Recommendations for Haleakala and Na Pali Coast

Dramatic1

We will be sailing on the POA and will be docked in a Kahuhui in Maui.  I was really interested in an excursion to Haleakala at sunset, however the only one that I could find that included transportation, is sold out. Does anyone know if a way, other than renting a car, that we could do this? 

Secondly, we will be in Nawiliwili, Kauai and the cruise line eliminated the cruise along the Na Pali Coast. Is like the chance to see this, although not by helicopter. Any suggestions how we might be able to do this?  I've seen a few excursions from other sites but have no way of getting to the locations from the port. Again, not really wanting to rent a car. 

Thank you in advance,

Hope

4 hours ago, Dramatic1 said:

I was really interested in an excursion to Haleakala at sunset, however the only one that I could find that included transportation, is sold out. Does anyone know if a way, other than renting a car, that we could do this? 

There are a bunch of tour operators that offer options. Roberts is one of the bigger ones. Its a very serious time investment-- some of the sunset ones that I've seen start as early a 1-2pm and finish 7-8pm. It also can get very crowded. Having been up there a few times I might be jaded but there are better places to watch the sunset-- would much rather be on the beach with a Mai Tai than in 30-40 degree weather freezing up there. 

4 hours ago, Dramatic1 said:

Is like the chance to see this, although not by helicopter. Any suggestions how we might be able to do this?  I've seen a few excursions from other sites but have no way of getting to the locations from the port. Again, not really wanting to rent a car. 

If you don't want a helicopter tour the only other ways are by boat or fixed wing aircraft. Personally I would do the fixed wing option-- there are a few operators you can google for both the boat tours and airplanes. We used Wings Over Kauai before-- they operate some Cessnas and larger aircraft. Good experience.

If you don't rent a car your only option will be to arrange for a private taxi in advance. Don't wait til you get there or else there might not be one available and Uber is very spotty in Kauai at best. 

• Like 1

We will be overnight in Maui. I'd really love to see the stars. I just wish the ship excursion wasn't sold out. I looked at Roberts but don't remember seeing the sunset option for Haleakala. 

I'd like to do a cruise of the Na Pali Coast seeing it from the air gives me anxiety. 

7 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Having been up there (Haleakala) a few times I might be jaded but there are better places to watch the sunset-- would much rather be on the beach with a Mai Tai than in 30-40 degree weather freezing up there. 

Amen.  The only cold things you should experience when you are in Hawaii are the ice cubes in your drink.  There are many places to stargaze here that are at sea level - and a lot closer to your ship. 

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:03 AM, Dramatic1 said:

We will be overnight in Maui. I'd really love to see the stars. I just wish the ship excursion wasn't sold out. I looked at Roberts but don't remember seeing the sunset option for Haleakala. 

I'd like to do a cruise of the Na Pali Coast seeing it from the air gives me anxiety. 

Since you are here overnight, have you considered renting a car? I know it seems like a lot of hassle, but it will provide you lots of freedom and driving here is quite easy. Not to mention you will save bank. It will open you up for two days of exploring on your own. There is so much to see/do here on Maui and it's all really quite doable on your own.

SilverSweetheart is correct in warning you that it's cold on top of Halealaka. Sometimes it's worse than others but it is always cold.  My point was that if you are going to go up for the sunset, you might as well stay another 30 minutes for the stars. There are lots of people who bring up telescopes and are more than happy to let you take a peak. I could clearly see the milkyway one night which I found fascinating. That is something you likely won't find at lower elevations. 

Sunset along the beach is no doubt beautiful, especially with a mai-tai. But for those of us who live in areas without mountains, it's an entirely different experience at 10,000 ft. Here is a photo I shot from Halealaka at sunset.

BTW... are you stopping on the Big Island? We did an astronomy tour there in January. They provided all the cold weather gear and super good telescopes. Since the tour on Maui is sold out, maybe it would work for the Big Island? Moana Kai is even taller at 13,700 feet. NOt sure on the timing.

CA7E8C38-2DB0-4F7F-ACA0-3D93A77C3067.jpeg

F73F06D3-DB96-4B7A-A8FF-ED68533C320D.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014