Main Dining Room reservations needed?

Bkmat

We are new to NCL and have a cruise planned in early 2024.  I have seen the posts about making reservations for the specialty dining venues, but am wondering if it is necessary or advised to make dinner reservations for the free main dining areas?  And, if so, do those reservations open up the same time as the specialty dining restaurants?  Thanks!  

Just now, Bkmat said:

We are new to NCL and have a cruise planned in early 2024.  I have seen the posts about making reservations for the specialty dining venues, but am wondering if it is necessary or advised to make dinner reservations for the free main dining areas?  And, if so, do those reservations open up the same time as the specialty dining restaurants?  Thanks!  

The main MDR did open for reservations on my next cruise.  I booked it at 5:30 for most nights that I don't have specialty dining booked.  Took about 5 minutes.  I'll likely cancel/no-show some of them, but at least I have the place holder if we want it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bkmat said:

To Lloyd Jr:  Did the reservations for the main dining become available when the specialty dining reservations opened?  

I can't remember checking them at that time.  I'm still prior to final payment and was able to book only the "real" main dining room when I recently checked.

27 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Four cruises, family of 7, never made a reservation and never waited, just went to the least filled MDR.

Unfortunately, some of us have had to wait many times, so the question is a valid one.

24 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes they do.

That was not my experience.  At 120 days, specialty dining reservations opened.  However, MDR reservations were not an option online until about 30 days out.  This is a ballpark number; I don't remember exactly when but it was close to online check-in opening.  I am on the April 1 Escape.

Edited by Ramblin and Gamblin

8 hours ago, Ramblin and Gamblin said:

That was not my experience.  At 120 days, specialty dining reservations opened.  However, MDR reservations were not an option online until about 30 days out.  This is a ballpark number; I don't remember exactly when but it was close to online check-in opening.  I am on the April 1 Escape.

Yes, there are always anomalies, especially since Covid, and people may always find that some things aren’t available to book at the time that they should be. However, MDRs and Speciaity restaurants are scheduled to be available, and in my experience are available, at the same time.