Complete Trivia about Trivia

chrism23

This isn't a troll even though I will once again get trashed.  I am an avid trivia player. On my last voyage on the Moon any rules governing trivia went out the window.  This wasn't the Cruise Directors, Raphael's fault, he is the best.  But rather the fault of the pax.  On everyone of my now 9 cruises there were limits to the size of the trivia teams, usually 6, sometimes as many as 8.  This time, teams were allowed to have as many as 16 members.  Most were 10-14.  This was grossly unfair.  Rather than subject myself to more abuse I didn't say anything.  Also, there was a lot of team switching based on teams being good or bad.  I remarked to someone this was rude and I got an earful,  I hate to say this, but guidelines need to be established and adhered to.  Sorry, but I just had to ***** about this,  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

This isn't a troll even though I will once again get trashed.  I am an avid trivia player. On my last voyage on the Moon any rules governing trivia went out the window.  This wasn't the Cruise Directors, Raphael's fault, he is the best.  But rather the fault of the pax.  On everyone of my now 9 cruises there were limits to the size of the trivia teams, usually 6, sometimes as many as 8.  This time, teams were allowed to have as many as 16 members.  Most were 10-14.  This was grossly unfair.  Rather than subject myself to more abuse I didn't say anything.  Also, there was a lot of team switching based on teams being good or bad.  I remarked to someone this was rude and I got an earful,  I hate to say this, but guidelines need to be established and adhered to.  Sorry, but I just had to ***** about this,  

Yes,it's hard when you lose isn't it?

• Haha 3

Hi Chris,

Glad you survived the potentially difficult embarkation in Peru.

I'm interested and a bit anxious about this as I embark on the Moon next Thursday for 22 days and am also an avid trivia player who will get seriously gribbled if there isn't a level playing field. 

And rather than comment and be insulted, a written complaint to the CD and HD will be my route.

But here's hoping it'll all be wonderful and no complaints will be needed!

PS I do believe it is the fault of the CD if he doesn't set and enforce reasonable rules, although I understand he wouldn't want to upset some pax. But if he's upsetting other pax he's not doing his job properly. Most CDs do manage to deal with this issue adequately.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

We don't do trivia but tried it out one time on the Spirit. On one team of 8 a woman was "reading" her ipad then would surreptitiously type on it after certain questions. A few seconds later and she would angle the screen towards a team member. Would you believe it - they got every question correct! 

Sometime you just have to wonder at the mentality of people. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

We don't do trivia but tried it out one time on the Spirit. On one team of 8 a woman was "reading" her ipad then would surreptitiously type on it after certain questions. A few seconds later and she would angle the screen towards a team member. Would you believe it - they got every question correct! 

Sometime you just have to wonder at the mentality of people. 

That's why I gave up doing the morning quiz - I saw too many pax just googling the answers.

Most CDs are aware of the phone/iPad issue in trivia and make it very clear that they are not to be used - it's generally policed by the other players because usually the majority of pax want fair play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Yes,it's hard when you lose isn't it?

Sorry but I just have to do this, I rarely lose.  On the Silver Cloud in July I teamed with a polymath and we won 10 out of 11.  On this last trip I had 2 very smart Brits on my team, especially David and we won 5 of 7 until they got off.  Then it was all down hill,  And BTW, Ms. Jolly Jones is the best trivia player among Silversea regulars,    

• Like 2

I was on the Moon until Monday this week and took part to all the trivia sessions. I was part of a team of 6, sometimes 7 but we still managed to win twice and being in top 3 twice more … it was genuine good fun and despite the fact that I would agree with you on the variable size of the groups, it didn’t bother me too much and we had a lot of fun and met amazing people. 

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

I did find trivia much more competitive and less pleasant on Silversea than on Seabourn.

I would think a hardcore trivia player would welcome the competition and it would make it more pleasant for them.  But if the competition is unfair and stacked against them then it’s understandable and I would definitely discuss with the CD.

I have noticed that, since the post-covid restart, a lot of the cruise directors are sharing the same trivia questions.  So, if you have been on more than one cruise since July 2021, you may know a lot more  answers than someone who has not been on a SS cruise for a while simply because you have heard the questions before.   Example:  brass is a combination of copper and which other metal?   

3 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

I have noticed that, since the post-covid restart, a lot of the cruise directors are sharing the same trivia questions.  So, if you have been on more than one cruise since July 2021, you may know a lot more  answers than someone who has not been on a SS cruise for a while simply because you have heard the questions before.   Example:  brass is a combination of copper and which other metal?   

Saxophone? 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Breadsticks

Love playing Trivia as long as there are simple enforced rules to keep the game fair. How big a deal is it to have a strict limit on team numbers? On The Moon last Christmas/New Years cruise there were huge sized teams playing against four person’s teams…..mine…although we did amazingly well…because of one star player…it was very annoying to play against teams of as many as 14 players.

Fingers crossed that the CD on my upcoming Muse cruise around Japan will do his/her job and run fair and fun Trivia games!

• Like 1

Totally agree CruisinPashmina  !!   We love playing Trivia too -  but it is crazy  if a team of 4 or 6   is up  against one of 14 !!    We love  Miss Vicki as CD -   she can  keep  things under control  and fair.

We will  see how we go  on the Moon !!