A Cunard Special Interest Group for Us Dandies?

Brummel

The myriad and spirited threads on the Cunard dress code have inspired me to arrange on my next QM2 Crossing December 15th, a special interest group aboard the Queens devoted to men's fashion. We would meet in a Connexions room, spend about a half hour with a talk on a suitable topic (The Evolution of the Suit; The "Rules" of Black Tie; The History of Savile Row; the Shops of Jermyn Street; etc.) and afterward a general discussion and sharing tips and hacks and sartorial whatever. Perhaps we could also combine the occasional lunch in the MDR with further fellowship and displays of our finery. 

Any other dandies interested meeting up or trying this during your own voyages?

• Like 1

My husband has been a historic reenactor for both the U.S. Victorian Society and the Civil War reenactors, and he and all his colleagues have a deep appreciation for authentic dress and style, and customs, etc.  He has some clothes from the period, as do I, but people were a lot smaller in those days, so it is difficult to wear many of the items.  When I was younger I knew friends in the Society for Creative Anachronism, who like to wear medieval dress.  There are many scholars and lay people interested in fashion and history, and it is a fascinating area to study!

Husband always says to me about dandies and the quote of Beau Brummell, "Fashions come and go; bad taste is timeless." 

I like Oscar Wilde, "One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art."

We do our best to hold up the fashion tradition whenever we cruise Cunard!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

Probably find many takers on the last QM2 world cruise 2024 before Cunard puts tradition in the closet for good.

However, “traditionalist’ will remain steadfast on crossings, or whatever Queen they sail on.

After all, the published Cunard dress code is only the basic minimum required standard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

12 hours ago, Brummel said:

The myriad and spirited threads on the Cunard dress code have inspired me to arrange on my next QM2 Crossing December 15th, a special interest group aboard the Queens devoted to men's fashion. We would meet in a Connexions room, spend about a half hour with a talk on a suitable topic (The Evolution of the Suit; The "Rules" of Black Tie; The History of Savile Row; the Shops of Jermyn Street; etc.) and afterward a general discussion and sharing tips and hacks and sartorial whatever. Perhaps we could also combine the occasional lunch in the MDR with further fellowship and displays of our finery. 

I wonder if that guy Michael Levy will be onboard. I might have surname wrong but on our last crossing before Covid Sept 2019 he was onboard spending 6 months onboard at a time (he is basically Cunard's version of Mario) and he was giving a lecture in the program about how to tie a bow tie. If he is onboard it might be something he might like to get involved in

13 hours ago, Brummel said:

Look out for 'Transatlantic Fashion week Crossing QM2'  hopefully these themed voyages will  return soon . Pre covid these themed voyages were a huge success in its fourth year until 2020.  They offered wonderful work shops for gentlemen ( and ladies)  presented by well known celebrity names in the fashion industry.   

• Like 1