Observations from the Poop Deck Nieuw Amsterdam

57 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Oh wow!  So happy that the safety procedures in place worked well!  That kind of gets your adrenaline pumping!!!

I'm enjoying your perspective as a new to HAL cruiser.  Thanks for reporting.  

~Nancy

When the PA sounds an announcement, the ship becomes eerily silent, everyone sucks in a deep breath of air in anticipation of heading to muster stations.The Captain comes on with the good news and applause breaks out. 

• Like 2

Well must make a correction about 'no lines'. Huge line waiting to get into the MDR at 5:30 pm. Found number of entrees to be more extensive and very good compared to Celebrity  Retreat, NCL Haven, RCCL Coastal Kitchen, and MSC Yacht Club.

Though food is a personal, deep-seated idiosyncrasy peculiar to each individual. Would it be farfetched to imagine that the same chef is rotating from one kitchen to another, in a confined space as a cruise ship, in response to more anticipated bookings in one venue from another; cooking on similar hardware the same seafood, chicken, meats only presented differently? Perception is reality. The buffet appears to be a free for all, but take the same entrees and put them on a dressed plate with colorful garnish, served in moments by an attentive waiter grinding pepper, grading cheese, and topping up your glass of wine….voila… an upcharge! For example, we noted in the buffet (before we ran out holding our breaths) a tray filled with what the label above said "Butter Chicken". One evening on the YC menu was "Butter Chicken". I thought it was spectacular. Could it have come from the same kitchen?

Went to "Humanity" at Mainstage Theatre at 7pm. Six dancers did a good job for a hour performance. HAL does a good job with less. Able to get to BB Kings early enough for a seat for one performance and then went to Oceans Bar for a new jazz group "Third Avenue West" which we found to be better than most. Heard that most of these ensembles are thrown together for the first time on cruise ships. They apply for solo gigs with production companies and are told 'make it work' together as a group.

• Like 1

I really like reading your observations, Mr. Morpheus. I know you and the Mrs. are used to a little more "upscale" cruising. I fear that by the end of this sailing, Holland America may be a distant memory for you. It just may be my perception, but it sounds like the (how should I say) procedures/operations are a little not what you are used to. And rightly so. I don't think I would like a $840 charge on my cc either. I have never heard of this. I hope the rest of the sailing is to your liking.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I really like reading your observations, Mr. Morpheus. I know you and the Mrs. are used to a little more "upscale" cruising. I fear that by the end of this sailing, Holland America may be a distant memory for you. It just may be my perception, but it sounds like the (how should I say) procedures/operations are a little not what you are used to. And rightly so. I don't think I would like a $840 charge on my cc either. I have never heard of this. I hope the rest of the sailing is to your liking.

This happens with some land based hotels also. It is a hold not a charge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I know you and the Mrs. are used to a little more "upscale" cruising. I fear that by the end of this sailing, Holland America may be a distant memory for you

Thank you. You are very adept at reading between the lines. Every ship has its 'charm'. It has been only 2 days and DW wants me to start looking at the Rotterdam or the Statendam.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I just checked in one of our cabins for our cruise and it clearly showed, per passenger, the amount that would be preauthorized and explained what it was for. So at least they do notify you during check in about it!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, greensprout said:

We have retreat cabana 8, but did not witness your faux pas.  Stop by and say hello as am sure we will be there a decent bit of tomorrow’s sea day.  

Cheers.

We are in #12 enjoying this beautiful sea day 😎

I try to write these things down as they occur so as not to be overlooked or forgotten. Find that staff transport food covered the old fashion way, under stainless steel. Do not like those wooden boxes used to bring 'treats' to the cabins, or plastic. Although we still received our chocolate ships last month on the Seascape, supply chain ran out of boxes and they were wrapped in plastic wrap. Maybe why MSC is switching to chocolate factory wrapped bars instead. Our TA was still appreciative of this 'saran' wrapped gift though I thought it was a bit 'tacky' without its ribbon wrapped clear plastic packaging.

It is very quiet up in the Retreat cabana area. I notice that there is a stowaway cricket hiding in the drains which stops sounding around noon time. At first I thought it was quaint background nature sounds being 'piped in'.

• Like 1

Some friends and I disembarked March 19.  We had a really great time on board.  Agree with the BB King's is too small comment.  In fact, I agree with all comments.  We did not have a suite, only a balcony cabin.  It was very nice.  Food, service, common areas, entertainment were all extremely good.  I am rethinking my Celebrity Aqua Class bias and would definitely like to book HAL for the next cruise.  It was cruising the old fashioned way, and I like that.  Thought it was great value for the cost.  

