Musings from Covid isolation

CoolBeansVA

8 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thank you, Valerie!  We are good. Pierre is off Paxlovid, and and I finish tomorrow.  It is truly the cure worse than the disease.  I am so tired of Paxlovid mouth!

I remember two years ago when we all went to Iceland on the inaugural cruise.  That was scary, but we all made it!  And I’m so glad we did it!  We are off to Alaska the end of May for a big anniversary. Where are you going next, before the WC?

Glad to hear you are recovering. I have heard about the Paxlovid  taste; sounds nasty . You will enjoy the beauty of Alaska and congratulations on a big anniversary  ! 

We are off for a 7 week trip in about 2 weeks doing a TA , Austria, a Krakow to Berlin trip and then somehow got talked into meeting our son , daughter in law and 1 year old grandson in Cancun for a few nights ( thinking they want a babysitter for a few days there 🤣) . August sees us doing a Viking  Bergen to NY trip after visiting friends that live outside of Oslo and then family in NY at the end of the cruise . Then it will be time to focus on the WC.

3 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Glad to hear you are recovering. I have heard about the Paxlovid  taste; sounds nasty . You will enjoy the beauty of Alaska and congratulations on a big anniversary  ! 

We are off for a 7 week trip in about 2 weeks doing a TA , Austria, a Krakow to Berlin trip and then somehow got talked into meeting our son , daughter in law and 1 year old grandson in Cancun for a few nights ( thinking they want a babysitter for a few days there 🤣) . August sees us doing a Viking  Bergen to NY trip after visiting friends that live outside of Oslo and then family in NY at the end of the cruise . Then it will be time to focus on the WC.

So glad you are traveling again, and traveling so much.  Bon Voyage!!

On 3/18/2023 at 8:42 PM, dd57 said:

My husband caught COVID early on our cruise last August.  There wasn't a separate cabin for me to go to, so I had to sleep next to him for 6 nights.  I wore a N95 mask whenever I was in the cabin, including all night, and never caught it from him.  I was tested daily.  I think he caught it on the bus to the ship when he decided he was tired of wearing his mask after the long flight.

I was free to roam on the ship and go on excursions, as long as I wore a mask. in public spaces and on the bus.  It was sad not being able to share those experiences with him.

We had similar experience like yours last summer. We wore 3M N95 masks everywhere on the ship including at night while sleeping and we skipped all entertainment events. Naturally we had to remove our masks to eat in main dining room. We caught COVID a few days later on the cruise and guessing we caught it in the dining room from other diners near our table for 2 since staff all had masks on. We lucked out because symptoms were extremely mild with just occasional cough and slight sore throat. We brought our own test kits and 5 days supply of PAXLOVID. So glad we did because ship ran out of PAXLOVID and test kits. Ship was charging $1600 for 5 days supply of PAXLOVID. Our symptoms disappeared after just 24 hours on PAXLOVID. Based on this experience we'll never travel abroad without test kits and with at least one week supply of PAXLOVID. Yes, PAXLOVID leaves a metallic taste in the mouth so we take some ginger candy to overcome that which works perfectly.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, YWW said:

We had similar experience like yours last summer. We wore 3M N95 masks everywhere on the ship including at night while sleeping and we skipped all entertainment events. Naturally we had to remove our masks to eat in main dining room. We caught COVID a few days later on the cruise and guessing we caught it in the dining room from other diners near our table for 2 since staff all had masks on. We lucked out because symptoms were extremely mild with just occasional cough and slight sore throat. We brought our own test kits and 5 days supply of PAXLOVID. So glad we did because ship ran out of PAXLOVID and test kits. Ship was charging $1600 for 5 days supply of PAXLOVID. Our symptoms disappeared after just 24 hours on PAXLOVID. Based on this experience we'll never travel abroad without test kits and with at least one week supply of PAXLOVID. Yes, PAXLOVID leaves a metallic taste in the mouth so we take some ginger candy to overcome that which works perfectly.

So, Viking was unable to test you for COVID?

6 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Want to tag onto this @Iloveketo question... did you quarantine as is usual for Viking? Was Viking enforcing their 5 nights quarantine period after testing positive? 

We didn’t have symptoms or test positive until 3 days after leaving the ship. So, I have no idea what Viking is doing if someone gets sick. Paxlovid definitely made a huge difference.  My husband who has underlaying issues and got Paxlovid is totally fine now and I still have cold symptoms. 

Edited by Iloveketo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Iloveketo said:

So, Viking was unable to test you for COVID?

Since we brought our own test kits, we tested ourselves daily. A couple we knew went on a Viking ocean cruise and got infected. Viking ran out of PAXLOVID and test kits but the couple brought their own test kits. Viking medical office on the ship refused to tell them how many passengers were infected. Fortunately in their case, their cruise was ending in a few days so they got treated with PAXLOVID after getting off the ship.

