SoA Western Med, March 2023

SaraSailing

We found the dining and wine service to be variable throughout our recent Saga cruise, it was our only real disappointment.  We felt it was down to waiters covering too many tables at once, and members of staff who were new and hadn’t had the chance to learn the ropes.  We discussed this with the guest relations officer who arranged for us to meet with the restaurant manager.  We were able to alleviate the situation by arriving at 6;30 each night and having a fixed table in an area which normally filled up about half an hour later so we were ahead of the crowd.  I’m hoping to see posters record improvement in this area before we cruise with Saga again.  Just one point to balance this though- the room service was absolutely fantastic, as was the poolside and terrace service- so if they can get the dining room sorted in the same way we will be delighted.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 5:10 PM, ballroom-cruisers said:

There is a lot I like about what I have seen and heard about Saga - car from home, departure and return from UK ports, happy and superb crew across the board, nice well designed new ships, great entertainment, and lovely dining. For us having the chance to enjoy ballroom and Latin dancing in the evenings is a key element in the decision to book a particular cruise line, and of course nice itineraries are a bonus, but it is the life on board that makes the holiday special, as well as visiting nice places along the way.  Lots of positive comments from your blog coverage adds to the nice anticipation of enjoying time on the same ship when we get to the time we will be on board too.  Keep up the nice posts.

I want to be fair, and Saga do a lot for the money. But they are a cruise line that prides itself in the customer service. And the current average client age on Saga cruises is around 76. At 52, I probably represent a new generation of cruisers for the company. So, I have a different voice, and one that might be more about how Saga can keep evolving and bringing in people across their whole age range. And I do share the same comments with the customer service director, and on feedback forms.

There are small things they can do which would make a big difference, not cost anything, and have a big impact. You want to be able to come back to ship from a day out and feel like it's "home".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I agree the senior staff in dining room,  seemed to be a bit superfluous. They don't spend much time talking to passengers, more time talking to each other.  I never in our 4 weeks saw one chipping in , carrying a plate to help out or getting some wine. Lovely people but you wondered what their purpose was when everyone else was so busy. 

It doesn't detract from the generally god and friendly service on Saga. One place were Saga could up it's game

To a certain extent, it's their job to be superfluous. The better they run the dining room, the less they are seen to being doing anything. But, being charming and present is a big part of it, and I think that had slipped. If a senior notices empty wine glasses, for example, I'd expect them to glide over, ask how everything in, say, "Ooh, empty glass, can I get you something?" and call a wine waiter. If they are pouring wine, it usually means something is going wrong. 

I had a chat with the assistant maitre d' at lunch time (he accosted me while I queued for cheese). I just said that maybe sometimes the senior dining room staff got a bit in their heads with logistics, and forgot their role was to make everything look good. Small things make a big difference - especially in such a big and complex dining room.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SaraSailing said:

To a certain extent, it's their job to be superfluous. The better they run the dining room, the less they are seen to being doing anything. But, being charming and present is a big part of it, and I think that had slipped. If a senior notices empty wine glasses, for example, I'd expect them to glide over, ask how everything in, say, "Ooh, empty glass, can I get you something?" and call a wine waiter. If they are pouring wine, it usually means something is going wrong. 

I agree in principle,  but for example on our cruise, wine waiter had to go to amalfi to get bottle of  Barolo.  Seemed to take quite a while, meanwhile no one was being topped up.  I did suggest they ensured they had bottles of all premium wine in MDR. But failing this the senior staff should step in .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I agree in principle,  but for example on our cruise, wine waiter had to go to amalfi to get bottle of  Barolo.  Seemed to take quite a while, meanwhile no one was being topped up.  I did suggest they ensured they had bottles of all premium wine in MDR. But failing this the senior staff should step in .

Yes, those are the times to step in. Certainly, making it flow!

2 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

We found the dining and wine service to be variable throughout our recent Saga cruise, it was our only real disappointment.  We felt it was down to waiters covering too many tables at once, and members of staff who were new and hadn’t had the chance to learn the ropes.  We discussed this with the guest relations officer who arranged for us to meet with the restaurant manager.  We were able to alleviate the situation by arriving at 6;30 each night and having a fixed table in an area which normally filled up about half an hour later so we were ahead of the crowd.  I’m hoping to see posters record improvement in this area before we cruise with Saga again.  Just one point to balance this though- the room service was absolutely fantastic, as was the poolside and terrace service- so if they can get the dining room sorted in the same way we will be delighted.

