Sorry - but another Covid question

chloemonkey

As we have now seen numerous passengers being transported by the “hazmat” staff and also seen the quarantined passengers staterooms being visited by gloved and masked nurses and staff, I was wondering what happens to these passengers who will not have completed the current five day quarantine period when it is time to disembark at the conclusion of the cruise?

As in do they just then allow quarantined passengers to join the rest of the group during disembarkation?  And while claiming luggage, customers etc?  
Hard as it would be to become Sick with Covid and miss a large portion of the cruise, it would also be an additional issue to be stuck at the end of the cruise in a hotel or something…..and I was just wondering how Oceania is handling this aspect after having seen so many people quarantined over the past few weeks.

7 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

As we have now seen numerous passengers being transported by the “hazmat” staff and also seen the quarantined passengers staterooms being visited by gloved and masked nurses and staff, I was wondering what happens to these passengers who will not have completed the current five day quarantine period when it is time to disembark at the conclusion of the cruise?

As in do they just then allow quarantined passengers to join the rest of the group during disembarkation?  And while claiming luggage, customers etc?  
Hard as it would be to become Sick with Covid and miss a large portion of the cruise, it would also be an additional issue to be stuck at the end of the cruise in a hotel or something…..and I was just wondering how Oceania is handling this aspect after having seen so many people quarantined over the past few weeks.

Both my husband and I had covid on our cruise last September. As we were both in strict quarantine, the ship designated covid positive guests to disembark last. We were given yellow tags and waited in our cabin until all other tag colors were announced. They never actually announced our color, so we called the desk and they told us we could leave. We noticed a small pile of about 20 suitcases with yellow tags. Disembarking in Barcelona was simple- no one checked our health status though the ship is required to inform the health authority of how many covid positive guests are on board. we made sure to distance ourselves from everyone.

When this happened to us last July, Oceania arranged for hotel rooms at a reduced rate in the disembarkation city for the remainder of the five day period (at our own expense, reimbursed by travel insurance). The healthy partner arranged own transportation to the hotel; those who were completing the five day isolation were kept separate from other passengers, disembarked last, and transported together to the hotel accompanied by Oceania staff.

4 hours ago, JDincalif said:

When this happened to us last July, Oceania arranged for hotel rooms at a reduced rate in the disembarkation city for the remainder of the five day period (at our own expense, reimbursed by travel insurance). The healthy partner arranged own transportation to the hotel; those who were completing the five day isolation were kept separate from other passengers, disembarked last, and transported together to the hotel accompanied by Oceania staff.

It was the same for us last August.

• Like 1

Would this not depend on what regulations (if any) apply for the country of disembarkation? For example, if leaving the ship at most (all?) European ports, there will be no quarantine requirement. So, in practice, I could fly from here in the UK to, say, Barcelona for the weekend and fly back, having had a lovely couple of days, Covid positive for the whole period and not breach anyone's regulations.

If an American port I'd expect to just be disembarked separately at the end of the cruise and then you're on your own. That's what happened to us in January on NCL - diagnosed on Sunday, treated multiple times until Tuesday pm, disembarked separately from rest of passengers and dropped on sidewalk with our luggage outside of Manhattan terminal (in middle of all boarding guests) on Weds morning.

I noticed this post while still on board the Riviera on the cruise ending on the 22nd. I think you might have been on that one and the one before. I was wondering at the time if we were on the same cruise as I saw no quarantine, no one in hazmat suits and no evidence of anyone being offloaded. I didn't want to jinx myself by mentioning it at the time, but having been home almost a week I think I'm ok. 

At any rate maybe it was because I was on deck 7 by the aft elevators and just shot right down to 6 for meals or Martinis, disembarking at ports and going to the Theater. If going up to Terrace I took the elevator as my knee was acting up. My point is I spent very little time walking down hallways on 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11, so I might have missed seeing anything. I did notice some passengers wearing masks, and a few crew. 

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I noticed this post while still on board the Riviera on the cruise ending on the 22nd. I think you might have been on that one and the one before. I was wondering at the time if we were on the same cruise as I saw no quarantine, no one in hazmat suits and no evidence of anyone being offloaded. I didn't want to jinx myself by mentioning it at the time, but having been home almost a week I think I'm ok. 

At any rate maybe it was because I was on deck 7 by the aft elevators and just shot right down to 6 for meals or Martinis, disembarking at ports and going to the Theater. If going up to Terrace I took the elevator as my knee was acting up. My point is I spent very little time walking down hallways on 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11, so I might have missed seeing anything. I did notice some passengers wearing masks, and a few crew. 

This was the Riviera cruise March 2-12. We also knew nothing while we were on board, but here it is in the new.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/couple-left-on-island-of-dominica-when-man-78-gets-covid-on-caribbean-cruise/3296782/

6 hours ago, Suiteaft said:

Are any of the quarantine days refundable by Oceania or travel insurance?

Our travel insurance did reimburse quarantine days (up to a preset per day dollar amount) for the isolated passenger, but not for the healthy partner who was still able to enjoy all cruise activities and amenities 

What is the Covid protocol. If you test positive do you go to the dr and then they

quarantine you for 5 days? Or is there a protocol for testing on and off the ship?