• Thanks 1

Once you test positive there's no need to keep testing because you could continue to test positive for weeks but not be infectious after the required quarantine period.  I never had symptoms with Covid, so won't need the antivirals. Not that Aussies can get them anyway unless proven positive so no 'just in case' for us. Husband needed Panadol for a day or so but was otherwise ok. On land. Not a cruise ship. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2023 at 10:16 AM, SJD117 said:

I'm not concerned about the rebound issue. The FDA found that only a small fraction of patients who took Paxlovid experienced a rebound. Further, Covid patients who didn't receive Paxlovid experienced rebound as well. The agency concluded last week that there wasn't a significant difference in rebound rates between the two groups, and that rebound had no impact on the risk of developing severe illness. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/16/health/fda-paxlovid-covid.html

https://www.fda.gov/media/166197/download

Well, I spoke too soon. This morning I woke up with Paxlovid “rebound” — 10 days after I went on the med after being first diagnosed with Covid, and 5 days after ending the med and leaving quarantine. My symptoms today are actually worse than the first time, with a nasty cough and really bad nasal congestion. And of course, I tested positive again with the antigen test.

As a result, we have to cancel our DIY trip this Wednesday to Italy and Greece. If there’s a silver lining in this dark cloud, the rebound and resulting quarantine should allow us to cancel for medical reasons under our travel insurance policy (not Tripmate), meaning we’ll get money back to cover our nonrefundable trip expenses. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Well, I spoke too soon. This morning I woke up with Paxlovid “rebound” — 10 days after I went on the med after being first diagnosed with Covid, and 5 days after ending the med and leaving quarantine. My symptoms today are actually worse than the first time, with a nasty cough and really bad nasal congestion. And of course, I tested positive again with the antigen test.

As a result, we have to cancel our DIY trip this Wednesday to Italy and Greece. If there’s a silver lining in this dark cloud, the rebound and resulting quarantine should allow us to cancel for medical reasons under our travel insurance policy (not Tripmate), meaning we’ll get money back to cover our nonrefundable trip expenses. 

What a shame. I’m so sorry to hear that.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

SJD117,

Covid is a nasty little bugger,  back to taking care of yourself as you recover tfor the second time in a short period. I can only think your immunity will be huge once you get over this episode.

Hope for a speedy recovery.  Thank God you have trip insurance, but missing a cruise one has looked forward to is a letdown.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 12:22 PM, YWW said:

We brought our own test kits and 5 days supply of PAXLOVID. So glad we did because ship ran out of PAXLOVID and test kits. Ship was charging $1600 for 5 days supply of PAXLOVID.

Holy cow!   I searched my Photos app for the word "Paxlovid". 

Looks like the retail price in Texas was $56 USD last year !! 

( not my pic - I asked a friend who was in a similar situation:  about to travel internationally; wanting to get Paxlovid in advance just in case, to send me a pic to make sure I asked for the right thing from my doctor. )

image.thumb.png.28c7fda3fa858ba03a741d87ef75fbe3.png

On 3/28/2023 at 12:22 PM, YWW said:

Based on this experience we'll never travel abroad without test kits and with at least one week supply of PAXLOVID.

FYI for those who can't get it in advance, and possibly not relevant for Viking: 

After hearing of a friend's experience with trying to get a script via CVS's Test to Treat instead of a doctor script,   I now include a copy of my latest CMP complete metabolic panel that shows I have normal kidney functioning.    The cvs pharmacist wouldn't give him Paxlovid unless he could prove normal kidney functioning.  

On 3/28/2023 at 1:07 PM, Iloveketo said:

Paxlovid definitely made a huge difference.  My husband who has underlaying issues and got Paxlovid is totally fine now and I still have cold symptoms. 

Glad to hear it made a difference for your husband.   @IloveketoHow long has it been for you since you tested positive? 

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

( not my pic - I asked a friend who was in a similar situation:  about to travel internationally; wanting to get Paxlovid in advance just in case, to send me a pic to make sure I asked for the right thing from my doctor. )

FYI for those who can't get it in advance, and possibly not relevant for Viking: 

After hearing of a friend's experience with trying to get a script via CVS's Test to Treat instead of a doctor script,   I now include a copy of my latest CMP complete metabolic panel that shows I have normal kidney functioning.    The cvs pharmacist wouldn't give him Paxlovid unless he could prove normal kidney functioning.  

Glad to hear it made a difference for your husband.   @IloveketoHow long has it been for you since you tested positive? 

2 hours ago, SempreMare said:

We tested positive on a Thursday. He started Paxlovid that evening and was feeling better on Saturday. Sunday he was out taking a walk. It took me about a week to feel like doing much of anything. 

