on. Volendam doesn't have Tamarind, and I've already got 2 special dinners as part of HIA. I might wait and book a few tours on board, but if there's a tour I definitely want, I will book that before the cruise. I get the 4* laundry benefit. 

I rarely find anything in the ship that I want, and certainly not at that level. Maybe I'll send myself flowers.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm a 5 star and I really don't drink that much.  It still works ok for me.  

I guess my point is there’s no correct answer to the question. Pointing out the various plusses and minuses lets everyone come to their own conclusion. 

For me it isn’t a great option but everyone has a different opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

I guess my point is there’s no correct answer to the question. Pointing out the various plusses and minuses lets everyone come to their own conclusion. 

Yes, absolutely.

2 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

You got it.  I always put the pencil to these offers and more often than not I'm better off going a la carte and using any TA OBCs to cover tips and so forth.  A wee dram or two in the evening is about my limit alcohol limit and I get by just fine with tea or water the rest of the time.

Edited by SargassoPirate