Internet on Radiance

surgie

The mountains and their degree of pitch into the fjords where you sail apparently makes getting signal difficult.  Last year the Radiance's internet situation was quite poor, but also the satellites that are utilized don't reach as far north as Alaska as successfully as other "closer to the equator" cruises.  

No need to buy the key, my Radiance sailing cruise planner is listing surf+stream for $16.99/day, which is cheaper than it was last year I thought.  Internet/cell service in the ports was satisfactory for me without any internet package.

• Like 1

Just off the Radiance- sometimes service was good, but others not so much.  Like in our cabin- there were places where we just could not get good wifi.  And when nobody is around, it's pretty darned good out in the centrum or theater- but add people, and it basically stops working.  I don't think the wifi was set up to be used with massive amounts of people that have an app.

• Like 1

We were on Radiance last month and while she DOES have Starlink (on the roof), the network "inside" the ship is still the "vintage" WiFi that was installed when they first "upgraded" from CyberCabin (wired cable you rented for the week :)) 

Captain said they HOPE the WiFi gear gets upgraded next drydock (2024?)

I had GREAT luck using the Business Center/Voom area PCs that are actually WIRED to the network that bypasses the old WiFi gear.

• Like 1

Since the Starlink satellites are not in a fixed position (south), things should be better.  But the WiFi routers can be a problem  

There is only one option with Starlink.  Check your cruise planner for the prices. If you want the Internet, buy it before the cruise.  The prices will be much higher onboard

• Like 1