Or is it the honor system if you test positive? Just wondering because some people

get it and have no symptoms and some get mild symptoms, just trying to figure 

things out. Appreciate any input.

thanks

1 hour ago, pjsportsmom said:

What is the Covid protocol. If you test positive do you go to the dr and then they

quarantine you for 5 days? Or is there a protocol for testing on and off the ship?

Or is it the honor system if you test positive? Just wondering because some people

thanks

If you are going to make a claim on insurance  you would probably need a report from the doctor

If you do test yourself & are positive you should stay in your cabin & let staff know

JMO

3 hours ago, pjsportsmom said:

thanks

If one goes to Medical and are displaying Covid symptoms they are tested. On the Marina it was the PCR test at $250. 

People were not automatically let out of quarantine at 5 days. After 5 days they could retest ($100 antigen test) and only  if it was negative they could come out of quarantine. If positive they had to wait and be retested again. Another $100. 

Still mostly self reported, however Oceania was still using the facial recognition system and taking your temperature on boarding the ship. Some people got caught by the cameras apparently.

Edited by pinotlover

21 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Our travel insurance did reimburse quarantine days (up to a preset per day dollar amount) for the isolated passenger, but not for the healthy partner who was still able to enjoy all cruise activities and amenities 

On a cruise last September- husband diagnosed with covid day 2, myself on day 6. Oceania gave us both the same  cruise credits (from day 2 -day 7)

19 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you are going to make a claim on insurance  you would probably need a report from the doctor

If you do test yourself & are positive you should stay in your cabin & let staff know

JMO

Oceania gave us 80% of the value of our cruise in FCC. For our airfare changes, our insurance required the full medical report from the ship's doctor. Once they had it, we were promptly refunded.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:16 AM, schmerl said:

This was the Riviera cruise March 2-12. We also knew nothing while we were on board, but here it is in the new.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/couple-left-on-island-of-dominica-when-man-78-gets-covid-on-caribbean-cruise/3296782/

It appears from reading the article that the couple did not have travel insurance for medical incidents. If they had, a simple phone call to the company contact would have taken care of anything needed. Not just medical expense reimbursement, but arrangements for care or evacuation. Best to have it at any age, but especially at their ages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vertygo said:

It appears from reading the article that the couple did not have travel insurance for medical incidents. If they had, a simple phone call to the company contact would have taken care of anything needed. Not just medical expense reimbursement, but arrangements for care or evacuation. Best to have it at any age, but especially at their ages.

We were on this cruise and actually had to wait for a tender as they were bringing the person affected from the ship.  And as I understood the current situation (I believe we received e mails to this effect pre-cruise) we were on our OWN so to speak when it came to Covid.  This is of course separate from the care onboard and quarantine assistance i.e bringing food, nurses etc. to the cabin.  At least this was my take on it all.  For the record, we do now take out insurance for all travel......

My main concern is that all of the people that we saw onboard and being offloaded....are now safely at home and recovered.  This did re-affirm the fact that it is worth the cost to pay for travel insurance....although from what I saw the personnel onboard did try to truly care for those affected....but at some point, people may need hospitalization.....which creates a whole other ballgame.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think the policy has changed  since  2022

Oceania  I do not think gives  FCC  for covid

someone will correct me if not the case

Oceania did not offer us any FCC for COVID isolation in June/July 2022, in contrast to what others have reported here.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Vertygo said:

the couple did not have travel insurance for medical incidents.

Let's be blunt here. If they were travelling outside of  their home country without travel insurance, then they were fools. And, potentially, most unfair to their family who may have had to cough up thousands to pay for their stupidity.

I say this as someone who is unable to travel as we currently cannot get insurance due to undiagnosed medical conditions (and we have had to cancel one cruise that we had paid a deposit on as well as a similar situation with a non-cruise holiday to Spain over last Christmas.).

Edited by Harters

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Let's be blunt here. If they were travelling outside of  their home country without travel insurance, then they were fools. And, potentially, most unfair to their family who may have had to cough up thousands to pay for their stupidity.

I say this as someone who is unable to travel as we currently cannot get insurance due to undiagnosed medical conditions (and we have had to cancel one cruise that we had paid a deposit on as well as a similar situation with a non-cruise holiday to Spain over last Christmas.).

Don’t know if they did or didn’t have travel insurance or the reason if they didn’t, but no need to call names & add salt to the wound, so to speak.

We also can’t travel now due to DH’s advanced Alzheimer’s at 70. Had to cancel Tahiti/LA cruise last year due to his rapid decline & had to fight the insurance company for refund, but were successful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vertygo said:

but no need to call names & add salt to the wound, so to speak.

You really think that a comment about travel insurance isnt appropriate for a travel discussion board? Ah well, each to their own.

I'm pleased that you were able to get a refund. Unfortunately by the time we had to cancel our cruise, our policy had expired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

You really think that a comment about travel insurance isnt appropriate for a travel discussion board? Ah well, each to their own.

I'm pleased that you were able to get a refund. Unfortunately by the time we had to cancel our cruise, our policy had expired.

Travel insurance definitely an appropriate topic, but no need to call someone a fool.

• Like 2

I don’t think there are these strikt protocols any more. By summer 2022 almost the half of Europe had covid.

Here in Europe you are ill and have to go to the doctor if you feel ill.

if you are alright, you are healthy - doesn’t matter if you are doing a test or not and if this test is positive.