Interesting that their best solution to patchy service was to get you to change. We actually already go early, fixed table, first into the section. Some days things flow, other days are choppy, and then there is the occasional disaster. For me, dinner service is such an important part of cruising, and I want it to feel in flow - and for them to look at different policies to help overcome difficulties.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We like a fixed table but 7 to 7.30, it's nice to get to know the waiters. 

I think I just love people watching. I like a 7ish dinner, but I appreciate being able to watch everyone arrive, and getting to know your waiters is always a good thing. 

BARCELONA

We docked at cruise terminal A, on the new(ish) extension, There was a shuttle bus round as far as the World Trade Centre. But we wanted to get to the Picasso Museum, so we hopped in a taxi right by the cruise building. Even with the port surplus, it was only 15Euro.

The museum staff were brilliantly organising the queues, and we were in quickly. It does get busy, so it is worth booking in advance. I love the building, and the history of Picasso. My parents bought me a little bag,

Then we headed straight down to the main road, snagged another taxi and were back at the ship for lunch,

It was mid-cruise questionnaire day. I heard at least one person say he doesn't like to complain, for fear of upsetting people. I do like giving constructive feedback, because there are often small, simple, cheap things that would really raise the actual rating people share with their friends, rather than the one they write on the form.

IMG-20230322-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.2210b9e86b27765c9b57b0c40df13baa.jpeg20230322_181914.thumb.jpg.b0bcd7932d8f5651bf153a291dae0784.jpg20230322_174732.thumb.jpg.0359040105ba18e80114ed310dc972a8.jpg20230322_105311.thumb.jpg.2a4a2b1a776e434cc3956a5828de393b.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SaraSailing said:

For me, dinner service is such an important part of cruising, and I want it to feel in flow - and for them to look at different policies to help overcome difficulties.

I also feel that the dining experience is one of the most important aspects of cruising, and I have read the comments made above about shortcomings in that experience with some concern. We haven't sailed since the Covid outbreak but will be cruising on SofA this year. We were planning to book our 2024 trips whenever Saga released them to the general public (reportedly, next week), but might now delay that until after this year's trip to see if we are still happy with everything.

It is a pity that there is no way for Saga to respond to comments made in these pages. Not only would it show that they are being read, but it would enable Saga to give explanations for problems (eg staff sickness/equipment problems) and to let people know if any of the very helpful and sensible suggestions being offered are going to be acted upon. 

Many thanks again, Sara, for your excellent posts, and I hope that, overall, you are having an enjoyable trip.

Don't worry. 

I know I commented about senior restaurant being a bit superfluous,  however generally the food and service was very good. Occasionally it was just good service  and nice food , most often both very good, sometimes exceptional . There is always something that can be done better.

However we never had poor service or food on Saga, good was as low as it got, and wouldn't be booking a second time for a month if overall it hadn't been very enjoyable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In my recollection, the comments about "service not as good as it used to be" have been going on for years.

Best complaint I heard was some years back, one person complaining how slow the service was, it took ages to get to the coffee stage and it was very poor service.

Further discussion revealed that this was a table of 6, and unless specifically asked otherwise, the waiters clear and serve each course to the entire table.

Turned out that 2 table members were very s l o w eaters, which delayed each course until they were ready.

"So, why not ask for a table for 2? Then you don't have to wait for everybody else to finish?"

"Oh no, I like a large table for dinner".

"OK, so why not ask the waiters to serve you when you are ready instead of waiting for everyone to finish?"

"Oh no, I enjoy the conversation during dinner..."

Still insisted on calling it "slow service", though.

(I always think that things may speed up if the staff were trained in the art of gently disengaging from diners who want to carry out a mid-service long conversation about this, that and the other.)

Personally, I have had good service, slow service, and service that was far too fast.

