Getting on/off ship where itinerary involves other new passengers embarking and others disembarking

marymount

This may be a silly question, but since never having experienced this situation, I have to ask. ( and don’t see any posts regarding)

We will be on a 21 day Med cruise r/t Rome with a stop in Athens and another in Barcelona whereby new or existing passengers will be arriving or leaving. Since this is obviously not just a pier stop but one involving a terminal, my question is: when I want to leave the ship to go explore the city,  do I just exit like one does at a port stop or is there something different that takes place for those stops? And then returning to the ship, do I go through security and scanning in the terminal? Then?

Thanks for any help.

From your description I believe you are on a B2B.   There are many threads on this if you look.

Basically a B2B is the combination of 2 or more cruises.   Each are treated as a separate cruise.

You will receive B2B instructions and they likely will have a meeting to answer all your questions.   There are separate instructios for staying aboard or going ashore for the day and those staying aboard and being processed.

When you research you will see posted instructions.

Thanks to @Silkroad for the post.

B2B Instructions.jpeg

Good thread here -

Edited by Jim_Iain

I was on the Epic which had a similar setup where pax could board in either Rome or Barcelona.  We boarded in Barcelona. The process when we disembarked for our day in Rome was no different than any other port on that trip, other than the elevators were full of pax with luggage.

Agree. You will just treat this as any other port on your cruise. Those boarding doing their check in and so on will not interfere with your travels at all. You will be able to take excursions or private tours, of just DIY as in any other port.

We've recently done an MSC cruise with multiple "turnaround" ports.

No really negative elements, other than that some friendships are short.

Just like other ports for disembarking and returning, but some ports were a late sailaway time (presumably to allow for flights & transfers), so theoretically the option to spend the evening ashore.

No disruption to meals etc.

No worries

JB 🙂