Ohiodoglover

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This 19 second video of BB Kings took 20 minutes to upload.

IMG_2788.MOV

We were on NA last week and really enjoyed BB Kings nearly every night, except the last when it was entirely overrun with teens, who were making so much noise the lead singer called them out. None of the band members in your video are the same performers as last week. I had assumed they were contracted for several weeks/months. Maybe last week was the last performance for that cast? 

• Thanks 1

I was told onboard that the BB King sponsored bands had 3 month contracts.  However, things are changing with the way bands are contracted.  Don't know if the new procedure has started yet though.  Word is, onboard bands will not have business ties with the BB King Club, Rolling Stone (magazine?) or Lincoln Center.  I hope we will know more specifics soon!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Thanks 1

This is interesting and has happened to us over the years. This is the first time it was explained to us by a CD. I'll try to upload this 1 minute 20 second video of Kimberly explaining the situation. 

We arrive at 6 am to Amber Cove, DR. and disembarkation will begin early (like 7am). HAL has a policy of NO announcements before 8 am. Guests are at risk of missing their tours and NO refunds will be given if they do not get off the ship by 7:40 am. There is another ship coming into port at 7:40am  (Carnival Mardi Gras) and the port authority will be closing all embarkation/debarkation activities on the dock until that ship finishes docking at around 8:30 am.

Ha ha!!  I love those chairs because I stop and rest my sore knee before continuing on my wanderings!

They didn't have elevator lobby chairs on Rotterdam so I had to sit on the edge of some planters and art pedestals!!  😲  I missed those chairs!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

Finding the entertainment better than the Celebrity Beyond or the MSC Seascape. The 6 dancers are more 'polished' than the 14-18 on the other two in the Theatres. Better comedian. Not many 'heavy' drinkers needing to 'max out' their drink packages. This was a very good choice of cruise for Spring Break. Many thanks to Styles27.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Finding the entertainment better than the Celebrity Beyond or the MSC Seascape. The 6 dancers are more 'polished' than the 14-18 on the other two in the Theatres. Better comedian. Not many 'heavy' drinkers needing to 'max out' their drink packages. This was a very good choice of cruise for Spring Break. Many thanks to Styles27.

It's refreshing to read some positive comments on the entertainment on the HAL ships, otherwise known as the BHB's!  🚢

I was on NA for the March 12 7-day So. Caribbean cruise. One of the downsides of cruising as often as I do is repetition. Same ol', same ol'. This is my 30th HAL cruise, and the fourth cruise since the re-start and my hopes for improvement as time passes were dashed. Seems each cruise declined a little more than the last. Ended up coming home and canceling our September/October 51-day So. Pacific voyage. I understand the line is trying to stay afloat, but I don't need to be there while they undergo the process. 

This is our view from the Retreat cabana of Amber Cove, DR. Complimentary liter bottle of water. Find there are still many questions on FB about complimentary water. Even with a beverage package of 15 drinks or cans of water, one will be charged for any use of the mini bar. One must collect (after 11 am) up to 15 cans/day at the Neptune Lounge or any bar on the ship. One will find on embarkation day one glass liter bottle of water complimentary from the Captain and one bottle of complimentary Champagne (suite cabin). Everything else is a charge and one must always submit ones key card (except in the Neptune Lounge where one is asked to fill out a form with what is taken). Find this process for suite guests a bit old fashion. MSC Yacht Club all drinks in the YC are complimentary up to a certain price point, and all the complimentary bottled water one can drink, no limit).

IMG_2796.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

One of the downsides of cruising as often as I do is repetition. Same ol', same ol'. This is my 30th HAL cruise, and the fourth cruise since the re-start and my hopes for improvement as time passes were dashed. Seems each cruise declined a little more than the last. Ended up coming home and canceling our September/October 51-day So. Pacific voyage. I understand the line is trying to stay afloat, but I don't need to be there while they undergo the process. 

YES ! We understand completely. We too experienced this 20 years ago aboard the Orient Lines Marco Polo. We became jaded 

"tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something."

We would spend the entire summer on board (two lowers on the inside) for many years. DW is still teaching. And go back for two weeks for winter break.

Now in the twilight of our lives we decided to 'kick it up a notch' (while we still can). No more long cruises, 7-10 days only (we get bored with repetition of entertainment and menus). Try to take a cruise every 1-2 months. Only take suites with big enough balcony to fit at least one 'cushioned' lounge reclining deck chair. No longer fly (DW travels with 12 suitcases). Last year had trouble packing car and when I complained to her, her  answer to me was "Get a bigger car". So we took out a Heloc on the house and I bought a bigger car. "Happy wife, happy life".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1