10 hours ago, SJD117 said:

I'm sorry to read this SJD, that's really bad luck.

I think I mentioned that here in the UK they don't hand it out willy nilly, it's a case of weighing up the concern for serious potential complications to covid for certain health conditions and the meds for those conditions, against the potential of a Paxlovid rebound. My hosp telephone interview was thorough before it was couriered over to me. The potential rebound was discussed and I was told to be aware but also that it wasn't the norm. It's all very much a lottery.

Hunker down, drink lots of water and do nothing, rest as much as poss. I was completely knocked for six by C and awfully glad mine didn't rebound. It can be a nasty little blighter! Hope you repair quickly!

• Like 2

You have it spot on @DGHOC  

Our doctor advised that it was not a drug they would recommend unsupervised use of and indeed highlighted issues in other countries where people approach its use like ibuprofen (his words). He decided not to give us anything but left us to “ride it out” albeit with the support to shout again if we needed help. 
At the same time a friend using a different GP got the drug. I know we are all different but although it was a rough few days we were very well on the mend post isolation our friend took I’ll again 8 days in and was about three weeks to feeling better. 
Im glad the UK took this tighter approach- your view may vary 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, uktog said:

You have it spot on @DGHOC  

Our doctor advised that it was not a drug they would recommend unsupervised use of and indeed highlighted issues in other countries where people approach its use like ibuprofen (his words). He decided not to give us anything but left us to “ride it out” albeit with the support to shout again if we needed help. 
At the same time a friend using a different GP got the drug. I know we are all different but although it was a rough few days we were very well on the mend post isolation our friend took I’ll again 8 days in and was about three weeks to feeling better. 
Im glad the UK took this tighter approach- your view may vary 

I do agree though I'm aware that drug management and administration systems differ worldwide.

It's impossible to say of course whether Paxlovid helped me or whether I would have reacted in the same way without it. It was highly recommended that I take it. Interestingly, my husband without any underlying health conditions was unable to shake it off until days after me and was still unwell and testing positive 10-11 days later. As I said, it's all a lottery.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SJD117 said:

So sorry to hear.  Covid positive is definitely a medical reason.

19 hours ago, SJD117 said:

So sorry to hear about your rebound infection. FWIW, researchers recently have found some evidence that rebound infection among those who have *not* taken Paxlovid may occur at rates similar to those who have - small comfort, of course, but may help to prevent "shouldn't have taken Paxlovid" regret. Wishing you a rapid and complete recovery.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 5:25 AM, Sundown59 said:

Viking is still requiring all passengers to be vaccinated, though, right?  Perhaps time to rethink that given the efficacy of the vaccinations?  My take is that if you are cruising, you are risking infection.  Worth the risk to me.

Have you heard if Viking is going to lift its vaccination requirement in the US in May after the Biden administration's end of COVID-19 emergency declarations on May 11?  

On 3/24/2023 at 12:16 PM, SJD117 said:

I'm not concerned about the rebound issue. The FDA found that only a small fraction of patients who took Paxlovid experienced a rebound. Further, Covid patients who didn't receive Paxlovid experienced rebound as well. The agency concluded last week that there wasn't a significant difference in rebound rates between the two groups, and that rebound had no impact on the risk of developing severe illness. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/16/health/fda-paxlovid-covid.html

https://www.fda.gov/media/166197/download

Studies with large "n" sample size seem to agree with above quote from @SJD117 and @JDincalif.

Anecdotal example - I remember in 2020, lots of people covered in the media talked about feeling better at day 7, then much worse on days 10-ish.  Did people use the word rebound then?  I don't remember.

But here's what I truly don't understand about the current rebound / Paxlovid discussion: 

Let's say the opposite of above were true, and Paxlovid definitely caused rebound symptoms at a significantly greater rate than in those who didn't take it.

Why trade-off the risk? 

Option 1) Don't request Paxlovid for risk of rebound symptoms at Day 10.

Option 2) Request Paxlovid for its 86% risk reduction of being hospitalized or dying.

**Of course, those 2 options assume no competing risks based on a doctor's analysis.  

Ex:  You are medically OK to take Paxlovid

- You have healthy kidneys.

- It's OK to stop your high cholesterol meds (some statins) while you are on Paxlovid + 5 days after.

etc.

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, SJD117 said:

So sorry to read this D. I hope you and Linda can book it again in the near future and I hope everything else is going well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tidalmist said:

It is nearly impossible to obtain Paxlovid here in Canada. We certainly cannot get a prescription of it filled for travel. What to do in this case?

What UK and Aussies and some US people  have to do. Wait until you test positive and hopefully ship has stock and will prescribe if you meet criteria.