All depends what I order, who else is ordering it, and how long it takes the kitchen to prepare and freshly cook the order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Slow service means different things to different people. OH and I like a good few minutes between courses as, especially aboard ship, we are never in any rush. OTOH late M-i-l and F-i-l would start to get antsy if the next course didn't arrive within milliseconds of the previous course. I never understood the rush! 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 3

We always ask for break between courses. One benefit of same table after day 2 our waiter knew this and would wait for ten minutes and ask are you ready  for me to put in order for next course. Even in speciality restaurants they got to know us. OK it was a 32 day cruise.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Personally, I have had good service, slow service, and service that was far too fast.

The actual speed of service was not my concern, rather the reported lack of attention given to diners with empty glasses or those who have opted not to eat all that they have been offered (was the food too much/disappointing in some way/not what was expected?). 

Thank you, Windsurfboy, for your reassurances about the overall standard at meal times. In our previous Saga cruises, dinner time was always a highlight of our trips. 

1 hour ago, Vivaldi said:

I also feel that the dining experience is one of the most important aspects of cruising, and I have read the comments made above about shortcomings in that experience with some concern. We haven't sailed since the Covid outbreak but will be cruising on SofA this year. We were planning to book our 2024 trips whenever Saga released them to the general public (reportedly, next week), but might now delay that until after this year's trip to see if we are still happy with everything.

It is a pity that there is no way for Saga to respond to comments made in these pages. Not only would it show that they are being read, but it would enable Saga to give explanations for problems (eg staff sickness/equipment problems) and to let people know if any of the very helpful and sensible suggestions being offered are going to be acted upon. 

Many thanks again, Sara, for your excellent posts, and I hope that, overall, you are having an enjoyable trip.

Honestly, I suspect Saga are probably doing better than most equivalent cruise lines. I like to draw attention to problems, because that's how things get resolved. I have to say, the seniors have been much more visibly checking on guests and helping with little things: this helps the sense of caring service, and actually gives them a clearer idea of what is going on - which makes their job easier. And if Saga wanted to engage on a blog, they could. I suspect most cruise lines choose not to.

If Diego is the guest services director on SoA (2 months in every 4), he is always open to hear and deal with ANYTHING. He's the one who told off the lecherous old man last year, in no uncertain terms. 

After the mid cruise survey, I had an assistant maître d' find me and ask lots of good questions. My parents were visited by head of house keeping - I still don't think their aircon is working right in their cabin, but she went through everything they'd said, good and bad. And I have a letter from the chef (a generic 'come for a meeting' one) that I need to act on. 

You will find the grill buffet bizarre post-covid - it's very hard to talk to the staff who plate the food, when they are behind complex screens. But I think they are working REALLY hard to get things right. The most important thing you can do is tell them when things miss. After all, if (like us) you've been cruising for 15 years, and observing the patterns, you are an expert of sorts. I am just a people watcher and pattern spotter. I like to see what can be done to keep raising the bar - especially when it's low cost and makes life easier for the crew too.

There was a (very milld) curry at lunchtime, in meat and veggie options. I did have a taste (it was good), but knew there were a few puy lentils in the meat one - my payment was sleeping all afternoon, but I didn't get any sicker than that. I'll try and write up yesterday and maybe today later. 

My parents have already booked for July (third time this year) and have been browsing the onboard 2024 lists. For a couple, Saga is good value. Solo, probably average for the market - there isn't a single supplement, but the single cabins have a different pricing scale.

In terms of food, the starters are brilliant - small, elegant, tasty. The main courses range from top notch to good, with the occasional miss. The desserts aren't my thing, but a lot of people love them. And the petit four are usually reliable. The Khukuri is excellent, and I could live there. They made my last curry extra spicy, and it really lifted the flavour for me. Formal tonight, so hoping for great things. And we're going to the Almalfi on Monday for a change. 

Don't let me put you off - just take in the whole picture and see how it fits with what you want. I love Silversea, but I have a lot of debates with them too!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

We always ask for break between courses. One benefit of same table after day 2 our waiter knew this and would wait for ten minutes and ask are you ready  for me to put in order for next course. Even in speciality restaurants they got to know us. OK it was a 32 day cruise.

On Silversea we've usually had to ask for "European" service as oppose to "American", in order to get things slowed down! The service speed here on Saga is largely good - sometimes quicker, sometimes slower, but all fine. I just notice things when they don't fall in that range - and one important thing is getting drinks to people within a few minutes of them sitting down, and then checking in to see if anything extra is needed on a timely basis.

48 minutes ago, Vivaldi said:

The actual speed of service was not my concern, rather the reported lack of attention given to diners with empty glasses or those who have opted not to eat all that they have been offered (was the food too much/disappointing in some way/not what was expected?). 

Thank you, Windsurfboy, for your reassurances about the overall standard at meal times. In our previous Saga cruises, dinner time was always a highlight of our trips. 

I think we're in a difficult zone - the wine waiters all have two areas, and ours has two areas that aren't next to each other, so he has a much harder job. I think the senior dining room staff have just been in their heads with logistics. But I noticed already they are doing more in terms of checking on people - as I'd expect for their role. This will make their job easier, because they will have a feel for issues before we even notice!

1 hour ago, SaraSailing said:

Honestly, I suspect Saga are probably doing better than most equivalent cruise lines.

Thanks for your last few posts Sara - they have helped to restore my confidence in Saga! And I'm sure we will now be booking 2024 whenever the new brochure arrives. 

Any chance of posting the menu for the formal meal tonight - I can't be the only person who loves to see what is being offered. Many thanks!

LA SEYNE SUR MERE for TOULON

French strikes meant we docked in La Seyne. Most tour coaches came here too, except one that required a ferry. Saga had organised a private ferry service from one  of the tour company boats. I think it was about 20 minutes across to Toulon.

Breakfast naan with avocado and chilli.

At lunch time the assistant maitre d' found me to talk about the dining room - things are definitely improving. 

We stayed here, and explored La Seyne. There is an art gallery on the hill that was showing an exhibition of the photos of Laurent Ballesta - under sea photography and photos of under sea photography. Saw a lovely floofy back cat with lots of attitude, who made me miss my little gang more.

Another curry night with a bit more spice. 

20230323_141429.thumb.jpg.3cc777a995deb9ada24fb4e3202dd8b0.jpg20230323_163002.thumb.jpg.9cdb5598175687598727de37a757f19f.jpg20230323_172236.thumb.jpg.8fd04a0a47ecc08c1a8052d23837edc9.jpg20230323_140353.thumb.jpg.1ec3c58c2923093f598bdc94d430ad59.jpg20230323_134340.thumb.jpg.043088f1bd436b1d49f35a70b27fc7a9.jpg20230323_081512.thumb.jpg.9ab923e25946cc6f9e931667f1f48bc3.jpg20230323_204506.thumb.jpg.1f2bcd29e0cf279ea8536650b83af297.jpg20230323_195522.thumb.jpg.3955e8f94ed8466e169b480bae3931f5.jpg20230323_194455.thumb.jpg.4cf4d2ffc3f62392abab6e4e3189a8da.jpg20230323_193202.thumb.jpg.402a13413462fdb901a0ab3163910ada.jpg20230323_145831.thumb.jpg.62e9559fb4d14a9ddad1970d86cc8458.jpg20230323_142907.thumb.jpg.3c9f49f06265c95de33400353d327133.jpg

thanks for the comments and pics everyone.  I s till cannot work out why if I post pictures some of them, as above with SS,  come out sideways and ive tried lots of ways to prevent this.  if anyone knows, could they please post, yes I know it is completely off topic....

19 minutes ago, sleepingcat said:

thanks for the comments and pics everyone.  I s till cannot work out why if I post pictures some of them, as above with SS,  come out sideways and ive tried lots of ways to prevent this.  if anyone knows, could they please post, yes I know it is completely off topic....

Someone explained it to me last time I wrote a blog. There is a "right" way and a "wrong" way up to take photos on a phone. Most systems are clever enough to correct the "wrong". BUT CC does not. The challenge is that it's very hard to know which ones are "wrong", as they look "right" until I post them. I know I could go through all the photos, edit and save a copy, which would probably work - I just can't bring myself to spend that much time when I could be doing nothing! I wish WISH that CC could implement whatever is needed to sort this one out.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2023 at 6:24 PM, snoopy4 said:

We regard to the comments in the Dining Room, I would suggest that Trevor Walford be promptly reinstated by Saga. 

He ran a very tight and efficient ship which is sadly missing.

Disagree and not ever likely. Never had a problem in any of the dining rooms.

• Thanks 1